dCS Apex series is here

Raising prices has to be timed like a good cognac. The intrigue continues.

I see that indeed, for the second time, the new price list has been removed. This morning it was coming from my dealer’s site, not the importer’s.

Yep - they never release software for old machines, so we’ll be stuck with the dropped start of DSD tracks bug forever. :frowning:

Ben , that is not exactly the case for the entire base of legacy products. When a product is discontinued there is no continuing development of upgrades for it. Its replacement is then , if you like, the upgrade and there may be a px allowance against that new purchase ( subject to the local dealer or distributor). Of course hardware upgrades have never been free.

As for Rossini it is not being discontinued .It currently seems that there will be an upgraded model of the same base product to be made available. What that upgrade is precisely looks as if it will be revealed later in the month. However I I hope that it may be retrofitted to existing Rossini pieces but whether the owner wants or can afford to do that would be up to them. Software upgrades therefore continue but depending on what Apex is, may not necessarily always be applicable to both pre and post Apex models. I would guess that if Apex is a hardware upgrade then that situation would not arise. The same argument goes for Vivaldi.

Of course the old model will continue to work and great sound will not suddenly become poor sound overnight. Even when it is discontinued there will still be support if it goes wrong. There should also be continuing upgrades for Mosaic ( as a feature common to all current product) until such time if and when Mosaic is replaced as the streaming platform.

1 Like

I’m sure you can understand my frustration as dCS promised a fix for the DSD bug in the Rossini in the “next” software release - and that promise was made in August, 2020.

Rossini DSD bug

Yes, it should be fixed. But Rossini and Vivaldi appear to continue in an enhanced form and I would expect all or most software or firmware upgrades to be common to pre and post Apex models.

There’s no Bartok with headphone amp in that price list. That’s an interesting omission. One could suppose that if supplies are limited dCS has to focus on making what they do best (DACs)—if they had to make choices, drop the headphone amp thing. Glad I have mine.

Info I received let me hear that it will be a hardware upgrade and that actual owner will be able to benefit of it , Great. This is a very good news. But I wait to know what will change and of course musical impact. On this mater I trust DCS team, when I remember impact of version 2.0… where I am very curious is the price of this upgrade, because it will be difficult to accept to pay the total increasing of the price. The latest price includes new increasing due to duties from Brexit, metalwork, électronic components, freight…. So upgrade would be only a part of it. What would I would like is thé change of the drive for thé Rossini transport one…

1 Like

If you mean to swap the Rossini Player drive for the SACD drive in the Rossini Transport, that won’t happen, the drive in the Transport is physically larger in size and wouldn’t fit, and the electronics in the Player wouldn’t be able to deal with a DSD stream coming from the internal CD transport.

1 Like

This Belgian dCS dealer advertises (almost) all new prices, and mentions a Rossini DAC V03. No mention of Apex.

https://www.widescreenaudio.be/product-category/audio/brands/dcs/

It does not show a Bartók HDAC.

17h44…https://www.moremusic.nl/prijslijsten/dcs.pdf

Now it is back to the 2021 pricing…It is total panic here…Or the importer does not want to apply the new pricing, he is afraid of losing 99% of his clients…an unknown problem for the Chinese and Brunei importers :joy:

reading the specs there I can’t find out what they changed…

I think those specs are cut&paste from Rossini v2. The TM next to Tidal et al seems to be in line with that.

From what I read above it seems that the analog output and Ring DAC boards are new. The changes might not change the “observable” specs.

Wrong approach from widescreen. They change the price without having new specs, that are not available yet. So very had information.

It was mentioned on a few sites. I did make a post in this thread late last year.

…if a Rossini Apex is on level with a Vivaldi l‘m in :grinning:

1 Like

Great forum, but kind of difficult for a new-bee to follow this topic across multiple threads and posts. If I understand things correct, these are among the most relevant posts:

Product announcement coming later in Feb

Price list published by a dealer shows 25% rise. Since this list was published and removed twice, it isn’t unreasonable to speculate that the reference to Apex is under embargo.

and last but not least, speculation around the Apex upgrade. if this is true, I personally think it is a great way of upgrading the Vivaldi and Rossini platforms as loyal customers have a significant upgrade path that doesn’t require abandoning their existing investment

2 Likes

The world of high end audio isn’t that big; you’d think dCS and Gryphon could have avoided using the same name. :grin:

The Gryphon Apex and Commander

So now you can have Gryphon Apex amplifiers to go with your dCS Apex Rossini DAC. :rofl:

1 Like

That explains it! The Apex Rossini is a Rossini in a Gryphon case! Brillante!

3 Likes

Looks like it’s for tomorrow