dCS Apex series is here

The Apex leak is not really a bad thing, at least dCS can see how a part of its customer base reacts to a 25% price increase…they shall couple that with their selling results in the next months and may be adapt their commercial strategy for the next time…that may lead to another 25% increase :joy:

1 Like

Let’s hope we don’t have to buy Bartok and Rossini before buying Vivaldi. By the way, a clock might also be one of the prerequisites. When I ordered from the dealer he told me: “You do realise you’re buying a Ferrari, don’t you?”. :joy:I only smiled in reply. I call this behaviour puffed up cheeks. The truth is, it would be boring to live without it. When I think back on it, it makes me smile, like good music.

I’m quite happy with the idea of ​​a hardware upgrade, if it’s going to be a significant step forward. Although such a price increase is more suitable for a completely new product.
In the case of Bartok, I still hope to get a free upgrade to 2.0, as you did for Rossini. For this reason, it is because of the long support and possible improvements in the future that I chose my dCS.
But will new customers pay for this free update by purchasing Bartok 2.0 at the new price? The surcharge for the conditional Apex is OK, but what is the surcharge for the clock, upsampler, Bartok without this Apex?
It would be interesting to figure out what we are paying for, for dCS expenses or for new hardware functionality.

My concern would be whether or not the Rossini and Apex will coexist and what that might mean for software updates. I purchase the Rossini and Clock less than a year ago. I was coming from a similarly constructed FPGA DAC that had run its course and the FPGA could no longer be updated. I was assured by my dealer and the North America Sales Manager that no replacement was being contemplated and the Rossini had much life left in it. If the current Rossini will not have the benefit of future software updates without the Apex hardware update then I have spent a lot of money to be in the same position as a year ago with my old DAC.

Honestly, thats the risk you run with any purchase, especially the purchase of a product that is not new by a long shot (Rossini). I bought my Rossini 5 years ago and it was not new then. A company cannot support products forever.

Having said this, the current platform will at least be present in Bartok, hence I very much doubt updates will stop for the current Rossini and Vivaldi - it is not a lot of work to test updates on this other (essentially identical in terms of software) platforms.

As for what Apex is going to be, I will take a guess… Why not?

Hardware changes:
1- Improvement in the analog output stage; and/or
2- New Ring DAC with higher sample rate, bit depth, or a combination.

Software changes:
3- Implementation of this newly developed volume control algorythm I have heard about lately (forget what it’s called, used in the Lumin products and some other places)
4- Network card software will be fully revamped with current Roon, Airplay, Spotify Connect, and Tidal Connect

What will not change:
5- No changes to power supplies
6- No changes to clocks
7- No hardware changes to network cards (inside Bartok/Rossini/Upsampler)

Fun stuff…

So at least in the US, the upgrade path for Rossini is that it will have to be shipped to Goodwins or Goodwyn’s (not sure of the spelling, got this info over the phone), and for $8,600 they will replace the ring dac and analog section to Apex. Rear plate will also say Apex. Then return the unit back to the owner. So there are definite hardware changes, though the extent of the changes will likely be known once dCS officially announce Apex.

1 Like

Wow! So I was not that off with the above???

You were right on seemingly.

1 Like

So if this were a car, we’d essentially be looking at an LCI in BMW parlance. I avoided using the word facelift since the case remains the same. Since I’m happy with my Rossini, my likely path is to sit this one out and wait for the true next generation, at which time I’ll move up the line to whatever will occupy Vivaldi’s spot.

1 Like

I appreciate it when products have long lives. Just right now I’m listening to a CD on my Resolution Audio Cantata that I purchased around 2010 (it’s my only CD player). The Cantata has been updated at least 3 times, at least twice with hardware and one or more with firmware. Last year it received DSD capability. Hardware updates were turned around in a matter of days. For the 2.0 to 3.0 update I did pay the retail cost differential, but all other updates were minimal cost.

I’m fine if hardware updates can be made several years into a product lifecycle, and it’s fair to ask the consumer to pay the cost difference (or whatever the update package costs). But if someone buys a device 30 days prior to the update release there ought to be minimal cost updates grandfathered in. That, to me, is taking care of your customer base.

Another benefit of updating hardware is the reuse of the container device. Box remains the same, just the innards change. Less waste. Naturally, at some point, there’s a full remodel, new box and all.

FYI the Resolution Audio gear comes in wooden crates, so shipping is never an issue. Both DAC and amp have had several rounds trips with zero issues and crates still look good as new.

2 Likes

I hope you are wrong about some of this at least. I was hoping for a cost closer to $5000 but so be it. The part I really hope you are wrong about is sending the unit back to England. I would guess without any real information that the largest market for dCS is the US and that a NA contractor or service center would be set up to handle the upgrade service. When I ordered the Rossini I was initially told a four week delivery date. I took delivery at the end of the ninth week. In these times I do not trust any manufacturers ETA and do not relish being without my DAC for an extended period.

I agree with that

PS: Take it back - don’t agree since it looks like they will provide an upgrade path just for the price difference.

Funny, I had a Resolution Audio Cantata myself since 2010 and finally sold it last year after I had gotten into dCS. Phenomenal sound, though atrocious app to control it. Mosaic was for me a visit to the spa in comparison.

dCS has service in the US. Surely not a trip to the UK will be required.

I’ve never heard of the outfit I mentioned, so not sure where they’re at. It’s just what my dealer told me. He’d provide a label for shipping. He was reaching out to all his dCS clients to tell them about the forthcoming update.

I don’t use the Cantata app. I don’t even use Mosaic except to manage the Bartok. I use Roon.

I would have a hard time parting with the Cantata (I have the amp too). I still need a silver disc spinner and I figured I’d use it until the player dies. No idea what they’re worth second hand. I have a dream of someday building a second efficient speaker system around it.

As @James just wrote:

• We’ve managed to keep product lead times stable, and maintain continuous research and development, but this has come at an added cost, and our price increases effective Feb 1st mirror this additional expense.

• We do have an announcement to make later in February.

Could be Goodwin’s in Boston

James has little concrete information. It reminds me of politicians saying: we are very deeply concerned… Let’s wait

Sweetie darling - he works for dCS.