How do we collect information?
We collect data about the visitors to our site at the following times:
- When you browse the site.
- When you create and use an account on the site.
- When you post, send messages, or otherwise participate in the site.
Information is collected whether you use a web browser on your computer or mobile device or use one of the mobile apps provided by the developer of our forum software.
We do not buy or otherwise receive any information about you from any outside source.
What information do we collect?
We collect information from you when you register on our site and gather data about you when you participate in the forum by reading, writing, and evaluating the content shared here.
The information gathered when browsing the site, regardless of whether or not you have an account is as follows:
- The pages you visit on the site.
- The IP address of the device you are using to browse the site.
- The incoming link that brought you to the site as well as any outgoing links you click from within the site pages.
- The amount of time you spend reading any given post.
- The user profiles that you view.
When you register for an account we we collect the following data:
- The email address used to register the account.
- Your name (as entered by you) to register the account.
- The IP address of the device used to register the account.
If you are logged into an account on the site then we collect the following additional data:
- Likes given and flags being requested.
- The IP address of the device being used to interact with the site.
When registering on our site, you will be asked to enter your name and e-mail address. You may, however, visit our site without registering. Your e-mail address will be verified by an email containing a unique link. If that link is visited, we know that you control the e-mail address.
What do we use your information for?
The information we collect from you may be used in one of the following ways:
- To improve the operation or performance of the site for the benefit of all users.
- To diagnose and debug technical errors.
- To compile statistics on the popularity of the site or its content.
- To defend the site from abuse or technical attack.
Data compiled in an identifiable form is typically only retained for a short period of time (usually a couple of weeks), but in special circumstances (i.e. law-enforcement request or investigation) we may retain identifiable information for a longer period. We maintain aggregate data and statistics on the forum for as long as we host it, but that data does not have any personally identifiable information in it.
Registered and logged-in users
In addition to the uses above, the information collected from logged-in users is used for the following:
- To personalize your experience on the site.
- To create pages specific to your account (like your profile page)
- To remember your preferences with regard to site features.
- To remember the content that you have previously interacted with.
- To provide you with the ability to interact with the site in the ways in which you are authorized (post content, send private messages, edit your profile, etc).
- To allow you to interact with the content posted by other members (like posts, view profiles, etc).
- To provide the entire community with information about the popularity of content (post likes, followed links, etc).
- To respond to customer service requests and support issues (as they relate to the dcs.community site only).
You may provide additional information about yourself via your profile. This information will be published to other users who are logged into the site. You may edit or delete this information at any time by simply visiting your profile page.
A special note about email
Your email address is collected and retained as part of the registration process and having a valid email address on record is essential to site function. Your email address is used for the following functions:
- To validate your registration.
- To reset your password and otherwise keep your account secure.
- To contact you directly about issues with your account on the site.
- To contact you regarding legal issues (such as DMCA takedown requests)
- To provide you with notifications of activity on the site that pertains to you. This includes:
- Responses to posts that you started, are participating in, or are watching
- Notifications of private messages sent to you via the site.
- Notifications of another user mentioning your username.
- To send a periodic digest of activity on the site should you not visit for a while.
Please note that email notifications are fully configurable in your profile and you may change your preferences at any time.
Since handing out an email address is a sensitive topic these are the things that we assure you we will NEVER do with the email address provided:
- You will never be added to a bulk email list (marketing or otherwise) managed or sponsored by the owner of this site (Data Conversion Systems, Ltd). We will not spam you.
- Your email address will never be given, sold, or otherwise released to a third party unless under the force of law.
- Your email address will never be used to match you to any other database for marketing or any other purposes.
On the site itself your email is only visible to you and the members of our staff (identified as such in their profiles). Staff access to email addresses is logged.
Does the site comply with the European General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)?
The site respects privacy rights under Regulation (EU) 2016/679, the European Union’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). Information that GDPR requires the site to give can be found throughout this privacy notice. So can information about specific rights, like access, rectification, erasure, data portability, and objection to automated decision-making.
Where is my data stored?
Your data, as well as the entire content of the site is stored on servers belonging to our hosting provider located in a datacenter near Washington, D.C. USA.
Where can I view my data?
You can view your data by visiting your account page on the site. This includes your profile information, preferences, messages, and activity. You can download a copy of your data by following the link on your account activity page.
Can I change or delete my data?
You can change your data by editing the information on your profile page. Should you no longer wish to participate in the site and would like to remove all personally identifiable information the site administrators can assist you. Your account will be closed and all content that you have posted to the site will be anonymized. Your personally identifiable information will be purged in the process.
You also have the option of editing and/or deleting content that you post to the site (with certain time restrictions). Should you edit or delete content your revisions will be stored in the site, but not generally visible. Site administrators and moderators will have the ability to make this content visible or revert edits if needed.
Does the site use my data to make automated decisions?
Some site functions are automated and based on your data.
We utilize an automated process to flag forum posts that are most likely spam. When this system flags a post the forum will not accept it.
If you feel that the system is improperly classifying your post please contact the site administrators or moderators. They can override the automated system if appropriate.
As users participate on the site over an extended period the site will automatically award trust levels that include increased functionality along with additional privileges for the user. Should you feel that a trust level is awarded or revoked improperly please contact the site administrators and they will be able to help you.
How do we protect your information?
We implement a variety of security measures to maintain the safety of your personal information when you enter, submit, or access your personal information.
What is your data retention policy?
We will make a good faith effort to:
- Retain the IP addresses associated with registered users and their posts no more than 2 weeks.
- Retain forum activity logs for no more than 90 days.
- Retain your personal data (as described in this policy) up until the point that you request change or deletion.
Yes. Cookies are small files that a site or its service provider transfers to your computer’s hard drive through your Web browser (if you allow). These cookies enable the site to recognize your browser and, if you have a registered account, associate it with your registered account.
Do we disclose any information to outside parties?
We do not sell, trade, or otherwise transfer to outside parties your personally identifiable information. This does not include trusted third parties who assist us in operating our site or servicing you, so long as those parties agree to keep this information confidential. The following companies provide these services in support of the site:
|Data Conversion Systems, Ltd.||https://www.dcsltd.co.uk/privacy-policy/||Owner of the dcs.community website and associated content.|
|Akismet||https://automattic.com/privacy/||Provides automated tools to combat spam posting on forum sites.|
|DiscourseHosting.com||https://www.discoursehosting.com/privacy-policy/||Hosting service provider for dcs.community|
|Google Analytics||https://www.google.com/analytics/terms/||Provides site usage analytics services. You can opt-out through the use of a browser plug-in.|
We may also release your information when we believe release is appropriate to comply with the law, enforce our site policies, or protect ours or others rights, property, or safety.
As this is a public forum other unrelated individuals and entities may use the contents of your posts that are published on the site.
Third party links
Occasionally, at our discretion, we may include links to third party products or services on our site. These third party sites have separate and independent privacy policies. We therefore have no responsibility or liability for the content and activities of these linked sites. Nonetheless, we seek to protect the integrity of our site and welcome any feedback about these sites.
Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act Compliance
Our site, products and services are all directed to people who are at least 13 years old or older. If this server is in the USA, and you are under the age of 13, per the requirements of COPPA (Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act), do not use this site.
Should you wish to opt-out of any of the data processing described in this policy then we suggest you exercise your right of erasure and discontinue your participation in the site.
This document was last edited on 23-May-2018
email: [email protected]
phone: +44 01954 233950
Data Conversion Systems Ltd
Unit 1, Buckingway Business Park
Swavesey, Cambridgeshire, CB24 4AE
How to complain
We hope that we can resolve any query or concern you raise about our use of your information.
The General Data Protection Regulation also gives you right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority, in particular in the European Union (or European Economic Area) state where you work, normally live or where any alleged infringement of data protection laws occurred. The supervisory authority in the UK is the Information Commissioner who may be contacted at https://ico.org.uk/concerns/ or telephone: 0303 123 1113.