dCS Apex series is here

I checked today at 14h05 on the Moremusic.nl website and it was still the july 2021 pricelist to be seen.

Anyway, I guess that the pricelist you got shall show up very soon. However I am surprised, even concerned, that there is no upgrade pricing…It would be sad if no Apex upgrade is possible…I suppose Apex is a nice improvment, we see that later this month…

Is working for the Dcs supposed to be less humane to its clients? Today, February 1, the new price list next to Vivaldi says Apex. Does anyone know what that is? Why is the information coming later? If I order a Vivaldi DAC today will someone tell me what Apex is? Will I be able to listen to something I have to pay 25% more for? Lots of questions, no answers. It’s not a question of who works for whom, it’s that from a strategic point of view, this price increase situation is completely ill-conceived and unprepared. Yes, around the world prices have crept up on many products. Transparency and cooperation with the customer. No customers, no Dcs. I have no beef with James. He is probably following in the footsteps of how Dcs management sees the relationship with their clients. You have to take special care of your clients, especially the regular ones. I do exactly that.

15h17 update…still no new pricelist…but the old one has been removed…the bad news are coming slowly…it is like a doctor paying attention to the mental wellness of his patient :laughing:

2 Likes

A key takeaway is their continued commitment to allow the embedded base of product the ability to upgrade. Existing base is not end of life. So you get a new Rossini DAC for only 8,500. Pretty sweet.

Raising prices has to be timed like a good cognac. The intrigue continues.

I see that indeed, for the second time, the new price list has been removed. This morning it was coming from my dealer’s site, not the importer’s.

Yep - they never release software for old machines, so we’ll be stuck with the dropped start of DSD tracks bug forever. :frowning:

Ben , that is not exactly the case for the entire base of legacy products. When a product is discontinued there is no continuing development of upgrades for it. Its replacement is then , if you like, the upgrade and there may be a px allowance against that new purchase ( subject to the local dealer or distributor). Of course hardware upgrades have never been free.

As for Rossini it is not being discontinued .It currently seems that there will be an upgraded model of the same base product to be made available. What that upgrade is precisely looks as if it will be revealed later in the month. However I I hope that it may be retrofitted to existing Rossini pieces but whether the owner wants or can afford to do that would be up to them. Software upgrades therefore continue but depending on what Apex is, may not necessarily always be applicable to both pre and post Apex models. I would guess that if Apex is a hardware upgrade then that situation would not arise. The same argument goes for Vivaldi.

Of course the old model will continue to work and great sound will not suddenly become poor sound overnight. Even when it is discontinued there will still be support if it goes wrong. There should also be continuing upgrades for Mosaic ( as a feature common to all current product) until such time if and when Mosaic is replaced as the streaming platform.

1 Like

I’m sure you can understand my frustration as dCS promised a fix for the DSD bug in the Rossini in the “next” software release - and that promise was made in August, 2020.

Rossini DSD bug

Yes, it should be fixed. But Rossini and Vivaldi appear to continue in an enhanced form and I would expect all or most software or firmware upgrades to be common to pre and post Apex models.

There’s no Bartok with headphone amp in that price list. That’s an interesting omission. One could suppose that if supplies are limited dCS has to focus on making what they do best (DACs)—if they had to make choices, drop the headphone amp thing. Glad I have mine.

Info I received let me hear that it will be a hardware upgrade and that actual owner will be able to benefit of it , Great. This is a very good news. But I wait to know what will change and of course musical impact. On this mater I trust DCS team, when I remember impact of version 2.0… where I am very curious is the price of this upgrade, because it will be difficult to accept to pay the total increasing of the price. The latest price includes new increasing due to duties from Brexit, metalwork, électronic components, freight…. So upgrade would be only a part of it. What would I would like is thé change of the drive for thé Rossini transport one…

1 Like

If you mean to swap the Rossini Player drive for the SACD drive in the Rossini Transport, that won’t happen, the drive in the Transport is physically larger in size and wouldn’t fit, and the electronics in the Player wouldn’t be able to deal with a DSD stream coming from the internal CD transport.

1 Like

This Belgian dCS dealer advertises (almost) all new prices, and mentions a Rossini DAC V03. No mention of Apex.

https://www.widescreenaudio.be/product-category/audio/brands/dcs/

It does not show a Bartók HDAC.

17h44…https://www.moremusic.nl/prijslijsten/dcs.pdf

Now it is back to the 2021 pricing…It is total panic here…Or the importer does not want to apply the new pricing, he is afraid of losing 99% of his clients…an unknown problem for the Chinese and Brunei importers :joy:

reading the specs there I can’t find out what they changed…

I think those specs are cut&paste from Rossini v2. The TM next to Tidal et al seems to be in line with that.

From what I read above it seems that the analog output and Ring DAC boards are new. The changes might not change the “observable” specs.

Wrong approach from widescreen. They change the price without having new specs, that are not available yet. So very had information.

It was mentioned on a few sites. I did make a post in this thread late last year.

…if a Rossini Apex is on level with a Vivaldi l‘m in :grinning:

1 Like