Audiophile fuses

Hi,
Is it advisable to use audiophile fuses (500mA) instead of the dCS 500mA fuses. Any sound improvement? I use a Bartok (1 A fuses) and Scarlatti clock (500 mA fuses), plus an atomic clock from STR. dCS told me always using the same technical specifications in case of exchage.

Thanks
Eckart

Bartok uses a 1A slow blow?

2 Likes

This is what dCS told me!
Thanks anyway

T 1A L fuse

Advisable or not, cannot(do not want to) comment. Sound improvement, yes for me, I use Synergistic Research Orange.

2 Likes

Agreed. In high-end audio, just about everything matters, including fuses. One of the most surprisingly effective upgrades for me was replacing my stock wall outlet with a Furutech GTX Rhodium outlet. Crazy!
You can try Synergistic fuses for 30 days and see if they make a difference in your system.

I think that may only apply in the USA and/or from certain dealers. I have never seen a similar offer in the UK.

Which of the SR Oranges would suit Bartok? And how to correctly set its direction?

The answer to the first part of your question is already answered in the above postings. It should have the same value as the one already supplied by dCS . If you do nor know what this is your user manual will tell you in the section dealing with replacing fuses.

As for directionality ( if such a thing exists) the fuse holder with dCS equipment makes it hard to judge which way round the fuse is in relation to the actual circuit when inserted as you cannot see. So try it both ways.

SR fuse

2 Likes

Hi Erno,

Apologies is this is a dim question but is it likely to be the case that the fuse should be inserted into a fuse holder in the same direction with other manufacturer’s equipment I.e. the current generally flows in the same direction with respect to the fuse holder? I’m talking specifically about fuses that can be accessed via a fuse holder from outside the component, not where you have to take the lid off.

Thanks, Mike.

Synergistic Research has a 30 day money-back policy for purchases through any dealer, world-wide.

1 Like

Sorry, I have no idea.

In general the advice is to break in the fuse, 200+ hours of listening. Then try it in both directions to see which is best.

Also, see the thread that Ermos linked to that discussed the Synergistic fuse direction for dCS:

1 Like

A German friend has experienced

with Synergistic. He recommended me these ones:

I haven’t alteed the specification of any internal equipment fuses but I’ve fitted a cardas shuko wall outlet feeding an EU specification Denali, thus eliminating numerous mains fuses.

I cannot advise how suitable or safe this setup is for anyone else but I understand that all my mains leads are protected by the type b mcb feeding my dedicated HiFi ring.

I Just spoke with a dealer here for SR fuses and he was far more keen on Quantum Science Audio ones. These go up to £2200 per fuse which seems reasonable to me. Given that in the UK there is a fuse in the mains plug as well as the component itself I need 24 fuses . So that is only £ 52800 .This must be the right way to spend my money for the biggest audio improvement. It is clear to me that the Apex upgrade could not be as significant. I understand that they make Florence Foster Jenkins sound like Jessye Norman. So, unless anyone dissuades me, I shall order two complete sets as I like to keep spares in case they blow.

:crazy_face: for anyome not appreciating heavy irony.

5 Likes

David, do I deduce from your post that you are based in the UK or Ireland?

I like the idea of substituting the UK fused plugs with Shuko where there is a dedicated mains circuit i.e not part of a ring main. In fact when we were part of the EU there was a move ( later abandoned) to make Shuko legitimate here. However without being authorised for UK use I have to point out that there is a risk regarding insurance cover.

I read that the use of Schuko sockets is allowed within the UK regs as long as the circuit is fused accordingly. Of course, this may disappear now we’ve left the EU and, perhaps more significantly, many electricians won’t have delved this far into the more obscure reaches of the regs, so would probably say ‘nah, mate’.