Audiophile fuses

It’s not electricians that we need be concerned about but loss adjusters.

2 Likes

Agreed, but if it is in the regs, I can’t see how a loss adjuster could complain.

My point about the electricians was more that, if you can’t find one to fit such a socket, the loss adjuster becomes a moot point (unless you attempt it yourself, which I wouldn’t recommend).

It is NOT in the regs as far as I can find out. That is not to say that it may not be hidden away somewhere but all references I am able to come across state without further ado that unfused plugs are illegal in the UK. The reason is straightforward. All opinions ( in brief) are based upon the UK use of a ring main and the maximum load it can cope with.

Loss adjusters are not expert electricians. They are just as “expert” in judging the replacement value of your carpets or freezer contents after an electrical fire .What you said about the average sparks applies equally to loss adjusters :

The same goes for the loss adjuster. Given a fire where you have to move into a hotel or other temporary accommodation maybe you could argue and win your case about the use of Schuko plugs. However it may take months including a reference to the Financial Services Ombudsman. The insurance company is not going to be paying for your hotel meanwhile.

I have not said don’t do it but the possibility of insurance difficulties cannot be overlooked.

Of course as you say, if you can’t get it fitted in the first place…

BTW, ever tried instructing a local British electrician that you want a dedicated circuit for your audio system? You may as well have asked him to write 3,000 words on the Edo culture in 17th century Japan.

…all references I am able to come across state without further ado that unfused plugs are illegal in the UK

This was certainly not someone that understood the regs and they shouldn’t be so hasty in making such a proclamation! Older round pin sockets are still allowed (and used for lighting), the appropriate plugs don’t have fuses

As I say, I seem to recall the regs did have a clause in there that allowed for this, but the section was a little obscure and dependant on the same level of safety provided as a UK socket (which could be open to interpretation).

I’ve haven’t revisited this subject recently as putting in a dedicated line with such sockets is not something we have planned in the immediate future. However, I would make sure I understood the regs very clearly before wiring in a Schuko socket into the ring mains.

I can’t answer what an insurance company would do. Some would undoubtably do anything to get out of a claim…

I love the comment about getting a local UK electrician to install a dedicated fuse box - exactly the experience I had when asking for a dedicated fuse box, although he was friendly and professional so still fitted it for me, after telling me it was a total waste of my money……

I know you were being facetious, but if you really were speaking to an SR dealer, be sure to try the newer Purple fuses; they are audibly better IMHO than the Orange or Blue fuses.

Since there is a 30 day money back guarantee, it certainly wouldn’t hurt to try one, would it?

Yes, I really was speaking to an SR dealer. No purple fuse though - there is a mid level violet, could that be the same?. If so only £570 each. And I only require 24 of them for the system. Let me see that comes out at £13,600, - that’s almost a whole hour’s net income :wink:

Seriously, I am not in that league.

Yours,

Jeff Bezos

3 Likes

Thanks all for sharing good hints and advices. I went for a pair of Refine AUDIO and paid not more than 50 Euro - for a pair. It really affects the sound in the direction of improving, you are getting a more firm, crispy change with more grip. dCS should consider exchanging standard fuses when delivering their units.

see also:

1 Like

If fuses change the sound - and I have little doubt that trey do, it also seems that different fuses change the sound in different ways. This has been my experience and is a reason why audiophile fuse makers such as SR or Audio Science offer a variety of choices or why you or other enthusiasts may choose one over another.

The aim of dCS is to make equipment that does not have any particular flavour or “voice”. It would therefore be inconsistent for them to offer any fuse beyond that which simply meets the necessary safety requirements. Thereafter it has to be down to the individual to choose what suits his personal tastes and his system ( both being unknown and unpredictable from dCS’ viewpoint).

Further as the prices of audiophile fuses range from a few pounds to many thousands it is difficult to imagine how any exchange scheme would work as that supplied as standard has a value of only a few pence. So any part exchange value would be
nugatory.

BTW, my objections to audiophile fuses in this thread are not about the concept per se but the absurd prices that can be asked for a few millimetres of thin wire in a tiny glass tube.

3 Likes

Pete,

agree on the prices, it is absurd to take 600 USD or something else.
Regarding dCS I do understand that they equip with their standard fuses but they should mention that there are more options to improve the sound.
Anyway they did, as they suggested this platform for me.

Best
Eckart

1 Like