Replacing Fuses

Has anyone tried replacing standard fuses in a dCS component or any other part of their system with the “audiophile” variety of fuses and had positive sonic results? My dealer is recommending the Synergistic Research Master fuses - but at £600 I am sceptical at best! https://www.synergisticresearch.com/fuses/master-fuse/
Thoughts please?

I saw a great improvement on my (now departed) Meridian system using SR Orange fuses, but I haven’t tried the SR Master fuses. IIRC some reviews felt it overdid things a little.

On my Rossini, I’m using a Quantum Science Red, which I like but required a long settling period.

If it helps, Farad did a comparitive review here: A Melting Wire, A Body, and Two End-Caps

One other thought worth mentioning.

I’ve had a few SR fuses fail within the first few hours of their life, however SR have always replaced them without quibble. The ‘but’ is I suggest you buy them from a local dealer.

I couldn’t find an SR Orange locally, so sourced from the US. The cost of shipping was high, but this didn’t put me off… until one blew and I was told I would have to pay the return shipping costs to the US which was going to be more expensive than the fuse itself!

Fortunately, my local dealer and the regional distributor took pity and replaced it on the proviso I bought no more of them from overseas!

1 Like

It can be useful to use the search facility to check the archives. There have been many threads on this topic, Here’s one as an example:

I would also remind UK friends that our mains system really requires that both component and mains wire (plug) fuses need attention if you have the opinion that this matters.I don’t see the point of upgrading the component’s inlet fuse if it is preceded a metre before by comparatively “poor” fuse. What about the sound from the amp’s fuses subsequently and how they affect things?

Thank you for your response Jeremy which I found helpful and constructive.

1 Like

Indeed. I’m using one main fuse which goes to the Shunyata Triton/Typhon power distributor combo, both of which have automated circuit breakers. As all the cables are more than capable of carrying 13A, this seems fine. I wouldn’t want to try this with some 3A flex plugged in, though!

Yes ,by using the Shunyata you have effectively circumvented the UK ring mains system for your audio system. The ring mains being the reason for our fused plugs.

I think it worth mentioning that ‘circumventing’ might be interpreted by some to mean this is bypassing the safety mechanisms used in a UK ring main, which isn’t the case here.

Given the Shunyata units are still powered from a fused plug (and have additional internal circuit breakers), this setup should be no more unsafe than having a 13A fuse in plug for your cable to your amplifier.

It might be risky to use a power cable from the power distributor that can’t handle 13A, however that is a position every country without fuses in their sockets is in.

I’ve replaced fuses in all of my electronics, including my dCS Vivaldi. Started with SR purple fuses. Recently replaced by Sharkwire ((Vulcan and Genesis). They make a lot of (positive) difference in SQ.

1 Like

A sr master fuse replaced a purple in my Rossini. Results are outstanding . Could do the same in Vivaldi clock.

1 Like

Interesting! Couple of questions. How was the SQ improved/changed? Did you replace any other fuses or just in your Rossini? Thanks!

1 Like

They have effectively controlled bass and improved micro and micro dynamics of my system. Love them.

It was a while ago, but I found the SR Orange improved everything about my Meridian system.

The Quantum Science Red on my Rossini started with a great improvement on both micro dynamics and realism of the sound, but you then go on a bit of a bumpy ride after somewhere around 18 hours for the next 200+ hours, which makes comparisons really difficult.

My feeling is the system ended up better than when the fuse first went in, but comparing against the SR fuse is almost impossible after this length of time (at least without a lot of faffing around and I feel life is too short).

1 Like