SR fuses replacement

Very easy, if you don’t trust them, don’t buy / use them. "Problem”solved. I use them for all my components for almost 12 years.
The End.

2 Likes

Ruud, would we mind letting me know which end of the fuse is positive? As you know SR fuse is directional. Your advice will save me from hours of trial-and-error.

SR fuse

2 Likes

Now the question is which direction should they be inserted into the device (DAC or clock)?

which direction should the fuse be inserted into this casing?

SR fuse

2 Likes

Thank you for your help, Ruud.
This will save hours of test-and-learn.
Thank you.

Thank you!

using a SR Orange in a bartok w/headamp,

tested in both directions,

1 Like

Alternating current does not have a specific direction. It (as the name says) alternates.
The only thing I could imagine is that the contacts the fuse holder makes with the fuse are not identical on both sides. That would be a random effect. So you simply need to try both directions and determine whether one direction sounds better to you

Just wondering, since my understanding of electrical engineering is close to non-existent. Is any of the electricity within the DAC converted from AC to DC?

Yes. All of it. That is what the rectifier in the power supply does.

2 Likes

Thanks for explaining. So where is the fuse typically located? Is it at the beginning of the DC electrical path, right after the rectifier?

I promise that this is not a facetious question: can someone describe what “better” is with respect to the fuse upgrade being discussed here? I’m interested in a more specific description of what sound parameters are affected by the fuse change. I ask because one person’s “better” can merely be another person’s “different”.

There is no objective factor which makes one fuse “better” then another. All that they need to do is fail when an electrical fault occurs so their electrical rating and provenance is important . However many hold that different fuses can result in changes of sound. These changes can affect all of its parameters or only some. If that is the case is a change necessarily better? That will depend upon the circumstances and listener preferences. So your concluding sentence is a reasonable description of reality except that I would extend it to include the possibility that one person’s “better” may be another’s “worse”.

Very much a “suck it and see” subject.

1 Like

No, the power supply needs to be protected by the fuse as well. One may think that as we are dealing with a circuit the fuse could be placed anywhere so long as the circuit is disconnected in the case of an electrical fault. However for various safety reasons the primary fuse is placed before the load which means it is normally on the AC inlet line. For dCS equipment you will find that the fuse is physically situated in the mains power receptacle. Of course there may be other protection devices elsewhere in an electrical circuit depending upon the design.

1 Like

Could a helpful soul please tell me the fuse rating for the Rossini Clock in the U.S.?

The manual just says “20 x 5mm T 1A L” and the rear of the unit says “Use only with a 250V fuse.”

The 250V bit gives me pause, since I’m in the U.S.

Does the Rossini Clock not need a different fuse in the U.S. vs. the UK (230V, remember), for example?

Everyone in the U.S. or Canada have this on theirs?

most of audiophile equipment 110 or 240v … use 250v fuse … meaning, Y=you are good. The voltage rating of a fuse is the max voltage you want them to break.

Obviously if the fuse cas break (open) at 250 volts it will also open for 110v.

1 Like