Playing DSD .dsf files from the beginning on the Rossini skips the first 0.84 second of audio

Aside from a single update to Mosaic in December 2020 there have been no product updates for anything since March 2020. I doubt that it is only a coincidence that this date is approximately when Covid 19 restrictions commenced in the UK . That date was, of course the release date, preparation of that update would have been undertaken earlier. I imagine that the dispersal of many key employees from the factory to home working has delayed a number of projects or placed them on ice.

Mosaic 1.1.3 was released the 29th April, 2021:

Being in the software industry myself, COVID has had little effect on most software projects as, unlike hardware development, software development can easily be done at home using local compilers or VPNs.

In fact, for many projects itā€™s actually accelerated development somewhat as employees no longer need to waste time commuting to and from the office.

Obviously this isnā€™t true if their developer/developers became ill, but if it was just the transition to working from home, that shouldnā€™t have delayed things much.

Yes v .1.1.3 this was a rapid update to Decemberā€™s v.1.1.2 to correct a number of glitches and I had forgotten it was necessary. Of course it would have been in development though not signed off before the Covid restrictions hit .My main point was I was trying to distinguish product updates ( why I chose that word ) meaning Bartok, Rossini and Vivaldi as distinct from Mosaic.

1.1.3 is both a minor product update, and a minor Mosaic update.

Ernos that is just a bit of point scoring. I am well aware that Mosaic is implemented within the products. What BillK is writing about is , as forecast by James Cook above in this thread :

Such updates are generally not that frequent irrespective of any Covid impact.

Mosaic 1.1.3 does contain:

Playback: Fixed an issue which would cause some DSD files to be skipped

It is not yet the desired fix, but they are working on it.

The skipping of DSD / dsf tracks is fixed, as least as far as my experience is concerned. The loss of the first half second of a track hasnā€™t been.

Cheers,

Mike.

My issue has nothing to do with files being skipped, itā€™s the DAC not playing the first .84 second of a track if it has to switch from PCM to DSD mode, which happens a lot as whenever the data stream stops the DAC reverts to expecting PCM.

While product updates are indeed infrequent, most would consider 14.5 months within the realm of ā€œexpectedā€ for a bug fix for an issue that I would expect may affect many.

I wouldnā€™t be as antsy were I not concerned that dCS might discontinue Rossini before they issue a fix, and they donā€™t issue fixes for obsolete products, so I would be stuck with the issue forever.

Itā€™s not impossible to work around, just a bit painful (the easiest way is to allow the Rossini to pull songs from a server rather than send songs to Rossini.)

1 Like

Just noting itā€™s now 15.5 months. :grinning:

1 Like

Iā€™m still waiting for dCS to respond directly to this issueā€¦kinda gave up in that Quixotic quest for a while. Every time I miss the first fractional second of a DSD track my ire gets stoked. I have a Vivaldi DAC/Clock and upsampler, and it is kind embarrassing to tell my audiophile friends I canā€™t get this fixed, have heard nothing directly from dCS regarding it, and Iā€™ve just accepted it.

Lots of investigation and brainpower expended on this in this thread and one I started from fellow users, but nary a word from dCS.

I did get a solution third hand thru some friends in the industry - load the DSD file on a stick and listen to it that way. Yeah, right.

So, the $64k question, will the $9k upgrade to the DAC fix this? This has to be known issue at dCS and if they didnā€™t fix it in the upgrade thatā€™s not comforting.

Another impassioned plea for dCS to come up on the radar relative to this. You out there James Cook?

Slainte,

Mitch

1 Like

The problem is dCS promised to fix it in ā€œthe next Rossini release.ā€

There have been no updates since then, and the fact that the Apex is called ā€œRossini Apex 2.0ā€ tells me that no software update is coming even with the hardware upgrade.

I honestly am hoping the hardware upgrade gives them the chance to add additional hardware they might need to fix this, assuming they canā€™t do it in software, but dCSā€™ silence on the subject after almost 20 months seems to point towards the eventual outcome.

Iā€™m sitting here looking at northwards of $70k in DCS gear that canā€™t handle a switch from normal sampling to DSD (and vice versa) without a hiccup. I just upgraded my speakers to Alexia 2s, and while the dealer (they handle dCS as well) was here he crawled behind the rack and verified all the connections are correct, and scratched his head when he heard the issueā€¦

You up on the radar James Cook, or anyone else from dCS?

While not absolving dCS from having to solve this issue, I do highly recommend that you look at adding Roon into your system; this issue does not exist when using Roon.

4 Likes

Anpuc-that solution has been offered before and if dCS would be willing to pay the monthly fee as their solution Iā€™d be all for it. Iā€™m perfectly happy with Mosaic as my means to access Quboz, and for all the money Iā€™ve spent, Mosaic and my dCS gear by rights should not need third party software to work properly. Yeah, I could afford the monthly fee, but the principle dictates otherwiseā€¦

As an aside, Iā€™ve been perusing other posts and activity here for the day, and dCS responded directly to a couple other posts so they are monitoring this board, and apparently have not seen this long thread, or the other one I started or are ignoring me. Iā€™ve asked them directly for some input on this issue several times over the last year, and have yet to receive any communication from dCS. That is disappointing.

So, here is another plea for dCS to tell me if this issue is a systemic one and if it can be solved without shelling out another $14.99/month for a subscription to Roon, which I need for no other reason.

Cheers,

Mitch

1 Like

And, here is my thread, started a year ago, asking dCS for some help.

Using a subpar sound quality third party software is not a solution.

dCS Vivaldi sounds better with minimsrver + Mosaic (the combo recommended by dCS)

Also, Roon canā€™t navigate by folder, which is mandatory if you have 20000+ classical music albums, minimserver + Mosaic is the only reasonable way.

Lumin, Esoteric, and Linn apps play gapless perfectly.

If you guys like Roon, perfect, but it cannot be mandatory to use dCS products.

1 Like

It is not mandatory, but it just works perfectly. Subpar sound quality is just your assessment.

2 Likes

I apologize, English is not my language. Now I see it can be read as rude statement, not my intention.
I should have said ā€œnot as good asā€ and ā€œin my system, to my earsā€.

No need to apologize, Manel.

dCS made its products Roon Ready. Roon is bit perfect.

If you hear difference in sound quality between Roon and Mosaic, it might mean you are having a network bottleneck causing it. Or a NAS problem. Anyway, also Roon is playing gapless.

1 Like