Playing DSD .dsf files from the beginning on the Rossini skips the first 0.84 second of audio

Is there anyone else who plays .dsf files on a Rossini who could confirm?

Can anyone with a Vivaldi confirm that following the precise procedure I noted above does not result in the same behavior on your hardware?

I play them a lot - but through Roon. I have not observed the 0.84 delay that you see.

Same here on Vivaldi. And I specify a buffer in Roon to make sure I donā€™t experience this problem. To my recollection, Iā€™ve never experienced it with the Upsampler. The reason I have Roon set that way is for the MSB. It did, on occasion exhibit this behavior, but only sporadically, never consistently.

Hi all,

We have confirmed this issue and identified the source; the fix will be implemented as part of the next Rossini software release.

2 Likes

I am the new owner of a Vivaldi DAC and Upsampler (with a Rossini clock), and have this issue. The first part of MQA songs is clipped. This happens after an audible click from the DAC as is changes sampling rate I guess. Will there be an upcoming fix to this similar to the promised fix for the Rossini problems noted above?

I am just entering the world of streaming audio, and I love the DAC and Upsampler. For now, Iā€™m not too convinced I hear much difference between MQA and CD quality, but Iā€™m burning in some new speakers so time will tell.

Your problem actually seems fundamentally different to the DSD via DoP timing issue that arose with Rossini. The implementation of MQA is very different to DoP not the least being that two different components are involved in a Vivaldi setup. For MQA the upsampler carries out the MQA decoding with the DAC performing the rendering task.

I am, however, a little surprised as I think you are the first that I am aware of to raise this specific issue so I am guessing that something may be amiss.

My initial thought is to wonder if are you actually rendering MQA? if not that may explain your difficulty in telling it apart from CD quality. So is your DAC software v. 2.11 or above and your upsampler software v.2.10 ? If not then we may have a simple answer if it is then I suspect that input from dCS ( Andrew or James) may be needed.

As a mischievous answer I would suggest switching your subscription from Tidal to Qobuz. An immediate solution giving full hi-res flacs with gapless replay ( not available with an MQA/dCS combination) and without any MQA malarkey :grinning:

1 Like

Dare I ask if there is any time frame for when that next Rossini software release might be coming?

Thanks in advance!

Before I left Tidal, I can confirm that I did not experience this problem. Are you using Roon?

2 Likes

David, since the Rossini Clock only has a single set of clock outputs, how are you properly clocking both the Vivaldi Upsampler and the DAC? Check your Sync modes on them are properly configured, along with the DACā€™s Buffer, should be On.

2 Likes

Damn, thatā€™s embarrassing. Thanks @Anupc for possibly catching the obvious.

:wink:

David might have the Rosinni Clockā€™s outputs 1 & 2 (the 44.1k & 48k clocks) connected to the DAC, while the remaining 3rd output (fixed @ 44.1k) to the Upsampler. That should allow him to properly synchronise when streaming from Tidal MQA tracks with a rebook base rate. But Iā€™m not sure what happens when the Upsampler unfolds the MQA track to 96k; does the lack of an incoming 48k clock on the Upsampler impact the AES bit stream? :thinking:

Or more likely, the other alternative would be to dual clock the Upsampler with the Rosinni clock, and have the DAC set to ā€œAudioā€ clock, which is bound to have problems when the music starts as it takes the DAC sometime to synchronise to the incoming bitstream. [Edit] I just remembered that the Upsampler does have a word clock output that could be connected to the DAC, with rates depending on the AES connection to between the Upsampler and DAC.

All in all, [still] a less than ideal configuration thats likely to produce challenges.

1 Like

Anupc, that is correct. No worries though lots of rich content available otherwiseā€¦

Slainte,

Mitch

This is an old thread, but most closely describes an issue Iā€™m having. I have a library of SACD discs that were ripped to DSD and copied to my NAS. The first .5 seconds (my guess) are truncated when played thru my Vivaldi stack (Clock, Upsampler and DAC).

If one of these songs is selected, I can hear some noise from the stack as it changes frequencies, and it appears to be searching to match the frequency of the song.

If I select an entire DSD album from my NAS, this only happens on the first song, the rest playback perfectly. I guess once the frequencies are lined up it works fine.

If I build a playlist of DSD files, it always happens on the first song, and then sometimes on the following playlist selections.

This also happens on some, but not all, high-res songs from Quboz.

I found a DAC Buffer setting in Mosaic, and thought this would be the solution, but it is not.

Iā€™ve poured over the user manuals thinking I might not have it all setup correctly but Iā€™m stumped.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mitch

Mitch, with respect to the previous discussions on this thread, are your Upsampler and DAC now both Clocked properly via a Vivaldi Master clock as described in the Vivaldi manuals?

Anpuc,

Yes, 44.1hz and 48 hz clock outputs are connected to the corresponding inputs on the DAC and Upsampler.

Iā€™ll crawl behind the rack today just to confirm, but Iā€™m certain the connections are correct.

Thanks,

Mitch

Mitch:

Sorry to hear youā€™re having this experience with a Vivaldi stack. And I understand why you tacked this new experience on to the older thread. But I canā€™t help but wonder if we shouldnā€™t start a new thread with a reference to the older one at the beginning, instead. This is similar, but different, due to the clock differences, and I am concerned that anyone with the same problem as you might miss this.

Anyway, I know you mentioned Mosaic, but I wanted to ask if you had tried to replicate the issue with Roon. Roon has a setting named ā€œResync Delayā€ designed to pre-roll a selectable amount of silence that at 100ms for me, seems to prevent this problem (Iā€™ve never experienced it with the Vivaldi, but I did with the MSB, and so reflexively set the Vivaldi up the same way). It is customizable for each DAC individually.

Really, this sounds almost identical to my Rossini software issue, but mine is due to DoP detection when making a PCM/DSD switch:

https://dcs.community/t/playing-dsd-dsf-files-from-the-beginning-on-the-rossini-skips-the-first-0-84-second-of-audio/1590/21?u=billk

but since he has a Vivaldi stack it canā€™t be. (Especially as Vivaldi owners didnā€™t report having the issue I did with the Rossini.)

Yes, I would just confirm that this should not be a problem with Vivaldi and .dsf files. There should be a small gap after requesting the album/track via Mosaic whilst the DAC reconfigures from PCM but the music should not commence playing until this is complete.

I am also concerned that Mitch is having problems with playing hi-rez files from Qobuz. These are, of course, all PCM files and changing resolutions should be seamless and virtually instant.

Anup has suggested mis-connections of the wordclock cables. This is easy to do especially if one is fiddling around behind the box unsighted. However if this is the cause it may also provide an inconsistent display of clocking on the front panel e.g W1 showing for 48KHz based samples and not W2 etc or perhaps even non-audio. That is a good clue that the wiring is wrong.

1 Like

Greg,

Iā€™ll start a new thread as you recommend. Will help narrow the focusā€¦Iā€™m diving behind the rack in a moment. If I donā€™t resurface in an hour send the dogs out looking for me.

Cheers,

Mitch

1 Like

Sadly itā€™s 14.5 months later and thereā€™s still no sign of a fix nor any update from dCS; I suspect one isnā€™t possible.