dCS Apex series is here

Understood. I am not bothered by it at all, just curious about what’s changed and what hasn’t.

1 Like

Cheers for doing that, as i just couldn’t lol

Has anyone heard if there will be a time limit for the update to be scheduled?

dCS will launch Apex on 4th March, with all details. So we have to be a bit patient.

1 Like

Bill,

Since neither you nor I can get any response from dCS on this issue, I suspect not. I was told that the next software/hardware upgrade “might” fix our problem, then radio silence.

If I were dealing with a glitch in a Pioneer component, and Pioneer ignored a problem I was having, I’d just go buy a Technics. We are in an entirely different stratosphere however; you would think shelling out huge amounts of money for “the best digital system you can get” would bring with it some attention and solutions to problems users were encountering.

Not the case with dCS apparently.

Cheers,

Mitch

dCS didn’t hint, they stated:

Posted Aug 3, '20 4:54 AM

James Cook dCS: Head of Customer Service

We have confirmed this issue and identified the source; the fix will be implemented as part of the next Rossini software release.

https://dcs.community/t/playing-dsd-dsf-files-from-the-beginning-on-the-rossini-skips-the-first-0-84-second-of-audio/1590/25?u=billk

According to whathifi.com the upgrade program will no commence until May.

that’s different

the fourth line …1517 vs 2133 or something

That’s the serial number! Learn something!

Golly. That escalated quickly.

I am very patient until I am not… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

French distributor confirmed to me the upgrade price. Concerning start of the upgrades, not clear at this time.

Great to finally see some technical details!

Looks like no changes to the DAC functionality itself but some meaningul improvements to the analog stages. I’ll look forward to checking it out once a demo is available locally.

1 Like

I wonder if the test is - if your system is resolving enough to be able to hear a difference between the filters then you’re a candidate for the upgrade. If you can’t hear a difference between filters then it’s a limited return on investment. I think I have a pretty nice system but can’t tell a meaningful difference between filters.

3 Likes

I can’t tell any difference between filters either, nor could both my daughters, 15 and 24 year old’s.
But going to listen to them both side by side very soon

The problem with “listening for the difference” is that this is not the whole story in my experience.

Oftentimes I have made a change (eg added a power conditioner) and indeed heard a difference that seemed good, but over time I decided it was not.

We tend to pinpoint the differences - it is brighter, smoother, wider soundstage, deeper bass… But in my experience all of these perceptions, whether there or not, are sort of “first impressions” and the only way to truly tell is to listen for some time.

My method is to leave a change on for a few weeks, listen to it, and after some period where I feel I’ve become deeply acquainted with the sound, I switch back to the previous configuration. More often than not, I can tell relatively quickly if it is better or worse. Also most often than not I cannot pinpoint the reasons.

So my take is you need to listen to this for some time, as long as possible.

2 Likes

Yeah, I enjoyed reading that piece. Informative.

That is a way but thats also flawed as the brain adjusts and fills in bits.
For me i like to hear the difference if i can when a change is made, as if not then is there a difference? If you changed say your dac for a different one, i take it you would want to hear a difference out the box.
I know the filters are very much the same and probably different for some music more than others, but as i said, for me switching between them makes no difference to me, hoping the apex is a big jump up in performance or i won’t be bothering

But how you are going to do that after a Apex upgrade?

Really interesting. The question now , at least for me as Bartok owner is : When will be a major upgrade like this for my DAC, or Bartok cannot receive something so good?