Word Clock cables, what length?

I am planning to get some Apogee Wide Eye cables to connect my Rossini clock with the Rossini. Is there a particular minimum length that you recommend?

Love those cables. Use them in my own system as well.

I have a combo of 1m and 1.5m but the length really isn’t a critical factor due to the way the clock circuit works. I prefer a little longer just for convenience of routing.

3 Likes

Very happy with the Apogees, thanks @Andrew

Are you guys referring to the apogee assembled by geistnote?

Yes, those are the ones

Just for clarity, and any newcomers [like me], do you mean these?

That’s the one I bought. Up and running in my system.

Geistnote’s Apogee Wyde Eye 75Ω… https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N4UMC4N?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Thanks for the Amazon link. I ordered straight from his site so I had a color choice, and—drum roll—saved two bucks! :rofl: In the scheme of Rossini+Clock, which I just ordered and am now impatiently waiting for, those are some lonely two bucks.

Colour choice with Wyde Eye? It’s always been sheathed in purple as far as I knew so I checked Geistnote’s website and there is what looks like a blue sheathed version. However this is RCA to BNC and not BNC to BNC which you need to connect the wordclock in/out for the Rossini and matching clock.

https://geistnote.com/cable-assemblies/digital/75-word-clock-bnc/

I hope that I am wrong and that you haven’t inadvertently ordered the wrong cable.

Yes, color choice. Though not blue. It’s pink. I already have some purple cables behind my speaker system, and I wanted these to be easily visible. BNC-BNC.

Just ordered some today as my Easter treat.
Looking forward to getting them and hope they make a difference, but at the price its not all lost if they dont

Hi all. some reviews by someone of us using ordered Apoges clock cables? Thanks

Well, I’ve run the Geistnote Apogee Wyde Eye clock cables for ten of the 14 days since my Vivaldi Clock arrived. For two days each, I also tried the Van Damme cables from DesignACable and there Blue Jeans Cable Belden 1694a BNC cables. Since April 17, my system has also included the Cybershaft OP21A reference clock, so all in, there are 5 clock cables, each 1.5m in length. I know some of our brethren over at WBF will scoff at these cables, but all perform delightfully in my system.

With the Geistnote cables, both my wife and I could easily detect the incremental improvements in our system with the addition of the Vivaldi Clock and the Cybershaft Clock. That suggested to me the Geistnote Apogee were doing what they were supposed to be doing. When I swapped in the Van Damme and BJC cables, we didn’t hear the incremental improvements in the same way, because we had already heard them, and I saw no need to take the clocks out of the system to determine whether any other cables sounded different. But to our ears, our system sounded just as focused and lifelike, holographic. This is the characteristic I have come to associate with improved clocking, and it’s discernible even at lower levels. I would happily keep any of these three cables in the system. All are well-built and sufficiently flexible for close quarters. The Geistnote Apogee cables are back in the system, because they are slightly more flexible than the Van Damme or BJC, and they are what I started with, simple as that.

As I have mentioned elsewhere, my dealer wants me to demo Shunyata Alpha and Sigma cables. He’s a great guy, and I appreciate his service in these interesting times, so I plan to do so. I will be surprised if those cables somehow make a better square wave signal. But hearing is believing.

This would appear to be the answer to my question last night: you’re using a combination of cables of different length yourself? In a complete Vivaldi stack, if memory serves, so a total of five? So using these simultaneously doesn’t affect accuracy?

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

David, it’s more important to use good quality cables built to proper spec, meaning, properly 75-Ohms impedance BNC cables. Then the 0.5m difference in length will be too insignificant, in terms of propagation delay compared to a shorter cable, to have any detrimental effect.

“Propagation delay” is the term I was looking for, thanks! As to the specs, I’m not concerned as the cables I’m using are by the designer who, back in the era, built and promoted the first true 75Ω S/PDIF cable for the audiophile market (at the time, I remember people used any RCA cable they happened to have at hand, the more tech-minded among us experimented with antenna cable, but then, neither equipment nor sockets adhered to specs).

1 Like

Is minimum length (damping/absorbtion of reflections) only relevant for S/PDIF and clocking cables (square waves), or is there a similar effect with ethernet cables? I was taught ethernet cables make no difference sonically, and although I do find differences more subtle than any other category of cable I’ve tried, it’s nonetheless an interesting topic, always curious to learn more.

Yup, you’re right, having a “minimum length” is not relevant to Ethernet cables. Keeping it as-short-as-necessary is generally a good idea. Don’t believe anyone that claims otherwise.

Probably warrants a separate thread from this if you want to go into the technical details of why. :wink:

1 Like

There was if I recall right a minimum LAN cable length when half duplex 10/100Mbit where mostly used but with full duplex I cant recall seing that.

1 Like

Sorry for the confusion however I am about to order a pair of Geistnote Apogee cables.
Length IS NOT important - correct?
A pair of 1m should do the trick? Andrew mentioned different lengths however that was due to his cable routing issues?

Best
Gregg

PS I am curious why dCS does not simply include Apogee cables in the box of a $7495 clock- considering the performance is acknowledged to be better than the included ones. At full retail they are only $40 each - how much cheaper could the supplied ones be? At the negligible price differential it seems strange IMHO. Just a thought and some customer feedback.

1 Like