Importance of Clock Cables

Hello all
I am new to the discussion and waiting for my Rossini Clock to arrive
So have been reading all posts concerning it
Has anyone tried the Wave Storm Reference cables on their dCS
Equipment?
If so would love to hear about your experience
(Please no negative rants about cost etc)
Best Martin

The most important thing about clock cables is to have at least two of them.

Hi and welcome Martin.

I have looked at the Wave Storm Reference cables site and I could not recommend these for your purposes.

Your question is in the context of your new dCS Rossini clock. This requires 2 x 75 ohm BNC terminated cables and a power cable . Although Wave Storm say that the data cable is 75 ohm there is no proper cable specification and although the BNC terminations are indeed nominally 75 ohm nothing is said about the cable itself.

Secondly, and most importantly , these cables are specifically made for use with Chord products namely " Chord Blu MkII and MScaler when used with Chord DACs." The implication is that they have in some way been voiced to go with these products. Use with another company’s devices is therefore a moot point. I would also remark from long personal experience that cables which are made to sound nice delivering music data do not necessarily make good wordclock cables ( and vice versa).

In your circumstances I would look at the various threads in the archives here for other recommendations. To save you time it would appear that the most popular choice ( before we really get into expensive territory - the Wave Storm are by comparison moderately priced) is Geistnote Wyde Eye though I personally marginally prefer Van Damme Plasma. Why not try either of these before looking elsewhere as I promise you will not be disappointed.

1 Like

Maybe this will help you… I’ve tried several different cables and the differences are not very big but you can hear them well. The cheaper cables discussed here are fine but don’t match my final choice:
Shunyata Alpaha v2 Clock-75

Please note, the cable must be at least 1m long, otherwise the impedance will no longer be correct. I have them in use with the Vivaldi DAC and Clock.

1 Like

Wow I am learning a lot from this great
Group of people!
The clock is ticking (:face_with_monocle:) as I await my
Rossini
Here is I hope not too crazy a question
Would there be a difference in cables
Using Bartok w/Rossini clock as spouse
Both Rossini?
Thanks guys
Best Martin

Yes, indeed cable length . It’s not really about impedance but because where two dissimilar materials meet ( e.g. at the junction between cable and connector) the signal will be partially reflected. The cable needs to be of sufficient length to attenuate the back reflection and a “rule of thumb” minimum length is 1.5m. However there has been a fair amount of discussion here about the significance of this and you ( and the OP) may care to read this thread with its links. NB; The Apogee cables are the same as the Geistnotes, just a change of manufacturer:

I am not sure that I understand this question. Could you phrase it another way?

1 Like

Whoops sorry typo
Writing too fast!
What I was asking is
would there be any
Difference in cable suggestion if I was
Using them on Bartok with Rossini clock
Or Rossini with Rossini clock
Most likely not a difference but thought
To ask just in case!
Best

No difference. Just swap 'em in.

Pete you are my new best friend…Ha!
But seriously you respond to everyone
With class and intelligence
I am now ready and armed to address
My problem with a bit of enlightenment
Can’t wait for that Rossini!!

My Best Martin

1 Like

Nick Bacon from Wave cables has sent me a pair of his Storm cables we tested them along with Transparent Premium and Shunyata Alpha v2 all being 75 ohm
Spectural DMA 360 amps and cords speakers were Wilson Alexia at first listen the Wave Storm
brought out some bass I hadn’t heard before but after some switching from the other cables I realized
that bass wasn’t the only thing it brought out everything was face forward where as both of the others
created a sound stage where all the instruments were positioned around the stage allowing you to pinpoint and follow a individual instrument with tireless effort!
I am giving them further review with other equipment
if all I listened to was rock I would love them anyone in the Bay area would like to try them let me know
they need to prove themselves!!

You mean people in Dublin, Morecambe, Naples?

OK, just having fun , I know where you mean but bear in mind that his is an international community :smiley:.

Yes I knew that would come up :blush:
By the way I ordered the Van Damme
And wyde eye cables as you recommend
And compare as well
Was listening last night with friends (Wave Storm) using Golden Ear Reference speakers
And Hegel H 590
They were sounding nice although we were
A room over so?!
The best goes on

Looking forward to learning what you finally decide upon.

Soon I will be able to test another pair of
Transparent 2d tier level
And also waiting for the Van D and wyde eye
To arrive
Anticipating some fun ahead
Best Martin

The cables to connect the Rossini and the clock are very important. I tried a few (SOtM, Shunyata) I chose the Nordost Valhalla 2 BNC 75ohm. They are expensive but excellent.

Yes I looked at those
What made you decide on them as opposed to the Shunyata?
Thanks Martin

What convinced me is that the Nordost Valhalla 2 BNC 75ohm cable brought crisp and precise sounds and at the same time more natural (according to my taste). I also observed better controlled bass and nice tones in the high frequencies. However the Shunyata Omega was also very good. It’s a question of taste.

Can you please check your spam and junk folders for emails from ‘designacable.com’.
We are uk company and only operate between, 8-5 Monday to Friday, uk times.

Many thanks.

Just looked at my emails again junk included do not have anything!
can you please try sending it again
thanks
Best Martin

How I felt about the AudioQuest WEL Signatures I demoed then purchased.