Vivaldi upsampler not showing up in roon audio devices

Hi Phil,

my main system is on a windows 11 Computer, we could check it out this afternoon.
br Wolfhart

Hi Anup,
good hint, however I don’t want to set up the whole system from scratch. As I mentioned, I have also a core running on my windows computer, same problem. W

Hi Phil,

no problem with team viewer, we could do this this afternoon, I would be at home and we could check details. Just let me know what time would be good for you. If needed , I could also connect a MAC

Best regards Wolfhart

Hi Wolfhart,

Windows is great for me, can you drop me an email to [email protected] and we’ll sort the contact and login details…?

Cheers

Phil

1 Like

OK just to update - after taking a look via TeamViewer the Upsampler isn’t even listed in the Roon Settings → Audio Devices menu so we’ll need to do some deeper digging here…

1 Like

I wonder if Windows 11 Firewall is blocking Roon from properly communicating with the Upsampler. It wouldn’t at all surprise me if one of Microsoft’s regular Windows Updates stuffed something up :laughing:

1 Like

Hi Anup,

Thing is it’s ‘seeing’ a Linn streamer on the same network on that same PC …

We’ll do some more digging - I’ve been talking with James today about alternative routes forward. :slight_smile:

P

1 Like

Interesting! Even more curious now to understand what’s going on :thinking:

Absolutely … same here … these are the kinds of problems I rather enjoy! :smiley:

P

2 Likes

to get around windows firewalls etc I loaded a new roon core on my MAC, looked for audio devices…still no upsampler via network, only the Linn shoes up. So it is exactly the same result, whether running run roon core on winows, nuc or MAC. I guess this could show that really the upsampler is the problem?

1 Like

Hi Wolfhart,

Can you please download and send over (to [email protected]) a copy of the system logs from your Upsampler? The method for extracting the logs from your Upsampler is detailed here…

If you can get those to me then I can get the software team to look at them and see whether there is any indication of any Roon issues with the Upsampler.

BR

Phil

2 Likes

Hi Phil,
I sent you the logfile to [email protected]

Thanks Wolfhart … I’ve passed it to the the software guys so lets see if it has anything helpful in it.

Here is the summary I just posted in the roon community:
The thread is getting long, so I want to summarize where we are;

1. I had ROON on a NUC (full spec) connected via Netgear GS 308 switches to my LAN and to the Vivaldi Upsampler. For a long time all was working perfectly.
  2. 2 weeks ago the upsampler did not show up any more seettings-audio in the roon app on my iPad. Only the airplay version came up under Other Network devices. I had not changed anything in my Network, no updates, no other switches, no different cables…
  3. As recommended I rebooted everything, the NUC, the upsampler, all switches, the app… upsampler still not showing as a full network device
  4. I upgraded the upsampler network interface to the latest version, 510, no scussess
  5. I installed another core to my windows 11 desktop on the same network …upsampler not showing up
    6 I installed another core to my MAC connected via mesh to the Ethernet network, no success
  6. I connected my Linn Klimax DS to the network via the same switch where the upsampler is connectected to… Linn is there as network device and airplay device, upsampler only via airplay
  7. I connected the upsampler and NUC directly to the router… no success
  8. I connected the upsampler to different switches … no success
    10 I sent the upsampler logfile to dcs… nothing unusual to see
    Now I am really running out of ideas and time. Would be great if someone has a hint why it is not working and what else to try. Probably one have to look into the details of how roon is recognizing roon ready devices and how dcs has adapted this. But I am not a software expert.

I ahve been reading this from the sidelines not being a Roon user. However it broadly resembles an issue that I had earlier this year which was quite different in the sense that it involved Mosaic but the solution was obscure and took a long time to isolate.

The cause for Mosaic not recognising Vivaldi DAC was due to an incorrect serial number being entered on the DAC hence it could not be recognised by Upsampler. I wonder if there is some kind of parallel reason here i.e.:

The other matter I notice is that you say nothing had changed but suddenly Upsampler no longer appeared in the Roon app. Well something must have changed. There is no magic at work. You do say:

iPad. That does not seem to have been checked . However we are in a period of iOS updates and there is a question today about iOS 17 and potential issues. Maybe there was an auto update that you may not have noticed ( not necessarily to 17 but a smaller change?).

Just thoughts really to try and move thinking away from the obvious culprits of network or faulty Upsampler.

Still, et’s see what the software team at dCS offer.

Pete, interesting your point with the series number. Who entered the wrong serial number of the DAC?

I should have not said “nothing has changed”, I meant : “I had not changed anything”
In addition I tested the setting-audio devices in roon running the core on the Windows desktop and the MAC directly from those devices, no success, so it is probably not the iOS on the ipad.

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the input but your issue wasn’t really in any way similar to Wolfhart’s though - his Upsampler was working on Roon and now isn’t seen by Roon at all, your Mosaic stopped showing the DAC controls.

Wolfhart has sent us further information overnight over on the support ticket that we have with him so we are working on it …

BR

Phil

2 Likes

Oh? Are your NUC and the Upsampler not connected to the same Netgear GS308?? What additional device(s) is involved between the NUC and Upsampler?

Having Roon and the Upsampler not connected to the same Switch is often a recipe for problems because the layer 2 multicast domains can be broken (if your network devices are not configured properly).

Also, now it’s starting to make sense why the Linn works!

Linn doesn’t use Roon RAAT protocol (layer 2 discovery), Linn devices are “Roon Tested” Chrome (Google) Cast based (which use layer 3 for discovery, same as Airplay). See - http://roon.app/en/partners/48/linn

Roon Tested device

Roon Tested devices work over USB, HDMI, AirPlay, Google Cast, and other protocols. They have been profiled by the Roon team to ensure simple setup and effortless daily use.

Did you actually test with both your Roon Server and the Upsampler connected the same Ethernet Switch? Try it, I think you’ll find your Upsampler is working perfectly fine. :crossed_fingers:t3:

2 Likes

Hi Guys,

This is getting a bit messy because there are parallel discussions going on regarding this issue both here on the forums and at the same time on direct email with us but the information that Wolfhart sent us over last night suggests that the Upsamplers backup battery has failed which is likely to be the cause of the issue.

BR

P

4 Likes

Wow, that’s interesting! (I would have put money down that it was a networking issue :rofl:)

Looking forward to a successful resolution.