Vivaldi upsampler not showing up in roon audio devices

I am using ROCK Roon connected via network to a dCS Vivaldi upsampler, wordclock and DAC.

So far it worked fine, Roon in audio settings shows the Vivaldi via AirPlay and the Vivaldi upsampler via network.

Now the upsampler as a network player does not show up anymore in the Roon app, only as Vivaldi Airplay.

I have not changed anything and the updsampler is on the network and plays well with the dCS Mosaic app. All roon on latest software, system being shutdown several times, no succes.

Is the upsampler no longer supported by Roon/dcs?

Hi Wolfhart,

Thereā€™s no problem with the Vivaldi Upsampler being supported by Roon - do you have the Upsampler updated to the latest firmware first? (Firmware updates are handled by Mosaic - Roon canā€™t update the firmware on an Upsampler.)

Does the Upsampler not even appear in the Roon Settings ā†’ Audio Devices list?

Has anything changed on your network? Maybe a nice new network switch slipped in?

Cheers

Phil

1 Like

Hi Phil, thank you for your comments.
The upsampler has been updated to the latest network version via mosaic to the latest version after ! that problem hadoccurred However the issue has not been resolved.

Nothing has been changed on the network and I can access the upsampler directly through its network address and mosaic.

Under audio settings in Roon it does show up with its correct address, but only the airplay version and it plays via this with the reduced quality. Before the issues the second upsampler button came up after a some seconds after the airplay version had showed up. This was the network version and it could be chosen as audio player. This does not show up anymore.

I did all possible restarts of Roon and the upsampler but no positive result.

Best regards. Wolfhart

Hi Wolfhart,

OK - next questionā€¦

Do you have a switch between your Vivaldi Upsampler and your router?

If so are you able to temporarily connect your Upsampler directly back to your router to test and confirm whether it then appears as a Roon device?

Nothing has changed on either the Vivaldi or in Roon to prevent either working together so I suspect that the issue is related to Roon discovery being dropped / filtered somewhere on your network ā€¦ especially as you used to be able to see the Upsampler as a Roon device previously but you say it took time to appear before - it should appear straight away.

P

1 Like

Hi Phil,

I had already connected the upsampler to a different switch with no success. But I did not connect it directly to the router because itā€™s a bit far away on another floor. I will try it when I am back from my holiday in 10 days and let you know. Thank you so far.

Hi Wolfhart,

It definitely ā€œsmellsā€ like a network issue ā€¦ and thereā€™s not been any changes to either Roon or the VPP Firmware that would disable Roon support for the Vivaldi Upsampler.

P

1 Like

There was a Roon update about 48 hours ago, but I havenā€™t seen any reports of similar issues like this.

The symptoms described, Roon Server discovering Airplay end-points but not native RAAT ones, typically happens when thereā€™s NAT in-between the Roon Server and the end-points (Vivaldi Upsampler in this case) - Airplay relies on mDNS (layer 3 multicast based) for service discovery which can operate just fine over NAT, whereas RAAT relies on SSDP (layer 2 multicast) which canā€™t traverse NAT.

So, Iā€™d agree with Phil, most likely something changed with the network element that the Roon Server is connected to.

1 Like

I updated Roon last night and it works perfectly fine with the Upsamplerā€¦But one day someone can tell me whether it makes a difference selecting the Dac or the Upsampler in Roonā€¦I alleays select the Upsampler but when selecting the dac it works the sameā€¦apparently.

1 Like

Hi Anup and Phil, thank you for your hints. As I said I will try out different connections in my LAN without switches when I am back in a week and will let you know.

2 Likes

Back from holiday and I tried many different connections over my network to get the upsampler working, but nothing has been successful.

I connected the upsampler directly to the router (not via switches), then via different switches, I used the roon app via ipad and computer, tried it with a different core on my computer (not with the rock what I usually do), the result is still the same, upsampler only shows up via airplay, plays with the dcs mosaic app but not with roon via network.

I have also a Linn DS system, it always show up via airplay and network.

Any ideas what else to try?

Strange :thinking: the fact that Mosaic works and Airplay shows up on Roon suggests the network port on the Upsampler is working just fine.

If I were to venture a guess, Iā€™d say something is up with your Roon Server setup. Maybe try and fresh Roon Server installation?

1 Like

Hi Wolfhart,

Are you a Mac or a PC guy?

Would you be able to let me TeamViewer in to your computer to check out your Roon settings because there is something very odd going on here - there are no settings on any of our kit that would change the operation of the kit with Roon and it seems like it might be just a simple case of the Upsampler hasnā€™t been Enabled in the Roon Audio Devices settings.

BR

Phil

1 Like

Hi Phil,

my main system is on a windows 11 Computer, we could check it out this afternoon.
br Wolfhart

Hi Anup,
good hint, however I donā€™t want to set up the whole system from scratch. As I mentioned, I have also a core running on my windows computer, same problem. W

Hi Phil,

no problem with team viewer, we could do this this afternoon, I would be at home and we could check details. Just let me know what time would be good for you. If needed , I could also connect a MAC

Best regards Wolfhart

Hi Wolfhart,

Windows is great for me, can you drop me an email to [email protected] and weā€™ll sort the contact and login detailsā€¦?

Cheers

Phil

1 Like

OK just to update - after taking a look via TeamViewer the Upsampler isnā€™t even listed in the Roon Settings ā†’ Audio Devices menu so weā€™ll need to do some deeper digging hereā€¦

1 Like

I wonder if Windows 11 Firewall is blocking Roon from properly communicating with the Upsampler. It wouldnā€™t at all surprise me if one of Microsoftā€™s regular Windows Updates stuffed something up :laughing:

1 Like

Hi Anup,

Thing is itā€™s ā€˜seeingā€™ a Linn streamer on the same network on that same PC ā€¦

Weā€™ll do some more digging - Iā€™ve been talking with James today about alternative routes forward. :slight_smile:

P

1 Like

Interesting! Even more curious now to understand whatā€™s going on :thinking: