Vivaldi - Mosaic Control App

I have just had a new Vivaldi DAC and Upsampler installed to join my Vivaldi Clock This setup replaced my Rossini Player. Well worth the upgrade although, not unexpectedly, I am significantly poorer.

When I open Mosaic all I see is the Upsampler. No DAC and no Clock.
How do make Mosaic ‘see’ the DAC and Clock ?? Any help gratefully received.
My dealer didn’t seem to know. Thanks all.

I think this might help:

and

1 Like

As you have introduced the subject I would advise that I too have the problem of no DAC showing in Mosaic with my Vivaldi Apex set up ( although the pre-Apex version was fine on this). This is irrespective of any initialisation period as far as I can tell.To be clear it is the control options that are missing although firmware versions are reported.There has been work on this in association with with @Phil at support so this is a known fault. I am aware of others exhibiting a similar issue. Unfortunately a solution is yet to be found but work continues.

As @Ermos points out no Vivaldi Clock connection exists with the communications bus (RS232) so it does not appear in Mosaic nor does it really need to.

2 Likes

Pete have you tried the RS232 cable as Erno suggested ?
Having spent several hours setting up and positioning my system up on my rack I will have to wait several days until I have the energy to disassemble the rack to gain access to rear of the units to connect the RS232 cable. I’m old !
I would much prefer being able to control the DAC settings from my iPad as I controlled the Rossini player.

Yes, of course ( and more than one to hopefully eliminate it isn’t a cable problem). If you haven’t connected the RS232 then it surely won’t work properly. I now gather you haven’t done this yet so that is most likely your explanation. The DAC needs to talk to the network board in the Upsampler and that is how it is accomplished. In a Rossni all is in one box so that connection is not visible.

Many sympathies about getting access to the rear of your rack to do it. I may well be older than you :grinning:.

Please let me know how you get on.

1 Like

So, to summarize what needs to be done in order to control your Vivaldi Upsampler and DAC through Mosaic (the Clock cannot be controlled through Mosaic):

• Fit the special 3-way RS232 cable supplied with the Upsampler Plus. Note that the 3 connectors are labelled Transport, Upsampler and DAC, and each must be fitted to the correct unit. The Transport end can be omitted if not used.
  • Ensure the Dual AES connection between the Upsampler and DAC is in place. This will be needed for communication between DAC and Upsampler.
  • The RS232 Mode (Settings → RS232 Mode) on the DAC, Upsampler and Transport must be set to Binary.
  • Next, power cycle the Vivaldi Upsampler. The software version for the DAC will report properly within Mosaic from there, but…

→ But then occurs the issue that @PAR just reported (in case you have the Apex version of Vivaldi DAC), and it still might not work, although other users do report it is fine. [Edited]

1 Like

Erno and Pete, many thanks for your help. I do have a new Vivaldi Apex so I imagine the problem will still arise even after fitting the RS232 cable.
So given my advanced age (80 in two months) I shall forgo the work required to fit the cable until dCS announce a solution which I hope will be soon.
My newly acquired Vivaldi set up has astonished me with the quality of the music but I am itching to try the settings options on my iPad from the comfort of my armchair.

3 Likes

The problem may apply only to me in which case it is worth fitting now. Initially I didn’t realise that you hadn’t fitted the RS232. Any chance that you can get someone to lend a hand? I now need to find out if you ( or anyone else) has the issue.

NB: yes I am a few years younger (73) :grinning:.

1 Like

Yes OK I shall fit the cable aided by my equally doddery wife and report back.

2 Likes

Pete, my Vivaldi is also Apex’ed, I definitely do not have any issue with control via the RS232 link, everything works as normal.

1 Like

Thanks Anup. Hopefully it’s just me.

1 Like

Like Anup, my DAC and Upsampler respond to Mosaic just as they did before the upgrade.

1 Like

Then this is a bit misleading, isn’t it?

Yes I agree. However I do know of two other nachines showing a similar sympton. However as we haven’t yet established the cause in respect of any of them, on further reflection I decided to pass them over for the time being as I realised that they may or may not be linked even though at first sight they appear to be.

Apologies if I have wasted responders time. The solution was as Erno outlined above. Fitting the RS232 cable solved the problem. I can now control both the DAC and the Upsampler from my iPad.
In my defence my dealer advised that the RS232 was not needed.

2 Likes

No need to apologise. You most certainly have not wasted anyone’s time and I am pleased that it now seems to be working as you wished.

I suppose how precise one wants to be with language. It isn’t really needed as all of the controls can be accessed from the front panel and in any case once set need only be visited infrequently, if at all. But remote control via Mosaic is certainly preferable.

2 Likes

Congrats, and happy listening!

1 Like

Thankyou both. This is a very helpful and engaging forum.

1 Like