UPnP disconnects

Excellent, sounds like you’ve solved the issue! :+1:t3: :smiley:

The real issue is whether or not a Switch filters out specific IP Multicast packets necessary for the dCS component and the UPnP server to discover and exchange service information with each other.

Unmanaged switches are typically dumb and just pass all traffic through without interfering. Managed switches work fine too as long as they’re configurable to not filter out those multicast packets.

Your EX7000 is a Managed switch, but has no configuration for handling those multicast packets. So the presumption was that it doesn’t interfere (which apparently seems wrong).

Incidentally, there exist Unmanaged switches that don’t behave properly either, so it’s not just misconfigured Managed switches that could problematic :wink:

1 Like

I bought an Ansuz switch connected to Melco w/ upnp yesterday. Switching it on now I have same problem, message „upnp server not found“. Cisco 2960 worked…any idea folks?
Many many thanks!

I assume that your Melco is being used as NAS and that the UPnP server installed is MinimServer or Minim Server 2. If so Melco connects directly to your dCS network device so no switch is involved for serving files via UPnP (Mosaic commands still go via the switch of course). A switch ( between router or Modem and Melco ) would mainly relate to internet sources or external music servers such as a computer or phone which route via the switch.

Perhaps you would kindly clarify how your Ansuz switch/Melco/dCS device are physically configured?

Once known we may also consider other matters such as the Melco configuration and if the IP address of it is "known " by Mosaic. Of you run MinimServer on Melco do you also have MinimWatch installed on a computer as that may help?

Thank you Par,

Melco, wlan repeater, dCS and roon server are connected through Ansuz.
Strange: roon sees melco and I‘m able to play music. dCS Mosaic doesn‘t see upnp server.

Add on: melco has usb connection to dCS as well and I see this as upnp server with kazoo/linn app!

Rebooted dCS- all upnp serers are there again….

Melco and dCS should ideally not be connected through Ansuz switch. Please see Melco user manual. As I am not a Roon user I imagine that there might be a difference to this ideal configuration.

I think what may have happened is that you have been using a dynamic IP address for Melco and when you added the Ansuz switch your router allocated an new IP address to the Melco. You should be able to look at the Melco and its contents via your computer. The Melco will display its current IP address on its home screen. Type two back slashes, dot and the number e.g. 192.168.xxx.xx into the search bar on your OS file explorer. If you have a currently viable IP address you should see Melco and its contents. If it is not recognised then you need to reset the IP address ( don’t ask me :thinking:). Despite dCS’ advice about dynamic addresses, when using Melco it is more reliable using a static address. How to set this is also shown in the user manual.

However all now seems well.

Many thanks!
I try to fix the IP@ issue now by skipping dhcp!

Great, just a couple of amendments. When looking at Melco on your computer forget typing a dot after the back slashes when when entering the Melco’s IP address in the search bar ( that’s me trying to do things from memory :slightly_frowning_face:). You also need to visit “settings” on the Melco and enable " SMB file sharing".

Thanks Pete,
I can see the melco and have access to the files there. Roon server sees melco and the content there as well (over SMB)
Next step is to change router settings so, that melco, dcs and roon server will “always assign same IP@”.

doesn’t work…changed settings to “always assign same IP@” but dCS doesn’t detect upnp server. After switching off dCS they are there again. Since I only changed the switch (Cisco out, Ansuz in) it seems that dCS has issue with this so if anyone here has an Ansuz feedback would be highly appreciated! :thinking:

While I think it’s generally a good idea to have fixed IP addresses for UPnP Servers and the dCS kit, it’s not necessary.

This is because the way Mosaic (currently) initiates any dialog to the UPnP Server is by sending out a multicast service discovery request (SSDP), every time. It doesn’t rely on “remembering” the IP address of your UPnP Server, so having a fixed IP address isn’t necessary. So, all the discussion about DHCP is quite irrelevant. :slight_smile:

This also means that your home network has to have multicast operating properly; any glitches with multicast will result in the SSDP request or responses going missing, and you’ll end up with the symptoms you’re seeing.

Ansuz doesn’t make their manuals available online, I’d recommend you check the manual and figure out how to disable IGMP Proxy or any other multicast filtering that might be occurring with the switch.

3 Likes

The usual excellent advice from Anup.

Also check whether your Melco is set to use a fixed address or automatically from DHCP:

Settings/Network/LAN Port/ then select DHCP or Fixed IP and enter using the menu/enter button.

1 Like

Oops, just realised that that Ansuz Ethernet Switch is in fact a modded D-Link DGS-108 - an unmanaged switch, but has IGMP Snooping that apparently can’t be turned off.

I’d return that switch and put the Cisco back in :neutral_face:

Ansuz Switch;

D-Link DGS-108 (modded pic);

1 Like

Thanks Anup! Will check my fritzbox settings!!!

The problem with the Ansuz switch: IT’S FREAKING AWESOME SQ WISE :slight_smile: :slight_smile: I see what I can do now but I will not go back to Cisco!

As you might imagine, I’m sorry to say I’m highly skeptical of that :wink:

I tested cisco, melco s100, some cheaper switches and ansuz. the differences are there, you can hear it in seconds - not weeks :slight_smile:

I’ll try to get in contact with Ansuz…

In contact now with dCS distributor here…seems there is a compatibiity problem…

If you find out exactly what the compatibility issue is would you kindly post here as if we know then we can avoid similar issues with other switches.