Trying a vivaldi apex against my rossini

But the dCS clock is to synchronise two or 3 dCS boxes.
In the case you mention you would have only one, then no need for a dCS clock…
If I understood well some explanations in other threads, the dCS clock does not substitute the clock of the Dac or driver or upsampler, but the dCS clock set the pace for all the internal dCS clocks involved in the stack.

No idea whether or not the dCS clock can synchronise dCS gear with non dCS gear, if yes, than your Rossini clock is useful, if not then the use of a dCS clock is questionable.

Some talented members of this forum are experts in dCS clock, I guess they could clarify this issue.

If that’s the case why do people use a clock on just the vivaldi dac, i can tell you now it certainly inpoves it, makes it sound even more real

I received my Vivaldi DAC last week - my first dCS component - and it is fantastic! I’m still waiting for my Vivaldi clock which will hopefully arrive soon. The clock made a huge difference to the DAC when I demoed it so absolutely worth it in my view.

No one use a clock with the Vivaldi dac only, as the Vivaldi dac alone cannot play music. You either need the Upsampler or the cd drive or the NB or as you plan to do a non dCS streamer.

In case of two or more dCS boxes I am pretty sure it improves the sound. In case of a non dCS box I am not sure, but if the dCS clock is not connected to the Melco but only to the dCS Vivaldi Dac and it does improve the sound then I would be interested in an explanation how ?
But it is possible I misunderstood what the external clock actually does, I will read again the thread dedicated to external clocking :laughing:

Whilst we are on the subject of the network bridge and clocks etc.
How would you connect up the network bridge to the vivaldi dac and rossini clock.
What problems will i encounter if any?
Will i see all the vivaldi dac settings etc on the mosaic app?
Lastly will it sound better using my melco running ethernet into the bridge rather than melco streamer using USB.

Lots of questions i would like to know more on if possible guys

I compared USB vs Ethernet on a Bartok to try and gauge the difference between the interfaces. Using an Innuos Statement and Shunyata Omega USB cable I slightly preferred USB. I also tried a few other USB cables and they all sounded surprisingly different.

In know at least some people seem to prefer Ethernet from what I’ve read on here but I guess what you use as USB source is important.

1 Like

You won’t have any problem connecting the NB to the dual aes input of the Vivaldi.
You can connect the Rossini clock to the NB and the Dac, no issue.

You would see the music settings in Mosaic (filters etc… but also the status…temperature etc…)

Would it be better than the Melco setup ? No idea, but I am sure that with dual aes the high res files, more than 96khz, can be handled by the dac without downsampling.

1 Like

Having thought about it more since last night, i am going to pass on getting a network bridge and save my money. As the melco N10 supplying the music either by qobuz or whats stored on it sounded mighty good over the last week or so and as the dCS dealer said, he wasn’t sure it would really add anything, maybe it would but as said i am not going to even try it as not going to spend the best part of £3k to find out.

Even with a single box dcs one can use dcs clock.

As I understand, an external clock in a separate enclosure with dedicated power supply etc is anyway supposed to increase quality of sound compared to internal clock as dCS folks said in some other thread in this forum.

Regards,
Sourav

1 Like

It is supposed to synchronise two or more dCS clocks…If there is only one, what would do the dCS clock ?
dCS people stated clearly that it is still the clock of a dCS component which is active, never the dCS external clock replaces an internal clock…That is what they say…So, if nothing is to synchronise, nothing can be improved with such a design…

If I understood correctly, the internal clock takes pulse from the external clock if external clock is used. External clock is supposed to be more stable/perfect because of better power supply, temperature control, better block material, separate enclosure.

Think why even people use external clock with Rossini which has streamer and Dac in same box ?

Regards,
Sourav

1 Like

Have you listened to a DAC with and without a clock? The difference is not subtle.

Also if a clock is only there to synchronise multiple components why does Vivaldi clock have a master clock input?

@ChrisK pls check this thread dCS Ring DAC - A Technical Explanation.

James from dCS exactly confirmed this point when I asked the same qs there.

Regards,
Sourav

1 Like

I have listened to my Vivaldi with and without the clock and hear virtually no difference.

The difference is slight, but what tends to happen with the clock is, you miss it after a few days if you remove it or forget to power it up from sleeping. Thats what i find.

This is how all my audio evaluations happen… I think playing one track and wanting to hear a difference is often pointless with subtle but important changes.

You’re lucky - saves a bit (a lot!) of money :slightly_smiling_face:

Sitting pretty on top and sounding absolutely stunning.
I still cannot get over how much better it is.

2 Likes

It cannot be clearer than that : ( an extract of the part 4 of the post mentioned in a comment right after yours), therefore from dCS

As an aside, it is worth noting that the use of a Master Clock in a dCS system does not replace the internal clock inside of the DAC. It simply acts as a stable reference for the DAC to lock itself to, and allows for DAC and source to be properly synchronised without issues such as intersymbol interference causing jitter within the audio data. The DAC’s internal clock still dictates when samples are converted, it simply adjusts its frequency over time to match that of the Master Clock. This means the DAC still benefits from having a high-quality clock close to the DAC circuitry. The clock directly controlling the audio is still part of a tightly controlled environment, while also being in sync with the rest of the system.

No one questioned the fact that with an external clock it is better…but only when you need to synchronise between two dCS components…How would you decrease jitter if there is nothing you can synchronise…which is the case when the streamer or the drive are not dCS clock connectable…A dac synchronised only with itself cannot help decreasing the jitter…