Rossini Transport - noticable sound of disc spinning while playing SACDs

I disagree with that DEEPLY! :slight_smile:

As a physicist (I have a PhD in the field) I know everything we hear is in the physical work, and more over should be measurable. The issue is our ears are pretty sensitive and subtle instruments, so what details to measure are unclear at this point. But surely they are measurable.

Consider jitter for example. People say it’s the same 1’s and 0’s - not so simple.

I used to own an EMM Labs XDS1v2. Uses a Teac VRDS drive. It is a tank and never ever produced any noticeable noises, even up close. Neither does my old trusty Oppo BDP-93 to be clear.

David Stevens told me one time I met him that, when the Teac VRDS was discontinued, they spent a small fortune buying all the units they could find for the Vivaldi transports. The Rossini transport uses a Denon drive IIRC, which is not nearly as robust.

Long story short, your transport’s drive needs to be replaced.

2 Likes

I don’t disagree with that except I am a nutcase and have a preference for what version of an album I play, and the ones available on streaming services are usually the latest which means they often incur in loudness problems - ie the old versions sound better. And of course there’s plenty not available on streaming at all.

2 Likes

that’s the reason why I still buy some CDs and ripp to Melco.I have an old Pioneer CD player used as a transporter but this can’t touch the SQ of streaming (or even Qobuz). Guess the Rossini Transporter is a different animal (and I would probably buy one if I had a larger CD/SACD collection). I have now roughly 4000 albums on my NAS (bought over the year)…
And 100% done with vinyl :wink: (had an almost full spec LP12)

1 Like

Even my dinky (modified) Cambridge CXC playing to Rossini can better streaming at times…

@miguelito u r making me nervous now.

My dealer has not got back to me on this for a week now. But Phil @Phil said that dCS is ready to take a look into my transport in their facility in USA.

Let me right away call them.

Regards,
Sourav

I do not have a degree in physics and consider myself a pretty mediocre engineer. Therefore I am eager to learn how jitter from an incoming data stream can stay with the bits, once they reach the DAC’s buffer.

I would be grateful if you could explain this.

R

Hi Miguel,

Without anyone taking a look at the unit itself I don’t think any definitive conclusions can be drawn at this time - we have said that we will take a look at the transport to check the unit through and it will be resolved for Sourav…

BR

Phil

4 Likes

Hi Phil @Phil ,

Thanks a lot. Appreciate all your support from dCS’s side. It is just that now my dealer is little slacking. Not getting much traction with them. I shall again follow up with them today.

However, I do also agree with what @miguelito and others are saying. A transport should not have any such sound irrespective of whether I am playing CD or SACD.

I have used PS Audio’s Direct Stream Transport for 6 years. There was no such sound. Before buying Rossini Transport I also trialed PS Audio’s new Perfectwave SACD Transport for a month. That transport also uses the same drive as used by Rossini Transport. That transport neither had any such sound while playing SACD.

Regards,
Sourav

1 Like

I understand the reason for this noise is at this point UNVERIFIED. However, I would bet anyone that it is an issue with the drive, possibly a faulty bearing. dCS itself has a strong history of taking care of their customers so I would not be worried but patient.

2 Likes

Surav,

I don’t understand why you are still contacting your dealer:

I was involved with your noise from the Rossini Transport issue a long time ago. It is still not resolved. Phil has said that they will look at it:

May I suggest that you are now at the point where you leave your dealer out of it. IMO they have proved a failure. If I was you I would deal directly ( not in the forum) with @Phil and get his advice on getting it seen.

[email protected]

2 Likes

Ok, I will give you a very quick explanation:

The SPDIF protocol requires that the DAC sync to the source - if you don’t you run the risk of your buffer emptying or overflowing. This means even though there is a buffer, it does not help you in terms of clock stability as you cannot use the DACs clock. Some implementations do run a buffer and “reclock” but like I said you run the risk of over/under flow. In fact you can explicitly force a dCS DAC to operate in any of the conceivable modes: sync with the audio source (A), use the internal DAC clock (M), or use an external clock if you have it (W). Of all these, only A is guaranteed to be have no glitches.

In the USB case, there is handshaking - ie the DAC can tell the source to speed up or slow down. As a side note I will add that USB is NOT error-correcting, the USB Audio protocol should not be confused with normal data transfer, that is a different protocol that does include error correction.

There’s more to digital audio 1’s and 0’s than the naive concept that the numbers are the same hence everything is the same.

3 Likes

Incidentally, my understanding is the PS Audio transports use Oppo drives, including drive electronics (ie the circuitry that manages the mechanics and reads the data off of the disc).

1 Like

Hi Pete,

My understanding is all such shipment (back and forth) is supposed to happen through dealer for dCS. I may be wrong. (This was my experience even with Naim previously - so I am thinking that is the case for dCS too).

Also, I am still giving them a chance to support me as I understand that they have the main person helping me so far (from pre-sales day in 2020) left the organization. They have not said yet No to me.

Also they should have some vested interest as I am yet to buy the Clock (or may be sometime in future upgrading to Vivaldi - who knows).

Regards,
Sourav

@miguelito P S Audio’s previous transport ‘Directstream Transport’ used to use Oppo. And I believe as Oppo got closed as a business and PS Audio ran out of the stock, they decided to create this new version - PS Audio SACD Transport. This new one uses the same drive as of Rossini’s.

Regars,
Sourav

1 Like

Hi Pete,

Ideally we would like to handle the return via a dealer.

Bypassing a dealer is really not something that we like to do unless we have the dealers OK to do it and, if nothing else, dealers are a really handy “buffer” to handle the arrival back of by courier and avoid that “I was in all day waiting for the courier to deliver - well - apart from when I went out to…” scenario.

I’ve already contacted Sourav’s dealer to find out what’s going on so hopefully things will move along…

BR

Phil

3 Likes

Understood. I was hoping my suggestion would break the logjam.

Hi Sourav,

It seems that Graham (who I think you have normally dealt with) is no longer with your dealer so they’ve said to bring it in and they’ll get it sorted for you - if you give them a shout and ask for Jacob then that’s who I’ve been talking to there and he’ll know about it.

BR

Phil

1 Like

Hi Phil @Phil

Thanks a lot for the note.

Just now I talked to Jacob. They would wait for dCS to send the RA# and then they would contact me for dropping/picking up the unit.

Thanks again for all your help.

Regards,
Sourav

I think they should have the returns authorisation number today … the US dCS guys have been in on the conversation and are aware.

BR

Phil

2 Likes