Rossini Transport - noticable sound of disc spinning while playing SACDs

Hi,

Of late, I am hearing some noticeable (even from 3-4 ft apart from the transport) sound of disk spinning from Rossini Transport while playing SACDs.

I bought this unit around 8 months back. I never heard the spinning sound to this level so far which cannot be ignored.

Any idea what is going on ? Does this suggest any impending failure ?

Regards,
Sourav

Might be a disc that has some unbalance, SACD also runs at a higher RPM if I remember correctly

@imprezap2 this is happening with all SACDs. I have tried with 10-12.

Regards,
Sourav

Probably best to discuss with your dealer, the unit is under warranty

I was about to make a similar point as @imprezap2 . If the issue happens with all discs it may be a transport fault, if only with a single or a few SACDs then that disc(s) is likely to be faulty. Does it also occur with CDs? BTW, the SACD and CD specification gives a tolerance for flatness and other parameters, if these are not adhered to then issues may occur.

You should have had enough experience to have figured this out but the Rossini Transport disc tray indentation is very shallow and it is easy to misalign the disc when inserting it which may cause a problem so jiggle the disc in the tray to ensure that it is properly seated before closing the drawer.

BTW, this seems to be a double posting which may cause confusion.

1 Like

Yes my bad. I shall delete the other thread.

I tried with positioning the discs properly. No luck.

CDs also spin with some sound but one can ignore that compared to the sound that I get from SACD.

If I only play the SACD discs (with no amplification) the sound is so prominent that one in the room (12x12x11) would be curious to investigate the source of the sound.

Regards,
Sourav

Well I am not able to delete the other thread. Probably admin needs to step in. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Regards,
Sourav

OK I thought that you might be interested for comparison purposes with the sound from my RTT playing an SACD in a silent room ( i.e. no amplification). Standing 20 cm from the front panel I can hear ā€¦nothing ( only a brief rustle as the draw closes).

I am understanding from your posts that you hear something with all discs but with SACDs it is louder and at a disturbing level which I infer may not be masked by music in quiet passages. It is also a recent occurrence.

What you are reporting does not seem normal. Further incorrect seating of the disc does not seem to be a cause ( however I do recommend paying attention to this anyway). I therefore suggest that you have a word with your dealer. At least you could start by taking some of the discs along and have him play them on another machine to help narrow down the cause before needing to arrange a return.

As for the duplicate post you may have noticed that I asked for dCS to combine the two in my last posting on the other thread. I hope they can do something

1 Like

Thanks Pete @PAR

On the incorrect seating of the disc - as soon as I change the layer from sacd to cd for the same disc using the front control, the noise goes down substantially.

Yes, I am talking with my dealer on this.Unfortunately my sales contact has left the company. So I kind of again starting from scratch with the new person. He has assured that he will followup with dCS and try to get some answer/next step as soon as he hears back form them.

Regards,
Sourav

Sourav, Pete will remember that I asked him about the noise from his transport just after I bought mine: my first unit was probably dropped in transit and was obviously loud (with SACDs especially). That went back to dCS. The second unit had a disc tray mech that needed adjustment and, although much quieter, there was still a low hum/thrum sound on the first few tracks of SACDs. It wasnā€™t really loud enough to be obtrusive at the listening position - only just audible and not obviously a fault. dCS told me they listened to my unit side by side with theirs and there wasnā€™t a difference. I dimly remember hearing a similar sound at a dealer dem of the transport.

According to Google SACDs rotate at up to 1500 rpm at the beginning of the disc which is about 3x faster than CDs. The rpm declines as the player gets further into the disc because CDs and SACDs are read at constant linear velocity, not angular velocity (in contrast to vinyl). Hence noise is usually worst or perhaps only occurs near the beginnings of discs. Is that what you are finding?

I keep meaning to visit dCS when they are building some transports and ask more questions. I find, reasonably or not, that Iā€™m not entirely satisfied with the transport because of this behaviour, given the cost.

3 Likes

I do indeed. I am sorry that you feel it has not been fully resolved and have sympathy with your closing remark.

1 Like

SACDs spin about 3x faster than CDs (similar to DVDs).

Given what youā€™ve said I would expect that, when playing the SACD layer but the last track, the sound would be reduced to about what you get from CDs?

Long story short: Pretty sure your drive mechanism bearings are at fault. Get it repaired.

Hi Sourav,

I have been in contact with your dealer regarding your Rossini Transport yesterday and we also had contact with them last month regarding this too ā€¦ weā€™ve had your audio recordings through of your Rossini playing discs and the service team didnā€™t feel that they were of specific concern in themselves.

We have asked whether the playback sound is consistent or whether it varies between different discs (but I havenā€™t seen any replies on that from either last months contact or yesterdays) and have also reminded your dealer that we can take a look at your transport if you are concerned.

BR

Phil

1 Like

Hi Phil,

Very happy to see that you are dealing with this issue.

Yes there was a gap from my dealerā€™s side as the person who was my contact left the dealership in between. Also I was kind of out of town and could not send the audio recordings earlier. No complaint at all on responsiveness to solve the issue.

Coming to the playback sound - it is consistent, nothing degraded in my experience, similar across the discs.

On you point of ā€˜the service team didnā€™t feel that they were of specific concernā€™ on the audio recordings I sent I have few qs -

1. Have they found there is a audible difference in whirring sound between CD vs SACD playing ?
  2. If the answer to the Qs 1 is yes, donā€™t they think with that difference in a quiet listening room playing a song with soft phases in between that sound would be annoying ?

Regards,
Sourav

1 Like

Hi Sourav,

Itā€™s very difficult to do any form of valid diagnosis from an audio recording as thereā€™s no ā€œpoint of referenceā€ for level but the playback sound itself didnā€™t raise any concernsā€¦

The best suggestion that I can make is the same one I confirmed to your dealer yesterday which is if you are concerned that your Rossini Transport is overly noisy then we are happy for it to go to our US service Centre to be taken a look at and checked through.

BR

Phil

2 Likes

Thanks @Phil.

Let me check out with the dealer how they want to arrange for that.

Regards,
Sourav

I have both a cheap CD transport (Cambridge CXC) and Blu-Ray player (Oppo BDP-93). CD spinning is not something I can hear at all. Neither can I hear SACDā€™s spinning on the Oppo, but if I put my ear close to the unit I can hear that it is spinning faster - but no whirling sound at all.

I am pretty sure there must be an issue with your Rossiniā€™s mechanism for you to notice the spinning anywhere not up close in your room. I also imagine that if you switch from the SACD layer to the CD layer the whirling would go down, which again is an indicator of a bad mechanism.

4 Likes

Reason No. 1,452 to digitize and ditch the transport (!)

; )

JK, good luck. I hope you get it resolved!

1 Like

Come on man !!! I invested 26K USD on this transport just 9 months back.

To be honest, in my ear, I have found the sound quality of this transport with Rossini Apex Dac is way above running Qubuz or direct streaming from NAS using Mossaic/Roon. Last 9 months I am mostly listening to this combo, 2-3 hrs a day on average.

Regards,
Sourav

1 Like

Years ago when my Puccini transport was running loud, I consulted someone more experienced than I and they suggested having a custom, removable, thick piece of plastic cut to fit into the rack to isolate the noise. Just a thoughtā€¦

No such problems with the Rossini DAC (!) ; )

Ps this is one reason why I am not crazy about Audio Research: They build a ā€œgreatā€ (?) tube amp, which by definition will run hot, then enclose it (?), then need a fan to keep it cool :exploding_head:

1 Like