Rossini Transport - noticable sound of disc spinning while playing SACDs

Sourav, out of curiosity…how many SACDs and CDs do you have?
tx!

Well, ripping SACDs is not as easy as ripping CDs. Aside from that, the transport allows for a workflow and physical media interaction that is lacking in rips/streaming.

More importantly, the transport is a product that should work.

I will also say that it has been my experience that occasionally CDs and SACDs played on a transport sound slightly better that their rips/streamed versions.

2 Likes

That’s a great suggestion @keiserrg . Thanks for this idea.

I shall surely try that (only that the transport is too heavy - I shall have to call one of my friends).

Regards,
Sourav

I am curious as well. I estimate I have about 150 SACDs, maybe 2,000 CDs.

1 Like

Close to 30 SACDs. BTW - I still collect new ones from PS Audio and MoFIs. So the number is growing.

Dont have count of CDs. Between here in USA and my old collections in India probably 1000+. And I still add more. Many albums sometimes I only get in CD.

Most importantly, I still like the entire experience with handling any media for music.

Regards,
Sourav

2 Likes

Thanks Sourav! 1000+ is “nice” :+1:

Totally agree with you @miguelito .

The transport should work as it is supposed to work. And in my mind having noise while playing the media kind of defeats the whole purpose of using high quality enclosures to isolate the vibrations etc.

And, the workflow u mentioned is something very enjoyable to me too.

Also, so far what I have found is the sound quality (especially of CD) from the Rossini transport+dac most of the times is better than the quality I get from streaming.

Regards,
Sourav

1 Like

I checked some prices for SACD player here…imho the Rossini Transport is quite expensive with a 25k tag. F.ex. a new Luxman D10x (a killer) with transport and DAC is about 16k…

this makes me nervous :wink:

But you cannot play the SACD layer to a dCS DAC unless it is a dCS transport. Actually, that is not true… You can use one of those HDMI → DSD DoP boxes (which I have) and use a BluRay player to play the SACD layer.

In my case I did not get back to the CD / SACD playback workflow. I am too lazy to deal with digital physical media at this point, it is too close in quality to the CD and SACD rips. Instead I scan the album art as pdf and access it through Roon so I get that part covered.

My physical media fix is through vinyl, which is of course an entire new level of inconvenience and expense… :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

I agree it is expensive. May be u pay for the dCS logo (and construction).

On the quality of sound (to make you further more nervous may be - ha ha ha) - I also had PS Audio Dac + Direct Stream Transport for 6+ years. Even with that combo I always found the dac+transport was much better than streaming. That is one of the reasons when I decided to upgrade, having a transport was always a must thing for me.

Regards,
Sourav

2 Likes

@miguelito what kind of Vinyl rig u have ? Just curious.

Regards,
Sourav

With dCS DACs, all media is first passed to the DAC’s buffer. As such, I am a skeptic with respect to claims that transports improving sound. Just my opinion, and I recognize this has been debated before.

SME 20/3, SME V arm, Dynavector XV-1s → CrystalCable phono interconnect → van den Hul “The Grail” phono pre → Kondo interconnect → Audio Note Kondo Ongaku → Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

I just got an Audio Note phono pre but it is MM and need a stepup transformer for it so have not had a chance to check that yet. I want to try a bit more romantic a sound from my setup.

2 Likes

Seems to indicate you need to have a listen! :slight_smile:

No need @miguelito. At $23,500 USD, I will direct my expectation bias to hear no difference, thereby providing proof of my prior opinion!

; )

3 Likes

Well it is $26000 USD when I bought it last year.

I kind of agree with the fact that if u analyze it technically there should not be any difference.

But in streaming route there are many components involved which may be weaker link in the entire path. At one point of time I spent too much of effort and time to figure out and fix whether my router is a problem, whether the NAS has issue, the internet is choppy, the use of right ethernet cable, blah blah blah. At the end of it I got less time to listen to music than worrying about hose issues. Also I was always worried - may be something is not optimal.

With a good transport I can get similar (or even better in my expectation bias may be) quality with another box and a good cable. No worries. Just put the disk and enjoy the music. Agreed that for that u have to shell out a big sum of money compared to n/w option.

Regards,
Sourav

quick re-thinking…I have 5 SACDs and roughly 300 CDs…stick with streaming :wink:

I understand that! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I can vouch for my Accuphase DP560 SACD player in that it is absolutely quiet, regardless on whether it is playing CDs or SACDs. Also, never heard my Oppo BD105 making appreciable noise when I use it to rip SACDs…

1 Like