Rossini Player updated but no sound only when playing DSD64 from UPnP and Roon

A friend of my who is never on this forum has the same problem with his Rossini DAC / Roon.
Just so you know…

Ideally we need anyone who has issues to report them to [email protected] then they go into our ticketing system which means that they can be properly managed and can’t fall through any cracks - I went through the forum early Monday morning to compile a document of all the reported issues so I could hand it over to the guys when they got in and it’s really hard to pull proper lists together from a forum.

Can you try to get your friend to report it to [email protected]?

BR

Phil

Thank you, @Phil. I am a big fan of the achievements and accomplishments of everyone at dCS, which is why I saved up for a Rossini Player and Clock.

Its good you and your team were able to recreate the issue. Now a solution can be found.

Hi @Phil. Thank you for your response. And I also know one person that have the same issue on Rossini. I`ll send him the E-Mail you have given me above and let hem describe the issue.

I did send him to his dealer. They must do this.
He is there tomorrow to listen to the new Apex.
Thanks.

Please do - it really does help us to get things sorted.

Did firmware update today. The process went well but no sound playing DSD 64 with either Mosaic or ROON. No problem with DSD 128.

Versions:
App 1.2.1 (130)
Front Panel 2.03
Control Board 2.03
Network Board 1.2.0 (507)

I have got the same problem. Since I updated the latest firmware, i can not play 64 DSD from Aurender thru the USB of Rossini. Other files are fine. Please help.

same problem…neither roon nor upnp plays a track…

Hello Phil,
I am the owner of dCS Rossini Player and has the same problem with playing PCM 176 bit / 24bit and DSD files. If it is a problem of only part of the devices, it may be faster to give us the procedure to restore the previous version of the software. From my point of view, my dCS Rossini was broken by the manufacturer and turned into scrap.

Hi Pawel,

Thank you for your comment and I understand your frustration at not being able to play DSD64 audio after the last update however all other functionality of your Rossini should still be working - if you are saying that it has been rendered scrap then are you having other issues? Is your Rossini failing in some other way?

You mention a “PCM 176bit/24bit” issue - I’m not aware of this being a problem that has been reported previously - could you perhaps provide some details of this problem?

The software team have been working on a resolution to the DSD64 playback issue (which seems to be affecting a very small proportion of Rossini worldwide) and as soon as I have information from them regarding the availability of a fix then I will let everyone know that has reported the issue to [email protected] and I will make sure that a posting is put on the forum too.

Unfortunately it is not practical / possible to simply roll back a firmware file.

Best Regards

Phil

To date, because of this thread, I haven’t yet updated my Rossini. With the DSD64 playback issue affecting some units, is dCS recommending that we wait until the problem is resolved to install the update? I ask, because I have 100’s of DSD64 files that I often listen to and would rather not be without that ability.

Additionally, I’ve seen it mentioned that booting (de-powering/re-starting) the Rossini when installing the update may be required – perhaps: 1) before the process; 2) after; or 3) both before and after. When selecting the update, do such instructions present themselves? If no, where can explicit instructions be found for this update? For instance, regarding the Mosaic update, should it be updated: 1) before the Rossini’s firmware is updated; 2) after; 3) neither; or 4) it doesn’t matter?

Lastly, if booting (de-powering/re-starting) the unit is required, short of pressing the rear rocker switch or unplugging the unit, can the unit be powered down & restarted (like the re-start option on a Win.PC) via the Remote, Mosaic etc.? I ask, because I’m unable (without someones assistance) to reach the rear rocker switch or mains plug.

Hi,

At this point we (dCS) are not recommending that customers hold off updating their units - there are functionality updates (TIDAL Connect) and performance updates (truncation of the start of DSD file playback) that are part of that update plus of course the updated Mosaic app will require that updated firmware to be installed.

At this time there are still a very small number of reports that we have had worldwide of this issue - 26 at the moment - which we understand is really annoying for those customers that are experiencing it and we are working on releasing a further update that will resolve that issue for those customers as the R&D teams only priority.

Once I am told that I can release further information on exactly when we will have that fix ready, tested and available for installation then I will do so.

We always recommend that the unit is power cycled (turned off, left for thirty seconds, turned on and allowed to fully power up) before any update however this is not strictly necessary for the update to occur, it is just good practise as it ensues that the unit itself is in a known passive state, has a valid (recently issued) IP address and isn’t playing or anything.

No, to fully power down you would need to either turn off the power switch on the rear or turn off the power switch at the wall … if this isn’t possible then the update can be performed without powering down the unit.

Best Regards

Phil

Thanks Phil, it’s handy and helpful to have dCS personal available to address such questions and to have a forum where dCS owners can share their audio equipment, experiences and knowledge. -Mike

UPDATE: The issue has been resolved with firmware update version 2.04. DSD64 now plays on my Rossini. :grinning:

I received an email from @Phil today and followed his instructions on updating the firmware on my Rossini, namely switching it off from the back panel and leaving it off for half a minute before attempting the update, and restarting the Mosaic app on my iPad so that it found the update. Everything worked smoothly and there were no hiccups. My Rossini asked for a restart afterwards, which I did via the switch at the back. Another half minute later, I switched it on. and checked firmware version. It is now 2.04 from 2.03.

After the update, I am happy to say that it now plays DSD64 from both Roon and Mosaic. DSD128 too. Not DSD256 (which plays at half-speed via Mosaic) and DSD512 (which has no sound). but that’s OK. Hopefully, the Rossini’s microprocessor has enough horsepower left so that the next firmware update enables this.

2 Likes

There is also a posting from me up here on the forum as I’d promised…

BR

Phil

1 Like

Phil: James:James Kudos to you and whomever else worked on the DSD64 problem. This update fixed it perfectly. thanks also for your professionalism in dealing with us here on the forum.
Mike Garver

3 Likes

Thanks Mike … and thank you to all those other people that helped us to compile all the information that we needed to isolate and identify the issue.

BR

Phil

It won’t. The hardware is limited to DSD128.

Thanks Phil ,James and the software team.I am pleased to the issue has been resolved.