Mosaic unresponsive at times

Some help would be most welcome. On odd occasions when using the Mosaic app it fails to respond. If I am playing a track and wish to pause and touch the blue circle at the bottom of the screen the blue circle becomes blurred and will not respond. I have to wait for the track to finish, delete the app and then reload.

1 Like

This hapoens to me. However it only affects the android version rumnning on a Samsung Galaxy 21 phone. My iOS version on an old iPad is unaffected.

Are you using android too?

I spoke too soon. This problem just occurred with my iOS version of 1.4.2. I daresay that @Phil will pass this to the Mosaic development team so that it can be fixed in the next revision.

1 Like

I “semi” frequently have problems with Mosaic running on iOS. The most recent (and the first time) is the inability to turn off the display on my Rossini. I can turn off the logo however not the display. When I hit the toggle I see a display off icon appear on the Rossini screen…however the display does not power off. As of yesterday if I toggle the logo off a few toggles will now result in the display turning off. It remains infrequent however.

Despite the fact I dramatically simplified my network setup I continue to have semi frequent problems with Mosaic finding the Rossini. This has been a problem since ownership (2020). While I realize most Mosaic issues are down to networking problems I feel the current incarnation of my network is as simple as can be. I removed all of my Cisco 2960 switches, eliminated fiber optic connections, and now am running a true bare bones network system.

USA based fiber ONT into the garage which has an ethernet cable going straight to an Eero Pro 6E mesh Wi-Fi router. That in turn goes to a Cisco Business CBS110-8T-D Unmanaged Switch as per @all2ofme and @Anupc. The Rossini gets plugged into the Cisco along with 3 other Eeros (all access points are ethernet backbone). All cabling unshielded Blue Jeans CAT6.

About as simple of a network setup as possible … yet infrequent issues remain. I have often wondered if the network board on my Rossini is jinxed or defective.

Best
Gregg

1 Like

I have this problem on iphone and ipad as well. I thought it was due to distance of dcs from router

Hi @johnandvirginia, @barryr1 and @PAR … are you able to grab me a screenshot from your app of the “blurred” play / pause button? (I presume that’s what you mean by the blue button.)

It’s not something that we’ve had reported before or that we’ve seen in our testing so we’ll need to find out more about what’s going on there.

@barryr1

No - it won’t be down to distance from your router unless you are going out of range of your WiFi network. As long as you have a WiFi connection to your network and the network is solid then “distance” shouldn’t be an issue.

@PAR

I will certainly pass it to the Mosaic devs but they will almost certainly want additional information as I’m not aware that het have seen this issue themselves and will need to know what’s causing it (and be able to recreate it) to be able to fix it.

@glevethan

Happy to take a look into your network issues with you - I’ve actually had some test kit send out to the US guys to be used in these kinds of situations so that might be a useful thing to get out to you. Drop me an email to [email protected] and I’ll pick this up with you.

Cheers all

Phil

@Phil, I’m wondering if folks are alluding to the same “Lost Connection” issue that was discussed pretty extensively in a previous thread;

@glevethan @barryr1 - I’d definitely recommend reading the above thread in full to get an understanding of what might be going on in your respective networks.

1 Like

Thanks for the response Phil. I will try tomorrow though a major part is not susceptible to a screenshot as a main feature is that the play/pause button simply ceases to function. So I can’t take a picture of something that isn’t happening :wink:. What may happen is that though here is then no functionality as commanded, the screen view may change to a full screen of the album artwork instead. I’ll see what I can send to you tomorrow. One thing that I am sure of is that this has been uniquely associated with v. 1.42 and there were no issues with its predecessors.

:thinking: Interesting. I haven’t encountered this problem.

1 Like

@Anupc

No … me neither and this is the first I’ve heard of it too…

@PAR

In @johnandvirginia 's original posting he says…

So what I would like to get is a screenshot of that and then maybe the software guys can get something from what is happening with the button. So when you said you were getting the same issue I assumed that you were also getting the play pause button getting corrupted / blurred hence including you in the request for a screenshot.

At the moment this is the only thing that I can get as information for the software guys to work on as an indication of an issue.

Cheers

Phil

1 Like

@Anupc

It’s quite possible but as you can see from that thread the discussion of the mechanics of what actions take place and how they should only take a few hundred milliseconds doesn’t really cut much in the way of mustard when as far as a user is otherwise concerned their network works correctly because other things work OK, their computers and phones get to the Internet, NetFlix works on their TV etc. - and that’s understandable.

What I did here in the UK was pick up a few VERY cheap routers (as much as anything to show that you don’t need anything special to make things work correctly), set them up so that they can be used to create a separated network (with a 172. IP range so that there should be no issues routing over any domestic network using either 192.168.x.y or 10.x.y.z IP ranges) with its own WiFi that can uplink to an existing customers network, make up some “kits” with a shippable case, all the required cables and a set of really simple “plug this into here and plug this into here” instructions so that the streamer (and NAS/ Roon Core etc.) can be plugged into it, the router uplinked to the users existing network and then the system tested there.

It’s a bit of a basic thing to do but it tends to pretty quickly resolve any questions about whether it’s the streamer / app or the network that it’s running across and once that’s identified it becomes much easier to expend the appropriate effort in the appropriate areas …

Finally got a couple sent out to the USA for the US guys to use there so it might be worthwhile getting one over to Gregg but I can work through that with him…

Cheers

Phil

3 Likes

I get both most often is the waiting lot connection thing. Typically closing the mosaic app and reopenin* fixes that which i suspect is a network issue not in wifi connectivity as @par suggested but possibly running through multiple switches and maybe 100-200 ft.

The other issue in my description is i push pause and button changes. Can’t remark how. I can push it multiple times. No change. Its only happened about 3 times. Not sure update related. Dont recall. Did happen last night. I typically use my iphone. I believe when i changed to Ipad pause worked. Had not planned to report so didnt really pay attention. Ill try to taake a screenshot when it occurs aagain. Thx b

Yes readpreviously and suspect that other issue which is intermittent is network traffic. Thx @Anupc

1 Like

Sounds like a good plan @Phil.

That said though, most folks seem to have at least a pair of cascaded Switches between their Mosaic Control iDevice and the dCS component. Like Gregg listed above for example; Mosaic → EEPro → Cisco → dCS. Which means, every time Mosaic Control sends out a dCS hunt request broadcast, thats 3 hops to get to the dCS, adding to the overall response time delay.

That shouldn’t be a problem when every thing is hunky dory, but in reality, including depending on what else is going-on on the network, response times could impact user-experience.

However, thats not likely the cause of the issue raised in this thread with the play/pause buttons ceasing to function; thats a strange one. Suggests Mosaic REST calls are either not to getting to the dCS component, or it’s not receiving a response for some reason. :thinking:

1 Like

Many thanks for all the comments. Nice not to be the only one!! I shall endevour to take a screen shot on my iphone iOS 15.8

1 Like

@Anupc

Yes, it’s becoming increasingly common that users are putting in switches to “clean up” the Ethernet traffic / data and even if they can be proven to be causing issues then getting them removed from the equation sometimes proves impossible because the user has to have them in the chain as their system sounds so much better with it in there …

I recently had an instance of a user with “one of those switches that we’ve discussed on here previously” who was having issues with a dCS unit seeing his UPnP server and I went through with this person bypassing that switch and suddenly the dCS kit was able to see the UPnP server and we proved out that when the switch was between the server and the dCS kit then the UPnP server simply vanished so obviously the answer was just not to use that switch but the user was incredibly insistent that it had to be used and that we had to “fix” our kit so that it would work with the switch because it sounded so good.

It is becoming increasing difficult as the old analogue audio tweakery is being applied to networking…

P

3 Likes

I use IOS on Ipad and Iphone and it happens the same, the Mosaic simply freeze.

I can try to help you here Phil. I don’t usually use Mosaic but I am WFH today so I can give it a try and if anything untoward happens I’ll take a screenshot. Simple network here, just the ISP router, so nothing to worry about :wink:

@Lima , your issue sounds unlike mine in that all of Mosaic is freezing. This sounds like a loss of connection. That is not to say that as we investigate further such a loss may not lie behind what I am reporting . However in essence my problem relates exclusively to the blue Play/Pause button. Repeated tries tapping an unresponsive button may eventually produce a loss of connection message but not always.

@Phil , I am trying to produce a useful screenshot. However all of this is intermittent and today all I am getting is a lack of response ( which has not a resultant image other then what looks like a normal screen). I will keep trying until it produces one of those blurred screens - unfortunately for tracing things down this occurs only occasionally.

I note your useful remarks concerning nested switches and this might being what affects me ( although I repeat it only concerns a single command - otherwise Mosaic functions as normal). My addition of a Melco S100 switch post router has to be irrational ( but efficacious) . Once I would be able to easily swap the S100 out. However my disabilities now make it a daunting task. I will try if I can.

1 Like

If anyone can remember what they were doing when the screen froze that would be very helpful from the point of view of trying to reproduce it. I suspect it is something on the backend that is triggering this. Anything anyone could remember would be helpful. I have been pressing away at Pause and Play for over half an hour now with no problems at all. I am using Qobuz and files from my local NAS. I don’t have Tidal however, could that just maybe be the problem?