Mosaic Playlists

Thank you, Andrew! I hope you will be successful in this endeavour!
Best regards
Göran

A known issue? OK. Yes a solution would be most welcome as playlists is a feature up until now I used a lot. Until I posted about it here I hadn’t encountered this behaviour before - our Rossini must be around 3 years old now. Our playlists are always from the NAS so upnp is the problem then. That’s good to know as there’s no point putting together any more till this is fixed.

Yes. We discovered the problem in March 2020.

The new playlist mechanism (as of Mosaic 1.1.0) periodically refreshes track metadata so that what is shown in the list is always current. This is breaking with some UPnP servers as we aren’t being given ID information that remains constant through all rescan scenarios. So in other words, the track identifier that we’re given today will get reset with the next rescan and will likely end up being assigned to a different track. We may end up removing the refresh mechanism for UPnP tracks which would make it behave like the old Rossini app.

Playlists will never be perfect with UPnP as there’s no surefire way to fingerprint a track. Any change to track metadata and/or location on storage will likely cause the server software to see it as a completely new file and that will likely break any link that we’re able to establish. This is one of the fundamental limitations of UPnP and one of the reasons why I’m a big supporter of Roon for those who make heavy use of playlist features from their local library.

1 Like

Any progress on this? Happening to me too.

Hi Lloyd. Welcome to the Forum. I can see @Andrew replied to an earlier post of mine on 1July saying that maybe this problem would be addressed in the next software update to Mosaic.

I certainly hope so as playlist is a function I like and used a lot. Keeping my fingers crossed. Maybe this should be in the Christmas present thread?

Hope so! :slight_smile:

i have similar issues which make me hesitate to use playlist

Hi @TonyWONG. I wouldn’t waste my time on this till dCS come up with a solution. I had spent time creating a good number of playlists and all of them were ruined. If you read through the earlier correspondence you’ll see @Andrew confirmed it was a known issue.

The hope is that Mosaic 1.1.1 will rectify things.

Mosaic 1.1.1 has NOT fixed this problem. Despite it being flagged June/July and @Andrew admitting it was a known problem, absolutely nothing has been done to fix it.

Utterly fed up.

Archie I hope that dCS will see your recent posting. The Release Notes for 1.1.1 does mention improvements to playlists but this seems limited to increasing the number of titles that can be added. I hope that your issue is not lost in the noise so to speak.

Hi Pete. I hope so too. It was something we used a hell of a lot - when you could have guests in your home and for our own listening pleasure too. I’m mystified that Aurender have a solid workable solution and dCS who occupy a high end niche do not.

When the tracks started corrupting just as before, quite apart from the complete waste of my time, I felt for perhaps the first time with dCS unheard and simply ignored. I had hoped that the earlier exchange of messages with @Andrew would produce a happy solution particularly as other members on the Forum have added their support for a fix.

I wish you happy Christmas when it comes!

I would guess that 99% of dCS owners use Roon or something similar. DCS have indicated from the start that Mosaic is not intended to be a Roon alternative. Aurender’s app is a Roon replacement as their products do not run Roon. I have used Aurender devices at one of my local dealers and it sure isn’t as easy to use easy to use as Roon.

Could someone explain the need for Mosaic other than cost of avoiding paying for Roon which for Vivaldi and Rossini owners relatively minimal.

I have tried Roon and didn’t think it offered me anything I needed. It was nothing to do with cost. What an odd comment.

You like Roon. Good for you.

I figured some would take my post wrong. My point is dCS has stated Mosaic was not intended to be a full fledged player to compete with … name your product. If I recall correctly it was to only offer simple playback capabilities along with functions to control filters, MAPs etc.

It’s been quite a while since I ran MinimServer, so please forgive me if I am asking the wrong question. Is there a UPnP controller that builds reliable playlists and isn’t affected by the Minim rescan/rebuild process? As Jim notes, Mosaic doesn’t seem intended to be an uber-UPnP client; its functionality seems focused on component interactions and basic playback functions. That it happens to include Tidal, Qobuz, Spotify, Deezer and other playback is a real bonus, I think.

I use Mosaic only for component control and versioning. Roon does the rest. If I want to do a quick filter or upsampling adjustment, I just switch to Mosaic (which still allows me to pause or play or advance the track). I understand not everyone wants to use Roon. So, what would be the recommended control end, in addition to Mosaic, for a MinimServer system?

I’m not trying to be an apologist for dCS or Mosaic here. I’m just wondering if there isn’t a pragmatic, non-Roon solution to the corrupted playlist problem.

1 Like

I can’t think of any at the moment, but good suggestion on trying to finding an alternate solution to the problem. :smiley: :+1:t3:

Some don’t need/desire Roon and the controls in Mosaic are fine - except the playlist issue. Since Mosaic offers a playlist, it is clearly within what they consider scope for the program. It is such a basic functionality and to have it corrupt the list makes it essentially worthless - and very exasperating when it ruins all the effort put into a thoughtful playlist. So a basic fix would be VERY much appreciated!

1 Like

Did you see dCS’ update on fixes for Mosaic v 1.1.1 yesterday? I am sure that they are aware of this issue:

When we first bought our Rossini, the playlist offered on the then App - don’t recall its name - the predecessor of Mosaic, allowed one to prepare and store playlists - without any problem

So yes, this problem arose with introduction of Mosaic. As Lloyd @lpaiello rightly says this is an option offered by the App so it should work. @Andrew acknowledged it as a “known” issue back in June/July last year. It was similarly acknowledged in an earlier conversation I had with Rav Bawa along with a proposed dCS fix for alphabetical scrolling within the App.

Reassuringly @James believes the next update to Mosaic will not take as long as 1.1.1 to appear - hopefully these two issues under discussion will be addressed.

I bit the bullet time-wise and created copies of tracks into 40 playlists. The real pain is changing the meta-data. Fortunately, my Melco (used as UPnP as suggested by Roger) has some much room that space is a non-issue. But, it works. It will be nice if Mosaic eventually allows us to make these on the fly.