Gapless Replay of 24/192

This is to revive an issue that was raised some tine ago. Gapless replay seems not possible when streaming hi-res files of 24/192 resolution.

LSO Live are releasing more recordings in this format. \there was a new issue yesterday of Strauss/Also Sprach Zarathustra / Roth/LSO. As with all of the Strauss tone poems the piece plays continuously although rack markers have been inserted at each change of “episode” . This creates a brief gap or glitch at each point making the whole entirety unlistenable IMO.

I have not bought a download of the recording as I presume that if streaming doesn’t work UPnP replay will be the same.

I know dCS always has a long list of things to deal with but this is now quite a longstanding issue.

1 Like

Same recording is up on Apple Music at 24/192. Can’t steam 192 with airplay of course, but I can try usb and see what happens.

Interesting. I look forward to reading what happens. Of course the problem may be a Mosaic one and that would help indicate this if the USB works with AirPlay.

Pete, I see it’s on Qobuz. Will give it a go through Roon later today.

Gapless playback is working from Apple Music into my Bartok both via usb at 192 and via Airplay at 44.1. Perhaps, as you suggest Pete, the issue lies with mosaic.

Great performance!

Hi Pete for this album Gapless 24/192 playback works with Roon via upnp (I only use upnp with Roon) This is not the case with Mosaic neither with Audirvana. I think you have an idea of the problem ?

Confirm that playback through Roon from Qobuz is gapless. I understand that’s as expected, but thought it could assist as a data point.

Hi Pete, and confirm that playback through mosaic from Tidal is gapless ?

can you buy 24/192 from apple? or is that only for streaming?

Surely in 16/44

Streaming only!

1 Like

Re LSO live… does anyone know what the post workflow is? Converted to DXD for balancing and editing? Native DSD is clear they create DSD derivatives from masters supplied by studios but in most cases they don’t specify the master. Wondering if lso live recordings are derived from DXD masters.

I have one or two titles purchased from native DSD that came as both high rated DSD and DXD. They sound identical to me through the Bartok.

According to Native DSD the original recording format was DSD256. Maybe I should change my mind about the viability of adding the format :wink:

Thanks to everyone for responding. We now seem to have established that the 24/192 stream plays with gaps when played via Mosaic but not via other streaming platforms. This is in line with a thread on the same technical shortcoming some time ago. So it remains as an issue. I’ll tag @Phil on this.

2 Likes

Hi Pete,

I’m not at a PC at the moment but where exactly is this being streamed from?

BR

Phil

1 Like

Thanks Phil. The stream uses the Mosaic option for Qobuz. It should be easy to find as it is a new release from yesterday.

Thanks Pete … and you’re saying that this is something that has come in since the last Mosaic update?

BR

Phil

No, I am saying that this is a long standing issue and was the subject of a thread some time ago. Here it is. Please read the entire thread as it becomes clear that it is a Mosaic issue as it progresses.

2 Likes

I am currently playing 24/192kHz Dark Side of the Moon (50th Anniversary Issue) from Qobuz via Mosaic. I am noticing short gaps between the tracks. The gaps are not subtle and sometimes the beginning of the following track is cut off (piano at the beginning of ‘The great gig in the sky’)
This is after the recent Mosaic and Rossini FW update.

This error in the processing of 24 bit / 192kHz material has been around for a long time and was reported by me. The solution was to change the flac format to WAV or AIV or remove the stitched cover (“jpg” file) from the flac file. Of course, these are effective solutions for local files to which we have the rights and we can convert them and remove the covers inserted in them. However, there is no way in the case of streaming, e.g. Qobuz. Apart from the fact that each solution requires time and some knowledge of the software and sometimes the purchase of software to do it. In DCS’s opinion, this issue was not an important or common bug to be prioritized for finding resolution. Maybe that will change now?
Best Regards Robert

@Phil
I am also seeing the gapless (or lack thereof) issue streaming 24/352.8kHz FLAC from MinimServer on my Synology NAS. Control is via Mosaic. Again, the gap is not subtle.

1 Like