For Christmas....the dCS present!

What I see is that Mosaic is not only a software which act as a remote but a backbone of the software roadmap including setup, parameters and for sure UPnP.
I’m not any more an UPnP user if if sometime i come back to it. I’m not part of these persons who are complaining about the fact that Roon does not propose directory browsing. My library is perfectly tagged and organized and I even use Roon. When I use UPnP I never use the directory browsing but browsing by artists, albums and, according to me, what is missing is a « recent added » browsing like what the lumin/esoteric app is providing. Anyway i do not see so much differences in terms of functionalities between mosaic and what the other well known on the market already provide since years. So in a nutshell, as mosaic is a backbone of the software journey I will still use it and look for next evolution on the UPnP side.

1 Like

I did not mean that it should not exist. For setup, configuration checks and updates I do think it makes sense. For the rest, it is just really basic. When you compare it with something like Lumin it is far from the mark.
The question is how much are they ready to work in that direction? As an old customer I experienced all the predecessors of Mosaic and they always stayed pretty crude from that point of view. Let’s hope this time it will be different…

1 Like

The only aspect that I’m most concerned about is Sound Quality, and on that front, dCS having full control over Mosaic gives them the ability to focus on delivering exactly that, the best sound quality experience (with good enough usability).

In fact, to me, Mosaic sounds distinctly better than Roon when playing back the exact same tracks from the same source - HDD or Qubuz or Tidal etc - for whatever reason (maybe Roon/RAAT does something funky). I’m really not interested in Lumin App type of bells & whistles.

1 Like

How dCS could deliver a solution does not sounds perfect in terms of quality ? I remember that they stopped thinking delivering sound over the Network Bridge USB for this reason so how they could support Roon if it sounds at least not equal to UPnP ? What is the problem with Roon from your view ?

I am not sure that you are correct in this. Andrew’s message about the aborted USB output for the Network Bridge said that the USB device under consideration could not be made to work satisfactorily to dCS’ standards. There was no mention of sound quality specifically at all. It was felt that it would be inappropriate for dCS to offer something that did not function correctly even if the customer would likely be unaware.

Hello Pete, you are right, you used the right words mentioning “dCS standards”. I concluded probably too fast that it was linked to “sound quality”.
Any way if there is a such difference between UPnP and Roon, i assume it should be out of the “dCS standards”.

For the same reason dCS supports TOSLink interfaces for example, when it’s clearly an inferior interface compared to others - providing wide enough usability.

Roon clearly is the market leader when it comes to playback UI, so it’s no surprise dCS would want to support it, but in my opinion, Roon is not the last word in Sound Quality, they’re appear to be focused on adding more and more features into the now very bloated software.

I can’t tell why there is a sonic difference when the source material and the physical transport medium is identical, but especially on my Vivaldi system, there’s a subtle but distinct difference between listening with Roon/RAAT versus Mosaic Control-app/UPnP, with the latter always sounding better.

The only people who could suggest possible reasons why this might be the case is dCS because it requires intimate knowledge of the streaming board/interface into the rest of the system. Maybe for another thread on dcs.community :grin:

Thanks. Now I’m curious and need to test Roon vs UPnP :grinning:
I also read people hearing such difference but not with a dCS system and their conclusion was that it could be linked to RAAT protocol. They were also mentioning that between the version 1.6 and 1.7 of Roon, the sound improved being less « round » especially in medium. Let’s see.

Hope all dCS team is working safe and they can move properly with the next gifts and surprise for our equipments :slight_smile:

If I understand well, you expect Christmas in July :rofl:…but who knows :wink:

I always expect Christmas whatever the date :slight_smile:

2 Likes

dCS Network Bridge Software v2.0x
Hopefully.

1 Like

Bartók v2.0. To the set that all DCS devices have already received version 2.0.
Best regards Robert

3 Likes

Time to think about Christmas 2021 as it is very quiet since months :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Maybe we will see a 3.0 (work name: Covid-21) SW/FW update during -2021

1 Like

Well, I noticed I created this conversation thread in September 2019…So, it is time to talk about the next Christmas gift from dCS…and this year, as we stayed quietly home listening music on dCS gear, because we like doing it, but also because we had to…I suggest dCS should reward us with something new…my preference is a new release of the Mosaic software, but why not a Vivaldi 3.0 upgrade, or a Network Bridge 2.0 or a Vivaldi Upsampler with a headphone amplifier included…

Well Mosaic v. 1.1.1 is promised shortly and I guess that “shortly” now includes the Christmas shopping period.

I don’t anticipate that there will be a Vivaldi 3.0 upgrade given discussion ( or rumour mongering :slightly_smiling_face:) on these boards about the possibility of Vivaldi being replaced next year. If so and if they are going to stick with Italian composers for the name I hope it is Monteverdi. Not only does that sound cool but it also reminds me of a Swiss supercar of the 1970s.

Hmmm. How would that work? The Upsampler is a DDC, and a headphone amp would require a DAC in there somewhere.

Anyway, I am afraid Pete is probably correct. He knows dCS way better than I do, but it’s my sense that a 3.0 firmware for Vivaldi is both unlikely and (from an SQ perspective other than higher res DSD) unnecessary. I suppose an incremental firmware update for Vivaldi, allowing for firmware updates for Rossini and Bartok while preserving the product line separations, might be possible. I will be interested to see what the new Mosaic will bring, but as a Roon user for my music playback, I doubt it will be very meaningful for me.

A Swiss superknife I can understand, but a Swiss supercar…welll…they should better make a Vivaldi 3.0 then :rofl:

Ouups, you are right…I guess it would work like a Swiss supercar :sweat_smile:

1 Like