Dcs clock jitter specs

does anyone know, what is jitter spec on Rossini clock and Vivaldi clock.
not that it matters or not in audio quality. asking just out of curiosity.
manufacturers like MSB offer clock with various jitter spec like starting from 140 femto to 77 to their 33 femto which is their top of the line

I don’t have an answer to your question, but just as an aside, different DAC architectures have varying sensitivity to clock jitter, and the resulting sonic impact can manifest in very different ways depending on the DAC.

Since you mentioned MSB, their discrete R-2R Resistor Ladder architecture is, I believe, inherently more sensitive to clock jitter than say a DAC built with a delta-sigma converter chip from ESS for example. So, in fact, MSB actually needs to have a better clock.

As you no doubt guessed, IMHO, knowing a specific clock jitter number is not going to help determine how one system performs compared to another. Apples and oranges and all that :slight_smile:

2 Likes

thank you @Anupc. definitely an interesting fact to think about.
would fpga custom chip ringdac like as in dcs fall in the same category as ESS/wolfson/AKM in terms of sensitivity to clock jitter?

I don’t honestly know :grin:, by the way, even the delta-sigma folks aren’t all alike, ESS for example has specific (patented) technology that helps them mitigate (or at least dramatically reduce) clock jitter issues.

That said, on the basis that the dCS Clocks themselves support a random clock dither function, my educated guess would be that dCS systems are likely less sensitive to external clock jitter than your average other top-of-the-line DACs.

2 Likes

I seem to recall reading something by one of our dCS team explaining how traditional clock jitter specs are not very helpful in understanding effect on the (dCS) DAC. But I am probably misremembering.

But Anup is correct: different DAC chips and architectures need certain qualities of clock performance in order to sound their best. When I made the move from my TotalDAC rig to my MSB Select II, I ponied up for the femto 33 clock, because it made a difference. To my ears, the Vivaldi Clock improves (audibly and not insignificantly) the Vivaldi DAC, and I assume that’s because its performance has been engineered for the RingDAC. I’d probably like to understand the “how” better, but dCS is understandably coy about details. And the Cybershaft OP21A seems to help further (unfortunately, with one step further removed from the “how”). If and when we get a Vivaldi successor, I suspect we—and our wallets—will get a chance to re-evaluate these matters. :wink:

2 Likes

Oh yes, James did indeed explain much of this back in June. :grinning: :+1:t3:

1 Like

Thanks Anup.