10 MHz Reference Clock

EtherRegen in my system works great. No interruptions to streaming from my NAS. It is indeed warm, but until it exceeds 60c, there is nothing to worry about.

1 Like

Hey guys. A sales rep at Mutec just told me that I won’t be able to connect directly a Mutec REF10 SE120 to the Vivaldi Clock and that instead I would need two MC3+ USB paired with a REF10 SE120 because of the 2 Wordclock inputs which are 44.1khz and 48khz. Does this make sense? Thanks. Franco

Not to me — the Mutec REF10’s benefit to the Vivaldi Clock is the 10MHz signal, not the 44.1 and 48kHz signals.

I think the salesperson thinks you want to clock your DAC, not the Vivaldi Clock. Or — perhaps more likely — they’d like to sell you two MC3 units to go with the REF10 :yum:

6 Likes

Thanks Ben :grinning:

1 Like

What is the benefit of adding an external clock to a full Vivaldi stack in terms of SQ improvement as a percentage? Roughly speaking.

Hi Franco,

No percentage here, but useful insight anyway. I hope it will help you:

2 Likes

Thanks Erno.

This is what someone said on another forum:

I can’t speak for other digital systems, but if you use full stack of dCS Vivaldi system, the price of OP21A is around 10% of Vivaldi system and it improves the sound by 50%. You can do the maths. In fact, even OP20 and Mutec SE-120 enhance the sound significantly, the one who doesn’t use a proper 10M reference clock on his Vivaldi system is not revealing the full potential of his gear.”

Does this resonate with anyone in this forum?

Pure unadulterated hyperbole :rofl:, obviously written by someone with a hyperactive imagination.

Franco, just my personal opinion, take what you read on WTB with a very BIG pinch of salt.

2 Likes

My decision-making process was like this:

Do I like the Perf10 improvements enough to not have $4k extra in the bank?

“Yep.”

5 Likes

In my reading I found this quote about the Perf10 which I found interesting:

Stanford Research Systems “manufactures the PERF10’s key internal component: its PRS10 rubidium-disciplined oscillator. The word on the street is that SRS sells that oscillator to a number of high-end audio companies, which use it in their expensive master clocks.”

I wonder if it’s true and if so, who is using them…

1 Like

I read a while back that perhaps Esoteric use them, but don’t remember the source.

3 Likes

Here it is:

No stranger to master clocks, for some time now I’ve been using Stanford Research’s PERF10 Rubidium clock (from $3495). In my review of the PERF10, in December 2015, I concluded that it was one of the biggest audiophile bargains I’d heard. In fact, Esoteric uses the PERF10’s rubidium oscillator, the PRS10, in its G-01, G-01X, and Grandioso G1 clocks.

https://www.soundstageultra.com/index.php/equipment-menu/788-esoteric-grandioso-g1-master-clock-generator

2 Likes

Franco,

I have used a 10M rubidium clock with my Paganini components, and earlier dCS gear, for many years. This was an approach first employed in audio gear by Esoteric, the outstanding high end Japanese audio company. I don’t have a dCS clock or an Esoteric, I’m using an Antelope Audio 10MX, which also converts the 10m sound to standard sampling rates.

Personally I think a rubidium clock is a significant improvement in the sound. The sound is more focused in space, instruments are more precisely rendered, multiple lines in the music are clearer, overtones easier to hear. But I also have sources such as the Berlin Philharmonic Digital Concert Hall which stream through a Panasonic blu ray player and can’t be connected to the 10m clock. (I don’t know of any blu ray player which will accept a clock input or I would get it.) The sound is still excellent but more broadly rendered, more of one overall sound. It seems possible to me that some some listeners might prefer such a broader sound. I prefer the rubidium clock.

Suggest you try to demo such a clock and hear the effect for yourself. The clock I use is about $7k in the US, not sure about other markets. It might very well be worth pairing this or another such clock with the Vivaldi gear.

Kevin Callahan

1 Like

Nice @Ermos, another answer sleuthed! : )

1 Like

Of note:

"Why is it important for a DAC to have two clocks?

The vast majority of digital audio was recorded within two different frequency families: multiples of 44.1kHz and multiples of 48kHz. The 44.1kHz family includes CD, DSD and many high resolution formats such as 176.4kHz. The 48kHz family includes most sound recorded along with video and many high resolution formats, such as 96kHz and 192kHz audio. But there are differences between these two frequency families. One oscillator–such as 10Mhz or 27MHz–can be converted into the frequencies required to play back both the 44.1kHz and 48kHz families. However, the electrical circuits required are extremely lossy, leading to a large degradation of clock precision."

2 Likes

Hi Kevin,

Welcome to the community.

Maybe then, this might interest you. There are still a few available:

http://www.oppodigital.co.uk/Understanding-the-HDMI-Audio-Jitter-Reduction-Circuit-OPPO-UDP-205.html

http://www.oppodigital.co.uk/UDP-205.html

2 Likes

Thanks Kevin!

I think this will be a factor soon, the question being who will be the first company to incorporate it into an audio product?

Chip Scale Atomic Clock

Agreed. In order of magnitude of contribution to SQ, I would rank these steps as:

1. Addition of Master Clock
  2. Dithering on Master Clock
  3. Addition of Reference Clock of appropriate design for the dCS architecture.
5 Likes