Clicks and pops, Puccini Uclock

As I tried to make clear, these resources are not functioning currently. I just rechecked using your link.

Thats strange. :thinking: How about the direct links? Be sure to re-load these pages;

https://www.dcsltd.co.uk/support/user-manual-puccini-u-clock/

https://www.dcsltd.co.uk/support/user-manual-dcs-puccini-cdsacd-player/

1 Like

Thanks. Your links are working but the relevant page on the dCS website still isnā€™t. Odd.

I tried switching the USB audio class from 2 (which the manual states is how it is shipped) to class 1. Following the directions called for a switching off, holding dither button for 10 seconds after turning back on and waiting for the dither LED to flash. Did all that and never got a flashing LED. Also, the option to switch the USB audio class necessitates i get a software update.

I asked DCS to send me a software update some time ago and just asked again. Not sure if that is where the problem lies (current version is 2.0x I think (based on the Jul 13 manual on the website), and I am at 1.21).

I cannot tell you how annoying these clicks and pops areā€“thats why I moved away from vinyl a long time ago (and invested well over $20k in the Puccini player/processor and UClock) , and now I seem to be right back where i startedā€¦

Iā€™ll keep hunting for the fly in the ointment and the wrench in the worksā€¦

Mitch

You should be contacting your dCS distributor.

From the U-Clock Manual (Page 16 & 17);

The Puccini manual online is for v.2. As the OP has a v.1.21 machine it is not certain that all of the instructions in the later manual will be relevant.

I am unsure whether he will be able to secure the necessary software and hardware upgrades. The Puccini is a discontinued product and I understand that upgrades for withdrawn products are not normally available. Perhaps dCS would like to comment on this?

The OP had a fully functioning system until he changed the version of OS on his IMac. I often read of incompatibilities with various applications caused by Appleā€™s OS changes including custom designed music players e.g. http://bitperfectsound.blogspot.com/ .

If that or something similar is the case here, rather than an incorrect setting of the Puccini /uclock, there isnā€™t much that can be done except revert to the older OS or change the source e.g. to a Windows machine.

Pete,

Thanks for the responseā€¦a simple enough question ā€“ ā€œIs the 1.21 Puccini UClock compatible with MAC OS High Sierra?ā€ Iā€™ll pose that directly to DCS, although they claim to monitor this forum and are ready to assist here.

Thanks

Mitch

I brought down from my office a Mac Mini (OS Catalina) and connected it to the UClockā€“same problem, the mini shows the UClock as selectable on the left side of the screen, but the clock source shows source as default with no ability to change it.

Below is an inquiry i just sent DCS.

I sent an inquiry a couple days ago on an issue I am having with a UClock interfacing with an IMAC. I recently updated the operating system on the IMac to OS Sierra. Under the IMacā€™s previous operating system it all worked fine.

Now, the midi controller on the IMac shows the UClock available to select, but the clock source will not change from default. As a result, I get persistent clicks when I play music from my ITunes library.

To test the system, I replaced the IMac with a Mac mini I have (OS Catalina) and connected it to the UClock. Again, the UClock shows as available to select in the midi setup screen, but the source is shown again as default. The clicks persist.

Is my UClock compatible with these operating systems? If not, what is the most current Mac operating system with which it would be compatible?

Found a dCS US Service rep on Audiogonā€“Steve George (703 349 6989). Have left 2 voice mails. The VM message states ā€œYouā€™ve reached the dCS North American Service Center.ā€ No response.

Filled out 2 support requests to dCS via their website support page. No response.

Emailed dCS directly. No response.

My patience grows thin.

Thanks to everyone here for your adviceā€¦if any of ya happen to have the ear of anyone at dCS, pls put in a good word for me.

Mitch

I have sent you a PM.

Hi David,

I have emailed you twice so far around this, might be worthwhile checking your emailā€™s Junk folder in case it got caught up in a spam filter somewhere!

Feel free to drop me a PM on here if you canā€™t see them.

Before this gets out of handā€¦

@mitchell1079, no one is ignoring you and we have had a few internal discussions about the issue that you are experiencing. We have made several attempts to contact you via email and have not received a response.

Please send @James a private message here on the forum or respond to one of his emails and he will bring you up-to-date on the work that weā€™ve done to isolate this issue.

This is not us and never has been. As far as I can tell this is the service center for DCS appliances.

I checked my junk email folder, nothing thereā€¦just to confirm, My email is [email protected]

The dCS Service Center phone number I found on Audiogon was posted by Steve George, and he stated heā€™s the North American rep for DCS for service and sales. He also stated he is a DCS employeeā€¦here is the post verbatim.

ā€˜dCS Ltd. now has a US Service Center

Hi folks, Iā€™m Steve George, service manager and tech.

An actual dCS employee, I am tasked with taking care of your needs whether software updates or actual repairs.

dCS North America
180 N. Belvedere Dr.
Unit 5A
Gallatin, TN 37066
[(703) 349-6989](tel:(703) 349-6989)

My other boss is Nagra, so we are Nagraā€™s US service center, too.ā€˜ (end post)

I spoke with Jim Fuller this morning and he shared my email describing my situation to Jesse Luna so I guess things are moving forward.

I did not intend to get this spun out of control, but Iā€™m making some changes to my system, which presently features the Puccini SACD/CD player and UClock as its centerpiece. Iā€™d like to keep it that way but I gotta fix the clicks and pops problem.

Reading the thread and your latest posting: Who Jim Fuller ? Who Jesse Luna? Without telling us, we other contributors to this thread who have been trying to help are no wiser.

Steve George ( whoever he is) is in TN. Data Conversion Systems Americas Inc ( i.e. dCS) is in MA. dCS Ltd is the company in the UK. DCS makes ovens and other kitchen appliances.

Andrew asked you to contact James Cook but I donā€™t see that you did this.

https://www.dcsltd.co.uk/find/where-to-find/

1 Like

Pete,

Sorry for the cryptic statusā€¦

Mike Reeve provided me with Jesse Luna and Jim Fuller as points of contact for help:

ā€œFor immediate assistance with product technical or sales support, please contact our Sales Manager, Jesse Luna,

For any service-related inquiries, please contact our Service Manager, Jim Fuller

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.

Slainte,

Mitch

I use a MacBook on my Rossini. As from the beginning I use the program Audirvana (try it for free on the website), with is recommend by dCS, for Mac users. Set in the MIDI (settings on the Mac) to 24 bits/192Khz.
Use a good quality USB-cable and a 75ohm cable between the U-clock and Cd/Player (for signal and clock).

I thought that one of the reasons for using Audirvana is that by doing so you avoid the MIDI sound engine entirely and a send a bitperfect stream from player to the DAC. If you set MIDI to 24/192 it means that the computer ( not the dCS device) is upsampling everything to 24/192 or transcoding/ downsampling DSD . Not the best solution. With Audirvana it should not matter what the MIDI settings are as it is not functional.

In the settings from Audirvana is possible to set if you want to go for up sampling, default is no up sampling. In the MIDI settings you give the maximum resolution that the DAC can use. For a Uclock (Puccini) is that 24/192 and for a Rossini 24/384.

I am trying to get across the point that the MIDI setting is not some kind of matching device between the player and DAC. It is an upsampler/downsampler within the Mac OS which is technically not too good ( e.g. compared to a dCS one). It does not deliver a bit perfect signal to the Rossini unless by chance the original resolution equals that set in MIDI. Your Rossini should do the upsampling not your computer. This feature is, in part, what you have paid for.

With Audirvana it is not necessary to set the MIDI to anything as it should be bypassed by Aidirvana.

https://audirvana.com/technology/#contrƓle_audio

Thank you for the fast response. This one is new for me. Thank you for the the link.