Brand new Rossini DAC crashed

That is really excellent news.

I wish that we could hear something similar from @Jbower and @Erwan about their Bartoks.

1 Like

Pete Hi

Thanks for this, I was going to wait for some concrete news before posting again. It’s been some weeks since I spoke to James Cook. They’ve had my Bartok now for several weeks…

I sent him a gentle reminder this morning.

Stay tuned.

Jon

I didn’t mean you’d say that to gloat, but rather as increasing your sample size in support of your hypothesis.

This is bad news. Hope you get sorted soon Erno! :+1:

1 Like

No worries - I guessed that… Anyway, gloating is always maximally uncool.

Anything interesting in the logs?

The most surprising of the logs is that they start on the 28th April, 2021 whereas I got my Rossini end of July, 2021.

Apr 28 07:53:08 dcs-rossini syslog.info syslogd started: BusyBox v1.23.2

As they are probably machine rather than owner specific maybe that’s when it was built and tested?

No idea. I can only compare with the logs of my previous BartĂłk, and they started on the day I started my BartĂłk.

I am still analysing the logs, as far as I can. There are numerous errors, but not all may mean something serious.

The clock on the network board doesn’t have a battery back so it resets to zero when the card is powered off. Since it needs to have a start time in order to boot it uses the compile time of the network firmware to seed the clock. Once the network is up it uses NTP to get the correct real time. The logs are reset each time the unit is power cycled so that april time is everything that happened on the network board since the unit was last powered on.

It’s worth noting that the unit knowing the actual time is not relevant for it to function. It will operate normally even if the NTP call fails and it isn’t able to reset the clock to the current date an time.

4 Likes

That’s good to hear, Erno.
I hope that you’re soon able to put this episode behind you, and enjoy your new Rossini !

1 Like

Thank you Andrew.

However, the April time shows in the log which I downloaded within 1 hour after first starting up my new Rossini, but also the log downloaded yesterday, after numerous power cycles, because of the crash, starts with the April time.

So, no reset, so malfunction of the network board?

The logs have this:

Apr 28 07:53:08 dcs-rossini user.err kernel: [    2.281840] si5351 0-0060: missing parent clock
Apr 28 07:53:08 dcs-rossini user.warn kernel: [    2.286743] si5351: probe of 0-0060 failed with error -22

Apr 28 07:53:08 dcs-rossini daemon.err mDNSResponder: Unable to parse DNS server list. Unicast DNS-SD unavailable
Apr 28 07:53:08 dcs-rossini daemon.err mDNSResponder: mDNSPlatformSourceAddrForDest: connect 1.1.1.1 failed errno 101 (Network is unreachable)

Hi @Ermos,
I can imagine your disappointment after the long wait, and expense.

As a potential upgrader to Rossini, currently listing my Puccini setup for sale, which although dated, works flawlessly, I am very interested in your outcome.

Please continue to keep us informed, and wishing you the best.

R

1 Like

An update is coming tomorrow morning, after I got a world class announcement this afternoon.

1 Like

What a teaser! I look forward to reading your post tomorrow.

1 Like

If you’re not going to say that you got a Vivaldi out of them on account of the failure I will feel deflated.

Edit: or a new Rossini with headphone amplification is going to be released and you’re getting he first one.

1 Like

:joy: Not Vivaldi.

But seriously, first I have to see, but world class service within 72 hours.

Hey Siri, remind me to check back in 72 hours

Just 10 hours from now :smiley: After 72 hours of reporting the issue.

Update: this early morning my new, replacement Rossini DAC has been delivered.

This is top notch, excellent and swift service from my dealer, their distributor and dCS themselves. Within 72 hours the problem has been solved, with the replacement being produced, tested, shipped from abroad, and delivered at home. Many thanks to all involved, hats off!

8 Likes