Adding stillpoints

I use three which for a Bartok loads them near the peak of their performance curve; four would under-load them according to IsoAcoustics

1 Like

Thanks for the info!

That is interesting info. Thanks Andy! What kind of peak performance would theoretically bring out with 3 versus 4?

This is probably consistent with how my dealer told me to use 3 wood blocks, 2 in the front and 1 in the back (slightly to the right where has more weight due to the transformer).

Do you also put two Indigo in the front and one in the back? Thanks.

Yes, I did remove the original feet. It is easy, two hex drivers per foot, unscrew them and the feet take off.

I have not experimented just followed their advice, so I donā€™t know the impact first hand, hereā€™s what they say:

ā€˜The weight distribution of the component can also be taken into account. If for example the component is heaviest at the back, then it is common to use 3 isolators with 2 positioned at the back corners and 1 positioned front/center.ā€™

I have two at the front and one at the back, but again I have not experimented.

1 Like

I see, I saw this graph on their website but did not know how to interpret. For the Indigo curve, it drops to zero performance when the weight is 26 lbs. not sure if the weight represents ā€œoneā€ indigo or 3 or 4, or the weight of the component being supported.

Bartok has more weight in the back and towards the right side (facing the DAC) probably due to the location of the internal power supply. Should we put 2 Indigo at the back and 1 at the front? Just thinking out loud. :slight_smile:

I read the curve as per footer, which needs to be multiplied according to the weight of your component (Bartok)

Correction to my earlier post: four would not be underloaded by a Bartok according to the curve, but there is no need to purchase four when you can use three

1 Like

Got it. So the graph is simply saying that the indigo (per isolator) performs the best when supporting a component weighting between 8 - 16 lbs (looks like peaking at 12 lbs). Since Bartok weights 32 lbs, 3 indigos (peaking at 36 lbs) should perform better than 4 (peaking at 48 lbs, farther away from Bartokā€™s weight)? Not sure if I can run the math like this :slight_smile:

I am afraid that you canā€™t draw your conclusion from the graph which refers only to the performance of a single Indigo ( whatever " Performance" is - there is no definition, the graph is more marketing than science ) and not to combinations of Indigos. All one can say with a degree of confidence is that 3 should support a maximum load of 48lbs from the tabulation shown in the above post.

I would also expect that the exact placement (position) of the pucks under the Bartok will also change the sound that you will experience.

I think that you are trying to find some kind of perfect answer that does not exist. Buy 4 and try them in different positions under the Bartok base. Then try 3 similarly and see which you prefer. If saving money is a priority then just buy 3. As the IsoAcoustics pucks do not offer 100% isolation across the audio bandwidth then the result you get will also depend in part upon your equipment shelf and its support. So I am afraid that I am also saying that other postersā€™ experiences may or may not be applicable to you as there is not going to be a case of everything else being equal.

3 Likes

Ayre prefers to have people use three wooden blocks as three points are all you need to define a plane.

For this application I would use four under the unitsā€™ feet as I prefer to have anything with a rotating drive unit level, and I can level with the unit feet atop the pucks where the pucks alone donā€™t offer that capability.

2 Likes

Thanks Pete! Agreed with you. In fact, I ordered 8 Indigo, 4 for Bartok and 4 for my tube preamp (which probably needs more isolation than Bartok), and they have arrived. So far 4 Indigo under Bartok sound pretty much the same as 3 Ayre wood blocks under Bartok, both sound good. Will try 3 Indigo in a day or two after I get used to 4. Very likely 3 will be the same.

Interestingly, 4 Indigo under my tube preamp sounded different from the original rubber feet, but I could not tell which is better so far. Indigo seems to make the background quieter but the loudness and the bass seems to reduce a bit. Probably I have previously been used to some distortion caused by vibration to my preamp and have enjoyed it :smile: time will tell, all good

1 Like

For what itā€™s worth, I added a set of four Bronze under my Rossini Clock and a set of four Indigo under my Rossini Player, and to me there is a definite difference in soundstage depth and the performers are more fully formed in space.

That doesnā€™t mean it will be the same for everyone - which is why a retailer with a good return policy is always advised - but certainly it was one of the more inexpensive tweaks Iā€™ve made and Iā€™m really happy with it.

I probably could have used three under the clock, but I definitely wanted four under the RP so I could level the player in both axis.

1 Like

Three points define a plane. Four disrupts the plane. Three points are more stable than four (e.g. a three legged stool). Four fixed height points will not improve the level. Discuss. Just a bit of Sunday afternoon fun :laughing:.

For extra fun: if youā€™re after level that can be done with one point. If youā€™re after stable that can, tooā€¦provided thereā€™s some skill involved :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Why do you need four to create a single level plane? A single plane does not preclude multiple axes, all of which could/would be level.

How would you suggest I level the player if using three Indigos?

The shelf isnā€™t level, and adding shims under the pucks seems to defeat the purpose.

By using four pucks, one under each foot, I can level the RP by adjusting the RPā€™s feet (sitting atop the pucks) individually.

Do I need additional stillpoints if my Bartok is on the rack Finite Elemente ?

Thatā€™s what I was wondering too,
i have the Bartok on a Quadraspire svt2 Bamboo rack, Do they can make improvements and how many orea are better to use, 3 or 4 ?

I would give it a try because you can move the Stillpoints to find the optimum contact points under the component - it makes a difference. You donā€™t have that opportunity if you just put your components on the shelf.

For example, I have Ultra 6 Stilpoints under my Rossini and I find it sounds much better when the isolators are in-board of the standard feet.

1 Like

Hi all I just purchased my first dCS product (Bartok) I am so happy with it, currently almost 60 hrs into Burn inā€¦

I have added Isoaccoustics Indigo under my Bartok, too early to tell if this makes a difference given it is brand new and still in burn in period, has anyone else on this forum used the same?

Interested to know the results?

Cheers Barry