About spdif output of DCS NB

I use the DSC NB as the master clock. Since the DCS NB only provides a master clock BNC output, I can only output the clock signal to the DAC BNC input, but I also have a digital device that also needs to be synchronized to the DCS NB, and this digital The device only has two clock synchronization methods, SPDIF and AES, and there is no BNC interface. What I want to say is whether it is possible to use the SPDIF of DCS NB (75 ohms like BNC) as the clock signal to transmit to the Spdif of another digital device of mine. input and synchronize them completely, not using the clock signal in the AES signal to synchronize, is this possible, please give some suggestions, thank you

To add, all three of them are concatenated using AES

That is to say, the AES of DCS NB outputs digital signals, and the clock BNC output and SPDIF output clock signals to the other two devices respectively and synchronize them.

In addition, how is the sound quality of the internal clock of DCS NB? Is it the last in all products of DCS, thank you

Hi,

I don’t see any information regarding what the “other” digital device is that you are looking to sync but unless I have understood you incorrectly then what you are suggesting doing will not work…

I think you are suggesting using the wordclock out from the Network Bridge to sync both your DAC and your “other device” to the NBR wordclock but the Network Bridge will only output a wordclock when it is playing and the wordclock will depend on the sample rate / bitrate of what it is playing at the time and the wordclock will be disrupted by track changes if the tracks that it is playing change sample rates or bit depths…

Best Regards

Phil

You may not understand what I want to express, the transmission of my equipment is like this: dcs NB → digital room processing equipment → DAC, they are all connected using AES digital cable, DCS NB is used as the master clock and outputs BNC to DAC Word clock input port, but my room processing equipment only provides word clock synchronization of Spdif and AES interfaces. At this time, I will use the Spdif output of DCS NB to connect to the Spdif input of my digital room processing equipment, and connect the It is set to Slave mode. At the same time, the two devices behind the DCS NB have been synchronized to the clock of the NB. What I want to know is that the DCS NB’s Spdif 75 ohm is supposed to transmit digital sound signals, is it feasible that I use it as a pure clock sync now? The NB’s clock output BNC 75 ohm port is only used to transmit the clock signal. Are they different in nature?

That is to say, I use the Spdif port of DCS NB as the second clock output, will there be any problem?

Since AES also has a clock signal, I used AES to synchronize my digital room equipment to DCS NB. Now I add a Spdif line, the clock signal and the sound signal are completely separated, so the sound is indeed improved. This is Obvious.

Phil, I believe Nicholas is talking about a platform like the Trinnov ST-HiFi, where it’s able to use an AES input as the primary Clock source.

Actually, there’s a previous discussion on dcs.community about exactly this;

Yes, that’s a coincidence, The digital room processor I’m talking about is exactly the Trinnov st2 hifi

The DCS NB is used as the master clock and outputs signals of three different wires, of which AES is used for signal output, the clock BNC output is used for synchronization with the DAC clock, and the Spdif output is used for synchronization with Trinnov’s clock (although SPDIF is not the same as BNC. Provide clock signal), but Trinnov can choose the input signal and input clock signal from AES or Spdif in the settings, so it is very flexible. In this way, the simultaneous output of AES and Spdif will affect the quality of the AES output signal or interference or the like introduction?Thanks

Thanks Anup! :smiley:

P

I would suggest this is something to confirm with the Trinnov guys in so far as what can the Trinnov pull a clock signal from but still I don’t think what you are trying to do is possible …

Certainly the S/PDIF feed cannot be used directly as a word clock into an input that is expecting a word clock (they’re totally different format signals).

The AES feed and the S/PDIF feed do contain identical data and would be synchronised with each other but I would not expect the Trinnov to be able to do any kind of clock sync for the AES feed using the S/PDIF feed and the S/PDIF output of the Network Bridge cannot be switched over to provide an additional word clock feed…

Best Regards

Phil

Hello, Phil, Trinnov’s reply to me is:It’s is possible to “slave” the ST2 HI FI trough the SPDIF instead of BNC, you just have to set it right in the configuration and tell your unit that she has to follow the master signal.
You can either clock on AES or SPDIF, the signal can carry a clock and a audio signal, that’s the difference between those formats and BNC. BNC only carry the synchronization signal.

Both Spdif and AES of DCS NB will send audio signal and clock signal to Trinnov at the same time. At this time, Trinnov can be set as Spdif to receive clock signal and AES to receive audio signal. DCS NB sends SPDIF and AES at the same time, will there be unnecessary interference between them? This is what worries me, thanks

Given that both the AES and S/PDIF outputs are carrying audio data (rather than one carrying audio data and one carrying a word clock) and both are identical then I don’t follow how using the AES as the audio data and having the Trinnov try to extract timing from the (identical) S/PDIF will give a different result to just extracting the same timing from the AES output - as neither are an actual wordclock. If they are able to pull a precise clock from the S/PDIF then they should also be able to pull it from the AES.

I could totally get behind using the AES or S/PDIF outputs for carrying audio and feeding a separate wordclock but I don’t get how that works using the S/PDIF audio data as a clock.

Ultimately as this is functionality that is particular to the Trinnov I would take their advice on how to get the best performance from their unit …

1 Like

Mainly because Trinnov does not provide an independent BNC word clock interface, so only AES or Spdif can receive or output clock signals. The interface in the figure below is Trinnov’s clock selection interface.

Phil, as I have a Trinnov at home, perhaps I can explain it;

As Nicholas mentioned, the ST2 HiFi consumer version he has has no dedicated Word clock input port. Instead, it can use any incoming AES/SPDIF to extract a clock signal from as the primary clock source for the unit, pretty much the same as Sync Mode = Audio on any dCS DAC.

However, unlike with dCS, on the Trinnov the corresponding incoming music bit-stream can be from a complete separate AES/SPDIF input.

To answer your question; the AES1/2 and SPDIF output ports on the dCS Network Bridge have completely separate output buffer circuits. Simultaneous use of both for separate functions will not impact the quality of ether.

Great, thank you very much for answering my question. After separating the clock signal and the music signal, there is indeed an improvement. I am still considering whether to change one of the interfaces of the Spdif cable to BNC, so that the pure clock signal can be output from the DAC to the Trinnov. . . But it’s not necessary, DCS can do it