About spdif output of DCS NB

Hi Anup,

Thanks for the clarification and yes, I see from what you and Nicholas have described that the Trinnov can derive a clock from an SPDIF input while taking the audio data from an AES input however there are two things that simply make me cautious on this one …

The first is that an S/PDIF bitstream doesn’t have a proper clock embedded in it (although yes, you can derive a clock from it as you would do when playing the bitstream itself but the whole point of having a separate wordclock is that deriving the clock from the S/PDIF bitstream isn’t an exact process whereas a global wordclock is a precise sync).

The main one for me though is that as the AES and S/PDIF outputs on the NBR are duplicates (just in a different physical format) and are not independently generated then any timing errors or timing drifts are going to be duplicated in both the AES and S/PDIF feeds and so unless the Trinnov itself has a performance edge from being fed two identical feeds rather than one it’s just making things overly complicated in setup for no gain … the audio S/PDIF feed that you’re locking the Trinnov to will have the exact same timings (and the same timing errors) as the one that you’re using for extracting the audio from and so there should be no difference as to which one you are using to derive your timing signal from. Do you follow me?

Obviously Nicholas is saying that it gives an improvement in performance from the Trinnov which is interesting … I haven’t spoken with Tom in quite a while but maybe I’ll give him a shout and see if he can lend me one to have a play with for a bit - they’re always fun! :slight_smile:

Phil

Hey Phil,Trinnov connected SPDIF showed AES 3 and 4 first, connected AES showed AES 1 and 2, I suspect, this SPDIF port is modified by AES, according to Trinnov technicians, when I connect SPDIF port , I can use the AES output without worrying about the impedance matching, so can I understand it as two sets of AES inputs, does this improve the SPdIf as a clock connection? Thank you

Hi Nicholas,

I’m really sorry but I don’t understand exactly what you are asking however I think these are questions for the guys at Trinnov to answer as we do not have an ST2 here…

I don’t “get” how they would be able to generate a better clock for their processor from a separate S/PDIF feed than they would from the identical AES feed when neither actually have any kind of clock signal embedded in them.

If Trinnov say that using the ST2 in that way improves performance then all I can suggest is that you compare the performance of the ST2 using an AES feed from the Network Bridge to an S/PDIF feed from the Network Bridge to an AES feed from the Network Bridge with the ST2 deriving the clock from the S/PDIF output … I honestly can’t see how this would be better given that both outputs are identical (in that they are generated using exactly the same input signal) but the proof of the pudding is in the eating or beauty is in the eye of the beholder (or whichever other similar saying) and if one configuration sounds better to you (which is the important thing) then go with that setup.

I’m really sorry that I am unable to answer your questions regarding use with the ST2 but neither the AES nor the S/PDIF outputs from the Network bridge contain a bitstream that can be used to generate an accurate clock so the questions that you are asking really are regarding the functionaity of the ST2 therefore the Trinnov guys would be better placed to give you the information as to how best to use it.

Best Regards

Phil Harris

Ok, anyway, thanks for your enthusiastic answer