Wilson Audio Alexia V Loudspeakers

I am aware a lot of dCS owners have Wilson speakers so I wanted to share this new video review. One really cool feature is we received production video clips of the review pair and inserted them into the video.

Enjoy!

5 Likes

I’ve listened to Wilson Audio Alexia Vs a couple of times at Definitive Audio in Bellevue WA and in Seattle. (I own Alexx Vs.) Quite impressive.

1 Like

It’s the Rossini Apex of loudspeakers! :wink:

1 Like

Has anyone compared these speakers to Sasha DAW?

I had Sasha DAWs for a year or so (before trading up to Alexx Vs). The Alexia Vs definitely sounded better, which is saying something because I very much liked the Sashas.

3 Likes

It’s a big step up and should be at almost twice the price.

1 Like

And I thought my speakers are ugly…

Everyone who has been over has remarked how beautiful they are.

3 Likes

The finish looks great

2 Likes

It’s funny Lee. Im a wilson owner as well, like 4 times over and my current front set takes up a bit more real estate than the subject speakers. In my mind a world class speaker designer replicates the most believable sonic image as they can on an armature and then designs a system to consistently deliver that sense of realism in a marketable yet repeatable package. At the apex if aesthetics negatively alter the sonic replication at all then the package is unsuccessful. Like a car the functional designer decides what he must have and an industrial designer decides what can be done to make it look its best without diminishing performance. I think The perfect speaker is invisible and creates totally believable sonic image. We’re still a long way from there. I think wilson does a lot to make it’s armature look palatable yet the paint job really doesn’t approach the finish on a super car. Not really. But i dont care. Possibly what someone might think is they would prefer a beautiful piece of furniture and take a lesser sonic image replication. I get that. I think ive seen the most sculptural speakers on the market. I can say i doubt any art aficionado would take any speaker system and put it in place of a henry moore sculpture as a piece of art with a straight face. So subjective appearance vs sonic replication. Thats personal choice.

1 Like

I think Vivid Audio’s designs work as sculptural art as well; others find them ugly as sin.

There’s something organic about them that reminds me of a lute or other musical instrument.

Others can’t get over the resemblance to Al Capp’s Shmoo.

Ultimately I don’t care what it looks like as long as it maximizes performance; others want something as minimal as possible.

However, the Alexia V in that Cranberry Pearl is just drool-worthy to me even if they didn’t sound as good as they do.

2 Likes

I agree that these speakers are aesthetically well designed and they please my eyes. I also have a strong preference for the look of focal and sonus faber and wouldnt part with my wilsons. If i wasn’t a stereo buff id likely use the floor space for something more original as far as art but as far as speakers go. Im with you. B

These Giya speakers sounded great in the GTT room at Axpona this past weekend.

2 Likes

I think they are pretty close to exotic car paint. I have been detailing cars for over four decades so I know paint pretty well. I have seen the factory paint booths on two factory tours. I believe the pearl paints have more than eight layers. There are multiple base coats. I believe they are competitive or more with luxury car pearl finishes.

1 Like

Yes. Luxury cars i agree. I havent studied the wilson finish nearly as closely as you and certainly not cars but i am intimately familiar with porsche ( luxury) and aston (exotic). On Alex v, xvx and alexandria good as or better than porsche in general…. Ill hold my opinion vs aston but i think you see where im going. I respect your opinion. B

1 Like

Yes, you are probably correct. It’s maybe not quite at the level of the best. I heard that Bentley takes 86 hours to do the paint.

1 Like

Yes. The finish on a 250k - 10mil car has a funny way to creep up there. But wilson does an exceptional job with their products. B

1 Like

Wilson gets to sit in an odd place with respect to their finishes; they use automotive paints as the exotic car companies do, but do not have to comply with the EU environmental laws that cause many exotic car manufacturers to have to take additional steps in their paint processes.

All I know is I’ve rarely seen paint done as well as on Wilsons, though Vivid does an excellent job as well.

1 Like

I think there is also a technical issue regarding the method of applying the finish. Car manufacturers use electrostatic spraying (Maserati does and I expect other manufacturers are similar). This requires the article being sprayed to be conductive which I doubt that the Wilson speaker carcase is.

BTW, as a non-Wilson user I have only seen the DAW but I was was really impressed with build and finish.

I wonder if the first coat helps in this respect as Wilson sprays on a marine grade gel coat.