What's Spinning October 2023

I enjoy these performances, and good recordings…

4 Likes

This is one of the great swing music albums:

Although I have a CD the sound is not great but OK considering its age ( 1955 release of the original ). However I found that Qobuz has a remastering @ 24/96. Now I sometimes tend to be sceptical about remasterings but this one really makes a big improvement over the original silver disc. Yes, hi-res Mono :grinning:

As some of you may know I had the pleasure of being at Ronnie Scott’s to hear Ed Richardson’s amazing 18 piece swing band play a transcription of the whole album a couple of weeks ago ( they tackled Atomic Basie earlier in the year). This was total channelling of the original with the Basie rhythm section sound ( Basie/Sonny Payne / Freddie Geen/Ed Jones) convincingly recreated. The sound balance was extraordinary, that signature rhythm section upfront but the astonishing power and the dynamics of the horns allowed full flow. Wow. A live sound that would be difficult if not impossible to reproduce at home.

5 Likes

Gah! If I had a brain I’d have been there too, Pete. Was about as close to London as I’ve been recently. Would have been a treat — glad you got to go. (It’s not just @Anupc at every gig going!)

Well jel, as I’m much too old to say :blush:

3 Likes

It sounds like it was a wonderful experience!

As @all2ofme says, I wish I’d been there too!

Alas, I was out of town…

1 Like

Never been to Ronnie Scott’s, but definitely one for the bucket list :grin:

1 Like

This album is one of my long standing favourites…

4 Likes

1 Like

When I was a child, casette tapes were the most popular medium. The first one I acquired in my life was The Police, Synchronicity. This morning, it comes full circle: I just burned and loaded the Japanese SACD to Roon : )

5 Likes

@Bauer: just downloaded all three from NativeDSD based on your recommendation : )

1 Like

Great! I hope that you enjoy listening to them :grinning:

1 Like

I’m a big fan of Dire Straits, so it’s hard to chose which album to listen to…
I decided on this one;

1 Like

I was underwhelmed by Blondie’s performance at Glastonbury this year, but I still like this album (released in 1978);

2 Likes

2 Likes

This is (probably) my favourite Genesis album, which I’ve listened to countless times, but never tire of…

3 Likes

It’s been so long since I listened to this, that I’d forgotten how much I like it…

In my opinion, this is a great live performance by Miles Davis et al, and an excellent recording too, superbly reproduced by HDTT.

2 Likes

3 Likes

RoonShareImage-638323749111811780

2 Likes

2 Likes