What's Spinning October 2023

This sounds stunning on my system!

2 Likes

I bought this album (on Bandcamp) solely for my favourite Danny Gatton track, ‘Harlem Nocturne’, although I do listen to the whole album…

3 Likes

love the clarity and dynamics of this Reference Recording (Keith Johnson)

5 Likes

@PAR 's great evening recently at Ronnie Scott’s reminds me of another gig that I wish I’d attended…

To me, it was a superb performance (by all), and excellently recorded.

4 Likes

Found this and a few other discs at a record store in Prague, great store in the middle of the old town upstairs by a tattoo parlour. If you’re ever there check them out: https://www.vinylworld.org/record-shop/cd-bazar-krakovska/

Not on any streaming service so it seems, some nice Czech modern Jazz.

3 Likes

2 Likes

Excellent RQ/SQ (DXD)

3 Likes

The only problem I have with Reference Recordings is I can’t find what format the original recording was made in.

For example, NativeDSD will tell you that the album was originally recorded in, let’s say, DSD128, and is available for download in DSD256, DSD64, 192/24, etc. In this case, I always purchase the original recording format (so as to not purchase an upsampled or down-sampled version to start).

I’d like to purchase this from RR, for example, but can’t find that information:

1 Like

I found the information below on RR website

“There are over 150 releases in the RR catalog recorded by Keith O. Johnson, our chief engineer and Technical Director. He is a true audio legend, having designed and patented many innovative products in the professional and consumer fields. The RR Sound comes from his singular methods and equipment, almost all hand-built or extensively modified by him. Microphone techniques range from purist to complex, depending on the musical forces and the performing space involved. Keith O. Johnson’s investigation of electronic behavior and acoustic perception led to his development (with digital engineer Michael Pflaumer) of the revolutionary High Definition Compatible Digital encoding process, produced and marketed by Pacific Microsonics (recently acquired by Microsoft). Reference Recordings released the first commercial CDs with the process. Currently all Keith Johnson masters are recorded at 176.4 kHz/24 bits, using Pacific Microsonics Model Two HDCD encoders. This brings a high level of accuracy and musicality to digital recordings, whether made into compact discs, SACDs, or released as high resolution digital files.”

4 Likes

I have few of their (RR) HRx digital files on a SSD drive, imo very good recordings.

INFO ON RR website

" In 2008, we created a new sound format, HRx DVD-R data discs containing exact, digit for digit copies of the original Reference Recordings 176.4 kHz/ 24 bit masters as WAV files. At the time, high resolution audio was not available to download off the internet at our standard of quality. The files on HRx discs could be copied to computers and played through various digital music servers, and there were specialty players which could play the discs directly. This invention won a Best of Show Award for “Greatest Technological Breakthrough: Reference Recordings’ HRx ultra-high resolution (176.4/24) digital music format.” from The Absolute Sound. HRx was monumental for its time. The format has been discontinued as of 2022. Most of our customers now prefer to download (or even stream) the same quality of audio from our website or other sites."

1 Like

This is great. Thank you very much @imprezap2!

IMO a good remix by Steven Wilson…

1 Like

I’ve listened to this album on a regular basis since it was first released…
in 1971 ! :grinning:

1 Like

The inimitable Sandy Denny, and company…

RoonShareImage-638327917989109730

3 Likes

Liege & Lief is just such an incredibly good album.

1 Like

I agree.
To me, it’s a definite ‘classic’…

On the subject of ‘classics’, here are some more albums that I consider fit the bill…

2 Likes

1 Like

1 Like