What's Spinning February 2024

Another month, so a new thread…

This is a favourite ‘double header’ of mine.

J.S. Bach: The Keyboard Concertos - 1
Angela Hewitt
Richard Tognetti, Australian Chamber Orchestra
Hyperion - June 2005
DSD 64

J.S. Bach: The Keyboard Concertos - 2
Angela Hewitt
Richard Tognetti, Australian Chamber Orchestra
Hyperion - 2005
DSD 64

6 Likes

Frequently return to this. ”Bach with attitude”.

Martha Argerich “Bach: Toccata BWV911 etc. (2018 Remaster)” (1980) Qobuz 24/96

Also, spent 6 hours in the car yesterday and when I wasn’t gabbing with Ben I was enjoying this. Got through Das Rheingold and most of Die Walküre:

Georg Solti, “Der Ring Das Niebelungen” (1966) Qobuz 24/44.1

IMG_0731

3 Likes

In 1983, I was visiting a friend in Frinton-on Sea (Essex). He suggested that we visit the local wine bar.

To our surprise, there was a band playing live. We really enjoyed their music.

Neither of us had ever heard of the artist…

called Sade.

The following year, this album was released…

Sade: Diamond Life
Epic - 16th July 1984
16/44.1

5 Likes

The Rolling Stones: Some Girls (Deluxe Version)
Republic/Universal Republic - 9th June 1978
24/88.2

2 Likes

Pat Metheny & Lyle Mays: As Falls Wichita, So Falls Wichita Falls
ECM - 1981
24/88.2

3 Likes

Bill Frisell: Valentine
Blue Note/Decca - 14th August 2020
24/88.2

Brad Mehldau Trio: Blues and Ballads
Nonesuch - 3rd June 2016
24/88.2

5 Likes

@Ermos
Decided to fire up the Time Machine to 50 years ago…

Qobuz link> Roxy & Elsewhere, Zappa and the Mothers Of Invention 1974.

Fans of percussion will enjoy this one.

5 Likes

We’ll remind you one of the golden rules to apply to Zappa more than to any other form of music: you have to have your mind open as much as your ears and let yourself get carried away!

And then this:

The Roxy Performances - 2018

by Frank Zappa

https://open.qobuz.com/album/l3e7ts5apv2fc

In forty-four years, this isn’t the first time that the recordings from December 8, 9 and 10, 1973 at the Roxy Theatre in Hollywood have been released one some form or another. First, there was the double album Roxy & Elsewhere in 1974, then Roxy by Proxy in 2014, Roxy the Soundtrack in 2015, and finally this The Roxy Performances which covers the entirety of the four concerts, as well as the filmed rehearsals from December 8 and 10, not forgetting a preparatory session of the Apostrophe (') album in Ike Turner’s Bolic Studios, on December 12th. Is it really useful to remind you that Roxy & Elsewhere is one of the finest in history, all genres included? Consequently, we were entitled to wonder if bringing back what was sidelined by Zappa himself was worth it. Aside from Zappa’s biggest fans, would the average person appreciate for what it’s worth five versions of Pygmy Twylyte, of which one lasts almost 25 minutes (split into two parts), or four variations of Penguin in Bondage or Uncle Meat? More than ever, we’ll remind you one of the golden rules to apply to Zappa more than to any other form of music: you have to have your mind open as much as your ears and let yourself get carried away.

You’ll surprise yourself by starting listening to this copious compilation of 84 tracks (Zappa’s monologues included)—that is to say almost eight hours—telling yourself that you’ll only do three or four extracts before moving on to something else, to finally discover that Zappa’s magic is such that you’ll have the greatest difficulty letting go of it. The master’s excellence and one of the best Mothers formations reach such heights that you’ll have difficulties finding any redundancies here. If we had to keep only one significant example, it would probably be Don’t You Ever Wash that Thing?, whose different versions wonderfully demonstrate the perfect blend of high skills and collectedness which keep the music from ever getting dull or monotonous. At most, you might switch off a bit during Be-bop Tango (Of the Old Jazzmen’s Church), where the interaction with the audience lasts a bit too long, even if the many musical gags are worth the detour. But you’ll be tempted more than once to take on more lessons with Professor Zappa, especially in the studio section, in which he leads his Mothers with as much firmness as dexterity. Finally, it wouldn’t be superfluous to insist on the exceptional sound take of these “performances”. Planned at first for a quadriphonic version, these recordings have been particularly polished, just like their transition to digital.

4 Likes

I stumbled across this last night and it was too good not to add to the list:

2 Likes

Good stuff! :grinning:

1 Like

Talking Heads: Remain in Light
Rhino - Warner Brothers 8th October 1980
24/96

2 Likes

Talk Talk: The Colour Of Spring
Parlophone - 1986
24/96

4 Likes

Had the very great pleasure to be introduced to this yesterday at Pete’s:

Philharmonia Orchestra, Santtu-Matias Rouvali “Tchaikovsky: Nutcracker Suite” (2023) Qobuz 24/192

IMG_0753

I won’t say I prefer it to my Rostropovich but it is a very good performance and an absolutely stellar recording. On Pete’s system I was very effectively teleported to the studio. Memorable.

3 Likes

Harry Belafonte: Calypso (1956)
Audio Fidelity - 2013 Hybrid SACD

2 Likes

Anouar Brahem Trio: Astrakan Cafe
ECM - 2000
16/44.1

2 Likes

Two albums that are really something,

First: Abdullah Ibrahim
Album: 3
Apart from the music, this album is top recorded! Direct recorded to tape machine that even Elvis used.

Second: Andre 3000
Album; New Blue Sun

This guy is a not known for this kind of music, he’s knowing for hip-hop and rap…and now this flute/ambient! Very cool imho…
Boths albums on Qobuz- have fun!

3 Likes

Beethoven: Violin Concerto
Bernstein: Serenade
Hilary Hahn
David Zinman, Baltimore Symphony Orchestra
Sony Classical - 26th January 1999
16/44.1

2 Likes

Alison Balsom: Sound the Trumpet, Royal Music of Purcell & Handel
Trevor Pinnock, The English Concert
EMI Classics - 1st October 2012