What’s Spinning November 2020

I’m a big fan of Carmen’s. STS Digital recorded a live album with her and put it out on a limited edition SACD (which used to be distributed along with Kharma speaker). An excellent album with incredible dynamics, one of my best SACD discs.

In fact, all the STS Digital SACDs are good, especially Lils Mackintosh, definitely worth getting your hands on if you can;

Very cool Anup. Now, time to fire up DuckDuckGo. And . . . I’ve got one of them, Carmen’s, on the way. Will be interesting to see how the recording techniques compare to her Sound Liaison albums

Greg, I suppose you are aware of this article?

Perhaps one of the best cover of « Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence » from Ryuichi SAKAMOTO (from the movie Furyo with David BOWIE). Great dynamic and interpretation.

I know that article well, but did not put the association together. I thoroughly enjoyed it there, and am pretty sure I posted it on my FB page. I am glad you posted the link here. I’ve been a Sound Liaison customer for several years, and I appreciated the amount of detail you went into on the recording techniques and the recording “space.” And I completely agree with your observations about the drum kit challenges. I really like what they did on Up Jumped The Devil.

1 Like

David Sylvian’s vocal version titled “Forbidden Colours” remains one of the most haunting tracks to this day. I have an autographed single (with “Bamboo Houses” on side B) :grinning:

4 Likes

Yes « forbidden colors « is a cover with voice which is terrific

This album?

1 Like

That’s a more recent collaboration album.

Sakamoto and Sylvian have collaborated a lot over the years. The single I meant is from 1983, released right after the movie (though my autographed version is a 3-inch CD-single from 1988 :grin:). This one, that features them both on the cover;

If you haven’t wiki’ed him, Ryuichi Sakamoto is one of those multi-talented living legends; he’s a composer, singer/song-writer, producer, and actor. Ironically, a lot like David Bowie, who Sakamoto himself acted with in the role of the POW camp Commander in the movie @Patatorz mentioned.

Over the years, he’s won an Oscar, a BAFTA, a couple of Grammies, Golden Globes, and dozens of others from various countries around the world including Japan of course where he’s revered. He’s truly one of the greats.

There’s been multiple documentaries about him, the most recent is a 2018 one titled “Ryuichi Sakamoto: Coda” filmed mostly in New York where he lives now. Worth watching if you have a couple of minutes to spare :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Oh, I definitely know Sakamoto. Thanks for that Coda link. I first became aware of him due to the soundtrack in Sheltering Sky. Because that album I posted is titled “1982-2012,” please take a listen to the Forbidden Colours track and let me know if you think it’s the same. I am unlikely to run across the single. :wink:

Not the same actually, it’s a distinctly different re-recording done a couple of years later, that while sounding better acoustically, doesn’t capture the same emotive power as the original recorded in’83 (at least to me :wink: ).

Here’s that original version, which unfortunately appears to only be on YouTube and not any of the streaming services (spoiler alert, contains scenes from the movie);

Fleabay never fails to surprise :grin:

3 Likes

Thanks a lot @Anupc for all these information about Sylvian and Sakamoto. Interesting to see that we can read Ryuichi or Riuichi :slight_smile:

1 Like

Indeed it does. On its way. Thank you!

1 Like

Yeah, though I’ve never seen it spelt with an “i” instead of the “y” except on that old single release (both Vinyl and CD). :grin:

Remastered by Gus Skinas for PS Audio’s third Octave Masters release.

@Anupc was right. This is a superb album. Excellent SQ/RQ.

1 Like

Greg, how does it compare to the Sound Liaison recordings?

The Sound Liaison team records in DXD, whereas STS Digital recorded in Analog and converted to DSD - You’ll get a kick out of reading the liner notes, if you haven’t already, specifically the AD/DA converters STS Digital used :wink:.

Yes indeed. I noticed the liner says recorded in 5-channel DSD. I believe Blue Coast also uses the Pyramix and Merging equipment. I think the SQ is excellent. The sense of nightclub is palpable.

1 Like