What’s Spinning March 2023

3 Likes

I took a listen to this—now three times—because Cordesman highlighted it in his review of the Legacy Valor. SQ and RQ are quite good, but I am not yet sold on the music. I like it more this third time around though.

IMG_1498

1 Like

I’ve had Bruce Dunlap’s CD for many years and yes, it did grow on me (a lot) with time. I like it a lot today

1 Like

Caroline Polacheck in her Ramona Lisa persona.

IMG_1500

1 Like

That fist line from Mirrorball is such a classic! I pull it on the wife occasionally when she’s about to throw a fit; “Don’t get emotional…” :rofl:

Qobuz 96/24 download. Good RQ/SQ, which sounds great on my system…

4 Likes

I think that this album still sounds superb, especially as it’s over 40 years old!

Perhaps AP excels most as a producer/engineer…
bearing in mind the various highly acclaimed albums he’s been involved with, such as The Beatles’ Abbey Road, Dark Side of the Moon, and artists Al Stewart, Cockney Rebel and more…

3 Likes

It does sound excellent.

One of my favorite albums

Dynamics are fantastic on this album, few of the songs I have in high res Hrx (reference recordings file), these are even better SQ

1 Like

Lily Kershaw - Arcadia
A1RQH64P9QL.AC_UY436_QL65

2 Likes

We’re on an Arcadia run! I like the review in Qobuz. Will check it out.

Light in the Attic has some new vinyl out in the Pacific Breeze series. Fortunately, Qobuz has a little bit of available. This takes me back, and it’s fun to revisit.

Briefly. Bur the artwork is nice. :wink:

IMG_1509

Qobuz FLAC 44.1kHz 24bit

8 track instrumental album by nu-ambient, neo-classical composer Pieter Nooten.

A label that has raised me musically has to be the British 4AD and especially the time when Ivo Watts-Russell was in charge. After his departure it has still remained a great label, but you can no longer rely on it blindly as you used to. One of the most remarkable bands in their heyday is the Dutch group Clan Of Xymox. They are still heroes, although the group, which was also called Xymox in the meantime and before, has changed composition. For example, keyboard player Pieter Nooten is no longer there after 1991, when the band released the album Phoenix under the Xymox flag. Michael Brook also played a guest role on that album, with whom Pieter Nooten had previously made the iconic album Sleeps With Fishes in 1987; also on 4AD. In the 1990s Nooten continues with the projects Cyberia, First Contact and Fingerprince. But from 2002 he makes a new start as a solo artist under his own name. And with verve, because damn what a lot of beautifully ambient-like melancholic albums roll out of his sleeve, which are also received positively internationally. Although, partly due to my many new review material, I don’t get much time to listen to music from the past, I do put his music on with some regularity. Especially in the more contemplative moments.

Due to my preference for the CD and the large selection, I have ignored the digital albums of the last few years, but Pieter Nooten is now back with his new CD Someone There, the sixth on his now trusted label Rocket Girl (there are two more albums before that). On previous albums he could sometimes count on guest appearances on classical instruments, but here he gets everything out of his electronic magic boxes. That this certainly does not mean a loss, becomes clear when you hear the intense music, which you can perhaps best describe as neoclassical, although it also contains elements of ambient, minimal music and film music. Nowadays you can rely on electronics for decent classical sounds, provided you can compose like Nooten can and does. In addition to the beautiful orchestrations and other moody sounds, he also shows samples or suggestions of almost sacred female vocals in his music, which gives many goosebumps moments. He has also immersed everything in a melancholy bath, but that is actually always the case with his music. At times he also brings really paralyzing splendor here. With his 8 new tracks of 48 minutes in total, he knows how to grip you tightly, only to let go after the very last second. I think fans of A Winged Victory For The Sullen, Phillip Glass, Deaf Center, Hammock, Marsen Jules, Bersarin Quartett and Arvo Pärt, among others, will enjoy this. Sensual, contemplative splendour!

Translated from: https://subjectivisten.nl/nnm-pieter-nooten-someone-there/

3 Likes

AP was one of the earliest to have his albums released in full 24/96 to the public, back around 1999, in what used to then be called Digital Audio Discs (DAD) - which predates the defunct DVD-Audio. It was actually 2-channel audio on a DVD-Video formatted disc. I still have some of those APP DADs, playable on my Oppo :grin:

2 Likes

The original SACD release is pretty good too!

1 Like

Yep, I’ve got all those formats. And they all sound pretty good.

1 Like

Interesting, thanks @Anupc

1 Like

Excellent RQ/SQ. I would have loved to be there…

4 Likes