What’s Spinning March 2021

I’ve been traveling and so listening over AirPods or Bluetooth in the car rental, which is just not quite the same thing as the home system. I am looking forward to getting home, through quarantine and testing to listen to something that sounds like the real thing.

5 Likes

The Cinder Grove delves further into the compositional possibilities of the pedal steel guitar. This halcyon collection of tracks draws on a wider pallette of sounds, adding strings and piano, to dive deeper into the sound bath of Johnson’s meditative music.

FLAC 44.1kHz 16bit

Music and SQ are great!

The movie is compelling. The music is magic. Highly recommended. AIFF 96/24.

3 Likes

1 Like

The latest from PS Audio’s Octave Records. Very nice. DSD 64.

1 Like

SQ and dynamic range are off the charts, but so far, I am not at all sure I can make this my cup of tea. A bit too reminiscent of the sound of unfamiliar feeds in 6th grade orchestra. But I’m going to keep listening. NativeDSD 256.

Quite pleasing. Tidal 44/16

Originally, a three albums set of instrumental music and 12 original images by Daniel Lanois (2009). Each album comes with 4 related images.

“The vault of my instrumental works has been opened. This fascinating body of work is now available as a trilogy. This three album set will surely add another dimension to one’s sonic pallet.” -Daniel

STEEL

A collection of steel guitar recordings spanning many years and geographical arrangements, but with an intact melodic theme running throughout.

PURPLE VISTA

A mysterious collection of midnight recordings. A mixture of hand played and laboratory sonics.

SANTIAGO

Recorded in two days, live off the floor, these tracks were used as the score for a “Pixies” documentary.

Tidal, FLAC 44.1kHz 16bit

1 Like

Back to childhood. AIFF 44/16.

If these threads were of the things we listened to every month, this would be one of the things that I’d post:

It’s a beautifully varied album. Gets better every time I listen to it.

(24/96 on Qobuz, but I wouldn’t call it out for any SQ awards.)

Unlike you’ve ever heard Radiohead

Try ‘Weird Fishes’ - love the brass and drums

TIDAL PCM 16/44.1

2 Likes

Will have to check that out.

Another regular listen that I don’t think I’ve posted before:

“Singing Saw” in particular is just magical. It’s all over the place, in the most lovely ways.

3 Likes

From NativeDSD. Downloaded in DXD, given the provenance. I have always loved her voice.

3 Likes

José James: New York 2020 is the first highly anticipated live album from an artist with a decade long career built on his electric live show. Despite an entire year without shows, James found a way to create & connect with audiences during the peak of Coronavirus NY lockdown. José James is known for assembling some of the best live bands in the world, & his “New York 2020” crew is no exception. Each song resonates with the creative urgency of an effervescent, resilient 2020 New York City.

Recorded live at Levon Helm Studios on August 13th, 2020 by Pete Hanlon
Recorded live at Le Poisson Rouge, NYC on October 3rd, 2020 by Jay Eigenmann
Mixed by Brian Bender at The Motherbrain West, LA
Mastered by Frank Arkwright at Abbey Road Studios

International jazz star José James and Grammy nominated singer-songwriter Taali recently relocated to Amsterdam to teach as artist-in-residence and new faculty members at the Amsterdam Conservatory, Jazz Department.

Composer/vocalist José James (US) is often referred to as a jazz singer for the hip-hop generation; he combines jazz, soul, drum’n’bass, and spoken word into his own unique brand of vocal jazz.

Tidal, FLAC 44.1kHz 16bit

1 Like

Will definitely have to check him out.
UPDATE: Quite enjoyable. Thanks Erno.

1 Like

Modest dynamic range, but suited to the music’s intimacy. Lovely recording and SQ. NativeDSD DSD64.

2 Likes

I spent my last couple of hours of critical listening with the SRS Perf10 Reference Clock with this superb album. Listened through four times, made notes, etc. I have since swapped in the Novus Kronos1 and will let it stabilize for 36-48 hours before listening critically and comparing notes.

AIFF 44/16.

1 Like