What’s Spinning April 2021

Good ol’ ripped Redbook.

That must have been some gig! Living in the UK the chances to see The ABB were limited, so sadly never saw them with Duane but did see them play Knebworth in 1974 on an incredible bill that included Van Morrison, The Doobie Brothers, The Mahavishnu Orchestra (with John McLaughlin and a Jean Luc-Ponty), The Sensational Alex Harvey Band and Tim Buckley.
I’d trade all that to have seen them with Duane in Macon though! Compliments on having just great taste in music at a young age!

2 Likes

Qobuz 24/96

2 Likes

Tidal FLAC 48kHz 24bit, MQA 48kHz

Just published:

2 Likes

Thanks Erno. Man have we got the obsessive navel-gazing nailed in this hobby. :wink: Somebody is getting paid by the word over there. This is more than merely a “best version of.” It’s a history of the Steely Dan world. Anyway, for the TL;DR crowd:

The analog tape-sourced CD of The Nightfly is extremely hard to find. They can be spotted by checking out the CD’s matrix number. If it ends in “021 02,” it was made from the analog tape.

The second version of The Nightfly is the former’s digital counterpart. Both this and the tape-sourced CDs contain Bob Ludwig’s original mastering of The Nightfly. The first run of digital-sourced Nightfly CDs ended in “021 03.” But all Nightfly CDs released between 1984 and 2001 not ending in “021 02” share the same mastering — including the mid-to-late-’80s Japanese “target“ and gold CDs. This mastering is also contained on The Nightfly CD that’s part of the Nightfly Trilogy, a 4 CD and 3 DVD box set which contains the thematically linked albums The Nightfly, Kamakiriad, and Morph The Cat in Redbook stereo (on the CDs) and hi-res stereo and surround (on the DVDs), as well as a bevy of bonus tracks and videos. Finally, the original mastering also appears on the CD version (but not the 24/48 downloadable and streaming versions) of the 2017 Cheap Xmas: Donald Fagen Complete box set.

1 Like

@PaleRider I had to go down the archive, to find my CD copy of The Nightfly. The CD’s matrix number indicates it is not a analog tape-sourced CD.

However, the Tidal MQA version sounds great.

1 Like

I love this album. I have the 24/48 Qobuz download.

1 Like

The YELL4O YEARS retrospective is originally released as a limited and numbered 4CD earbook. The 60-page, lavishly and lovingly designed book contains exclusive and brand-new liner notes for every YELLO album released, including numerous rare and in some cases never-before-seen photos and visual insights into the illustrious career of the Swiss electronic pioneers.

The first two CDs form a classic Best Of with 41 songs, which of course includes hits and evergreens like “Oh Yeah”, “Bostich”, “The Race (live)” and “Vicious Games” as well as eternal fan favorites à la “I Love You”, “Goldrush” or “Rubberbandman”. On CD 3, the more melodic, more cinematic side of YELLO is reviewed - MELLO YELLO, so to speak. “The Rhythm Divine (feat. Shirley Bassey)” and “Desire” are included side by side with more unknown gems (“Solar Driftwood”, “Capri Calling” or “Otto di Catania”). For the fourth CD, YELLO’s favourite remixes from 40 years of the band’s history have been compiled and accompanied by previously unreleased remixes, such as Mark Reeder’s (Factory Records) “Wet & Hard Mix” of “Vicious Games”.

Tidal FLAC 24bit 48kHz, MQA 48kHz

Tidal FLAC 24bit 44.1kHz, MQA 44.1kHz

DSD 128 (NativeDSD}

Yeah, I’ve got two, and this article briefly gave me the heebie-jeebies. The one I listen to more is the DSD rip of the Japanese hybrid multi-channel SACD available from Acoustic Sounds. The 2.0 layer is quite nice, and I prefer the DSD to the Redbook on this disc. And it’s fun in 5.1 as well. But I also have the 03 West German Polydor, which is, as the article states, quite nice.

HD Tracks 44/24. Some interesting interpretations of their stalwarts. I am enjoying the recording of this one, more than some of their other live stuff.
RoonShareImage-637553749585876390

2 Likes

I have this one too in the archive. A Donald Fagen night fly is coming up, to compare :grinning:

1 Like

1 Like

My first CD !

1 Like

1 Like

@AMdeC @octaviars Thanks guys! Please note we have moved over for May to

Cough. May. Cough.