What’s Spinning April 2021

April already here. While looking forward to dCS announcements, now looking back:

A long time favourite of mine, still simply fantastic. Transcendent beauty.

A recent review: https://guitar.com/review/the-genius-of-heaven-or-las-vegas-by-cocteau-twins/

Tidal FLAC 44.1kHz 16bit

5 Likes

Couldn’t agree more, just a brilliant album. It’s on Qobuz in 24/96 by the way!! :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks Anup, I now consider a double subscription, to both Tidal and Qobuz :partying_face:

1 Like

I just did take a Studio Premier Qobuz trial, and listened to its offered 24/96 version. It sounds considerably less dynamic than the lower rated 44.1/16 Tidal version. Through Roon. I had to put in +20dB to match sound level.

There’s one version on Tidal in 44/16 labeled “Remastered… released in 1990”. There are two versions on Qobuz, a 44/16 Remastered from 2004, and a 96/24 version released in 2014. The two 44/16 versions are in fact identical.

Here’s the kicker though, the Qobuz 96/24 release is considerably more dynamic than the 44/16 versions, you might be confusing loudness with dynamics :laughing:

Let me show you objectively (via Adobe Audition). Images: Tidal 44/16, Qobuz 44/16, and Qobuz 96/24 respectively.

2 Likes

I’d be up for devoting April entirely to that album. Fantastic tunes.

Will put it on now. And change it in May :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is a favourite of mine too…

1 Like

afbeelding
And my really “The Best” of Van the Man

1 Like

Qobuz 24/96

2 Likes

Do you check my library? This is the only one I like from Boz.

Indeed I confused them, English is not my native language. Thanks for clearing that up.

1 Like

Ha, that’s spooky! :blush:

Qobuz FLAC 192kHz 24bit

Qobuz, UMe and Zappa Records to Offer Iconic Frank Zappa Albums in Hi-Res for the First Time

2 Likes

The 96/24 is much lower in volume than the 44/16 on that album, I have both version i nQobuz and this might be one of the biggest changes in volume I have heard on “the same” album between different masterings.

1 Like

Much of that 96/24 “Heaven or Las Vegas” track is mastered with peaks at about -6dBFS, with just a few peaks reaching as high as -3dBFS, leaving I believe plenty of headroom for upsampling D-to-A conversion without risk of Intersample overs.

By the way, the 96/24 version has a measured dynamic range of 127dB while that highly compressed/loudened 44/16 version is 59dB :wink:

As a general observation with digital recording where the maximum attainable level is fixed at 0.0dBfs, the wider the dynamic range the lower the mean volume level must be, ceteris paribus.

2 Likes

First Aid Kit - Live Tribute to Leonard Cohen. "Who By Fire "

First day of the month, and we already have 18 posts. I love seeing this much conversation.

1 Like

Qobuz 24/96