Welcome Mosaic 1.1.1

Greg, I am 14.3. I just checked and there is no 14.4 available to me. I don’t know if Apple issue updates in tranches rather than the whole world in one hit ?

I’m a beta tester. I suspect the .3 or .4 differential is not the answer, but I have no easy way to find out. I’ll see if I can borrow my wife’s iPhone or iPad.

Pete, I’m on iOS 14.3 same as you, but like Greg, I don’t have a problem accessing my Vivaldi, asleep or awake.

I’m wondering if the issue you’re seeing has to do with iOS’ Private WiFi addresses feature - your Ethernet switch’s ARP cache may have gone wonky for whatever reason.

Suggestion:
Hard reboot your Ethernet switch that front-ends the Vivaldi, and see if that solves the issue.

If not, then turn-Off “Private Address” and see if that resolves it. (Apple’s “Private Address” feature where the iPhone uses a virtual MAC address is really only useful when you’re on Public WiFi networks, less so when its your own home, so you’re not really compromising your privacy/security :slightly_smiling_face:).

3 Likes

Good points. I had forgotten about Private Address, but FWIW, mine is turned on.

Thanks . I will give it all a try tomorrow ( now 01:00 in the UK).

I tried hard rebooting the switch but no result.

I cannot find any way of turning off “Private Address”. I have been through just about every Settings menu on my i-pad and cannot find this option. It is also not mentioned in the User Guide. Could you tell me where it is located?

So, the current situation is that the Android version of v.1.1.1 connects more or less immediately it is opened. The iOS version will only search and not connect. However if I open Mosaic with the Android version , leave it connected, then open the iOS version it immediately displays what the Android version has selected and thereon all commands work as normal. So that suggests to me it it may not be a network problem.

I would add that an extended ( in time) search for connection via the iOS version dates from the installation of v.1.1.1. when it was taking up to a minute to connect. This has since become no connection at all. However updating to iOS v.14.3 occurred at around the same time as v.1.1.1 so it is difficult to separate the two from memory.

Pete, from iOS Settings—> WiFi—> the blue “(i)” info on the right of your currently selected Access Point, you should then see the “Private Address” setting on the resulting page. Give it a try.

What Access point are you using by the way that your iOS device connects to?

2 Likes

Anup, thank you so much. Having switched off " Private Address" my i-pad is now connecting to VUPS immediately. So it looks as if my problem has been solved.

My i-Pad connects to my Fritz!box 3490 router.

2 Likes

That’s great to hear. “Ease of a toaster” (Steve Jobs’ famous standard for ease of use that guided part of the development evolution between the Lisa and the Mac) remains an elusive goal.

Pete, glad to hear it!

That said, it suggests there’s likely a bug with your Fritz!Box. Do you activate any filtering or security on it? In any case, if everything else works fine, then don’t touch I suppose :wink:

No, no security other than its password. No problems other than this issue with the i-pad and private address. The router is now three years old and other than this has behaved faultlessly. So, yes, don’t fix what isn’t broken seems the right strategy.

New Bartok owner - 2 weeks and counting. Upgraded to 1.1.1 immediately and experienced 3 hangs / freezing of dCS display in various situations over last couple days. One symptom is unit total unresponsive (need to power cycle), one is where screen shows 2 titles ago and frozen and no button response but music still playing and accessible on dCS Mosaic. Third symptom is dCS Mosaic unresponsive. Mostly concerned about the former two - is this common? Any tips to root cause analyse / rectify this? Thanks!

Welcome Andre. The problems that you are experiencing are not common. When you upgraded did you first turn off the Bartok and wait a few minutes before rebooting and then perform the update? Would you kindly confirm which software version is displayed in Mosaic for the Bartok and which software version does it show for the Mosaic app?

1 Like

Thanks Pete. Well, I upgraded the firmware as the first step after unboxing the unit and powering it on. So I suppose that qualifies as “turned off” before the upgrade?
App version 1.1.1 (109)
Front panel version 1.10
Control board version 1.10
Network board version 1.1.1 (504)
Similar to the photo at the top of this thread. Thanks again.

Thanks Andre. If you took it out of the box , then switched it on checked Mosaic and selected the update then it would have been running v.1.1.0 at that point. Most ( if fact nearly all) of the problems encountered with v1.1.1 updates have been caused by the switch off and wait before requesting the update sequence of events. Your sequence is unusual doing the it straight out of the box .

So I am speculating that you have either a corrupt installation of either v.1.1.1 on the DAC or the app or both. The app is easy to rectify simply by downloading a fresh copy from App Store or Google Play Store depending on your platform. If this does not fix the issue ( after a hard reboot of the DAC) you may need to reinstall v.1.1.1 on the DAC. Please see the later postings in this thread on how to do it:

The other information that could assist in tracing the cause of the problem is the programme source . Is it happening with UPnP files, streaming services or everything? What UPnP server software are you running?

EDIT: Since writing the above I have been looking into the effect of using a factory reset. Unfortunately that will not return the software version currently installed to that installed at the factory. It just returns the configuration settings to factory default.

Hopefully James of dCS will pick up on this and be able to advise further.

1 Like

Thanks much Pete for your reply, and the edit. Yes, once you upgraded the firmware, a factory reset doesn’t reverse that. I’ve now (1) re-installed the iOS Mosaic app, (2) done a Bartok factory reset (twice actually) and will now monitor if the issue comes back or not. It happened previously with basic streaming of Tidal (network source).

I hope the Mosaic app could add a function to shuffle the tracks in the entire library.

1 Like

I have been experimenting with Expanse on my Bartok HDAC. Here is another great reference track for showing how great Expanse is. Expanse 1 sounds much better for headphone listening.

1 Like

Just got my dCS remote and mute isn’t working - tried quick and slow presses of the mute button on the remote and nada, nothing, though I can hear a clicking on the Bartok unit.

Tbh the mute button on the Bartok itself is hit and miss anyway, but the whole point of getting the remote was to be able to control volume AND mute from the sofa.

There’s little point in having a remote and still getting up!

@James Still watching this space :wink:

1 Like