Welcome dCS Lina

:thinking: Erno, isn’t this easily achieved with the Rossini’s RCA outputs going to the Lina Amp, while the Rossini’s XLR output goes to the 2-channel Amp? So, the switch between headphone listening versus 2-channel stereo listening is simple via which Amp is turned on or off.

Yes, you could do this, but the RCA out is of less signal quality than the XLR. Degrading the line signal into an expensive headamp is not a viable option to me.

1 Like

Be interesting to see if it has the latest version of the RingDAC software that is coming to Bartok at the end of the month…

and will it come in Silver :slight_smile:

1 Like

The Lina range seems to be primarily aimed at headphone users. But if we put the headphone amp aside for a moment isn’t the Lina Network DAC effectively a cut-down Bartok? Probably not APEX, but probably will have the same 2.0 software as the Bartok. So we now have a lower cost dCS DAC that slots in bellow the Bartok. That seems more significant to me than a headphone specific use case.

The Lina clock makes this even more interesting. In terms of sound quality, presumably the Bartok will be better than the Lina DAC. But if you then add the clock to the Lina DAC, would that be better than the Bartok? The pricing is starting to look similar. Of course, you could also add a Lina clock to the Bartok too…

I think I’d want to do some very careful auditioning of the various Lina options against the Bartok before any buying decision. But given the apparent direct selling approach for the Lina, isn’t this going to be somewhat difficult?

1 Like

Yes different distribution channel strategy for LINA, even Woo Audio (arguably a straight on competitor in the headfi space) resells LINA.

Another vlog here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBdqdc4YL_g

The initial Lina software release (as documented in the User Guide) does not have a configurable Mapper - which is the main feature of the 2.0 release.

So, either Lina comes with the new Mapper 1 by default, or we’ll need to wait to see a Lina 2.0 [firmware update] before we get the Mapper configurability.

2 Likes

dCS mention a selected dealer network, with some of them a brick and mortar presence. They are the place for a demo. There is one in my country, but it would be helpful if dCS would publish a list of them.

Maybe it’s simply that 2.0 is not formally released yet? It would seem odd that it could not run 2.0. If it can’t, it would make comparison with the Bartok even more confusing and complicated. Call me old fashioned, but detailed audition is surely mandatory.

I can only speak for myself, but I’m guessing that most of us have good, mutually beneficial and long term relationships with our dealers. But then again I’m sure dCS must have done their homework and perhaps the high-end headphone market is indeed a different universe with a whole different customer base?

1 Like

Sorry, I’m not sure what you’re suggesting. :thinking:

“2.0” has been released for the Vivaldi, and Rossini years ago, and at the end of this month on Bartok. Lina does not currently have choice of Mapper, that suggest that the best Mapper (Mapper 1) is already on Lina, or that we might see a future 2.0 release where Lina would support the Mapper choice.

I never suggested that Lina “could not run 2.0”, nor suggested not doing any detailed audition! I’m not sure where you got that impression from.

The direct sales model is simply more with the times and yes I think in headfi it’s more common. There’s very little headfi gear to demo or purchase locally.

But I do have a strong local dCS dealer and I would expect to be able to demo the Lina system there before purchasing. I can’t imagine putting $30k on my credit card online either.

1 Like

I’m not suggesting anything at all, I simply meant that 2.0 is not yet released for the Bartok DAC to which the Lina DAC can be most directly compared. When the Bartok is upgraded at the end of the month, it would seem odd if the Lina isn’t. My other comments are meant in general terms, not relating to anything said. Sorry if that was unclear.

dCS have a new policy of catering only to the head-fi channels with their head-fi products, i.e. the Bartók HDAC, and now the Lina series.

My trusted two-channel dealer told me they are able to order those head-fi products, and deliver to me, but they won’t hold stock, also no demo stock.

Note that as with APEX, the name LINA is in CAPS (at least on its lighted facia, less so in the documentation). And probably even less meaningful than the aforementioned DAC update name. Bizarre.

Just by reading this stream of comments, in this forum, it makes one wonder about the marketing/channels “evolution” taking place at dCS. A bit disjoint/confused. On the other hand, I’d be surprised if Steven and company didn’t take a long and hard look at the marketplace before sticking more than their toe (prior Bartok model bifurcated channel split) in new waters.

Not being a headphone user, I wonder how a long term head-fi user will assess LINA. On a scale of a no-brainer to huh purchase, that is.

The 2.0 Mappers are currently available in Rossini DAC, Rossini Player, Vivaldi One and Vivaldi DAC as well as the APEX models of these products. On May 31st 2022 we will release a software update for Bartók DAC and Bartók Headphone DAC to enable the 2.0 Mappers in these products too.

Lina DAC is a different hardware architecture than two channel dCS products. This is in part because of the chassis size and the single flex board design. The Lina DAC will run the standard (classic) Mapper, which is the same as Mapper 2 on Bartók, Rossini and Vivaldi ranges. Currently the APEX Ring DAC is available in Vivaldi and Rossini only.

6 Likes

Creating dCS Lina

In our latest video exploring Lina, we hear from the engineers, designers, and managing director David Steven, who together explore the creative journey and design objectives for Lina. It’s a candid look at the challenges and triumphs we experienced along the way to creating the most technically advanced head-fi products available today.

7 Likes

With the talk about how you sell your headfi gear through a different channel method because the headfi space “works dirrerently”, I think you should also reconsider these marketing videos. Headfi is not sold on “feelgood/appeal to emotion” that doesn’t say anything concrete messaging. Headfi is much more about “tell me how it works in depth, what the detailed specs are”, etc. Sorry to say, but this video was not helpful at all.

(FWIW, I’m a Bartok HDAC owner, though I have largely moved away from the internal headphone amp to having it feed a RAAL HSA-1b/SR1a setup since I originally purchased it.)

Steve, I suspect that may be dependent on where the committed user already is in the ceaseless “end game” pursuit that seems even more rabid in headfi than the speaker segment. I am definitely a long-term headfi customer. I am intrigued by LINA, and I applaud the dCS commitment to the headfi segment. But I am probably not in the market for it. I might be interested in demoing the amp to see how it compares with what I already have, primarily out of curiosity. I think that those customers for whom the LINA price point is a step up from where they are now are the likely target. Those already more heavily invested, and those for whom electrostats are a compelling listening proposition (I fall into both camps), may not find it as compelling.

3 Likes

I think that’s an oversimplification. Sure, I care about performance, and the ability of an amp to drive a transducer, but I also care about the manufacturer’s commitment to a segment (headfi in this case) and fostering an emotional relationship with the equipment and the music. Seems to me the video did just that. If this didn’t speak to you, so be it. But I doubt it will be the last dCS marketing word on LINA.

4 Likes