Vivaldi song truncation

Thanks for the clarification Anup. Makes perfect sense.

Maybe it’s not what’s happening? I’d assumed it was because I can hear the clicking of the relays. Does DSD64 use Dual AES as well? If so, what’s causing the truncation each time one swaps to a DSD64 track?

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

The answer depends on the format of DSD 64. If using dCS proprietary encryption for DSD ( e.g. playing a CD from a dCS transport) then DSD 64 requires dual AES ( it’s a legacy thing). If DSD 64 is via DoP then the input can be accepted by a single AES connection. DSD 128 requires DoP and dual AES.

It seems that if DSD is neither encrypted ( 64) nor DoP encoded ( 64, 128) it is not supported.

Well David, in a Vivaldi stack (Upsampler-DAC-Clock) thats been setup according to the dCS manuals with Dual-AES interfaces configured, and the Upsampler set to upsample all incoming sources to either DXD or DSDx2… You should not be experiencing any track truncation regardless of [streamed] source or rates; Roon or MinimServer, PCM or DSD (WAV, FLAC, DSD64/DSD128).

If your setup is somehow different from that, and you’re experiencing track truncations, then thats a slightly different question that’ll require some digging into :grin:

Anup even if dual AES is connected and selected, both inputs are only engaged with incoming data 24/96 PCM or DSD64 ( via DoP) or above. So the Vivaldi DAC display will only show AES 1+2 or 3+4 ( depending on the pair selected) when those high resolution rates are played. For lower rates it will display AES1 or 3 only which I take to mean that only those inputs are active. So David seems to be right, it is automatically “flipping” from single to dual AES and back when processing a mixed diet of data.

Of course not, except this doesn’t make sense - upsampling DSD64 to DXD or DSD128 patently sounds worse than native (upsampling PCM to DXD or DSD128 is a different matter). I’m using Mosaic with “DSD Pass Through” engaged in the Upsampler settings for exactly this purpose.

That’s my impression: depending on whether the Upsampler is upsampling (e.g. PCM to DSD128) or playing back native DSD, it appears to be flipping back and forth. Again, I may be wrong, but it does seem to me this is what’s causing the truncation: that the DAC mutes its output while it’s alternating between Dual and single AES.

Pete, that would be true only for Clone mode.

@acousticsguru David, not so. In my setup for example, I’ve got the Upsampler configured to upsample to DXD, but with DSD Passthrough ON.

When I stream any PCM rates, they get upsampled to DXD. When I stream DSD64 or DSD128, they passthrough as is. But under all circumstances, the Upsampler to DAC always remains at AES3+4.

I just verified this (to check that I’m not imagining things :laughing:), see for yourselves;

1 Like

Glad you posted that. My settings are same, and I have never seen the DAC switch off of 3+4.

You guys are right! Same settings I use with the exception of the DSD filter choice in the DAC (with Spectral amplification, DSD Filter 5 sounds best), and it’s showing Dual AES for DSD64 playback, same as on Anupc’s pics (meaning I have no clue what’s causing the truncation - which, it seems, I’m not the only one to have noticed). So, using Mosaic, you do not get relays clicking when you play back a DSD file, nor truncation at the start (of files where the music starts immediately, of course, the truncation last barely a second or so)?

I can stream a PCM track and immediately follow-up with a DSD track; in between there is a slight audible switching that goes on (especially audible on my Bartok with headphones), but there’s no truncation of the DSD track’s beginning. :slightly_smiling_face:

Have you tried this with tracks where the music starts immediately, such as a track from a classical composition (not the first movement, obviously) that needs gapless playback when played back complete? To give one example of a favorite track, Horowitz’s Historic Return to Carnegie Hall Track 2 (the slow movement from the Bach/Busoni) in its unedited DSD transfer - impossible to play that back without adding a Ghost Track, as the truncation will make it sound like a false start.

I’m back after some time away from home, which is a good thing.

Similar to David, I hear switching sounds as the upsampler adjusts to a DSD track. I switched my clock cables around d and followed precisely the diagram in the manual and still have this issue.

In am using AES 3 and 4 for the upsampler to DAC connection.

I have DAC buffer set to on.

This is not a huge deal for me, other than 1 song. The acoustic version of Candles in the Wind from the Goodbye Yellow Brick Road SACD. No matter what I play preceding it, the stack clicks away, and the song picks up on the second downbeat of an acoustic guitar. It is kinda jarring.

I’ll keep thinking about this, I have a major system tear down and rebuild in the future to accommodate an Everest and move some components around on the rack, so I’ll get another chance to triple check all the connections.

I can’t imagine you’ll put the Everest on the top shelf, David…it’s…errr…rather a rack-unfriendly thang. :smiley:

Supposed to be lovely kit, though!

Unfortunately I don’t have that particular disc/DSD track to test on my system.

The stream board on the Vivaldi Upsampler does a pretty good job of handling track changes seamlessly, albeit, I rarely mix formats between tracks (not into playlists), but thus far I don’t recall ever encountering a problem with the start of a fresh DSD streams. :thinking:

I do have that track, and if I can get a chance today, I will see if I can replicate the problem using Plex.

Thanks, electrician is running the new pair of dedicated 20 amp circuits now, will be back up and running/listening later tonite and will double check all my settings then.

Well, I did a couple of mock-ups just to get a sense of scale. It was suggested I need to buy two Everest’s to maintain symmetry, but even I have my limits…

1 Like

Audio dealers/makers and their crack runner fans. There’s always a way to dig into the wallet deeper. :wink:

I’ve got an electrician here today, too. But not for my audio, thank goodness.

In the end I “settled” for one Everest…

I understand now that the truncation of the first second or so of DSD tracks is a known problem at DCS and a fix is in the works. It apparently does not affect all DSD recordings, is not going to be easy to resolve, and there is a workaround to use a USB to play these tracks (not worth my effort at this point).

I’ll be patient.