SR fuses replacement

hello everyone, how many fuses does the Bartok have? and where are they located?

The BartĆ³k uses One, 1 Amp. T, 20mm. I use an Audio Magic Ultimate to good effect. I have a SR Purple to try at some point.

2 Likes

Synergistic Research Orange audio Quantum Fuse 5x20mm Slo-blow 1.6A 250V , is this ok ?

I think it needs to be 1A for the Bartok. I will buy one soon and report back.

The rule of thumb is never more amperage rating but less is ok in a pinch.

1 Like

https://www.futureshop.co.uk/synergistic-research-orange-high-end-slow-blow-fuse , 5/20 mm anrd 1 A .

I would go with the Purple if you can get it at a good price. I run these in three devices and I love them. I know of a well known distributor of tube gear who frowned on on fuse upgrades until he heard these.

I was surprised with the difference the SR Orange fuses made, but agree the SR Purple are a little better.

You shouldnā€™t go up a rating as you may find it invalidates your household insurance should there be a fire caused by any misrated unit. Some people recommend this approach as SRā€™s are known to have a smallish number of failures shortly after being installed (in my case, somewhere around 10% have failed), but uprating them isnā€™t to be recommended.

Remember the SR will happily replace them if such a failure occurs, just ask them. Once theyā€™ve been running for a bit, Iā€™ve not had any failures.

PS One final comment - for the reason above, Iā€™d only source them locally. I bought one that failed from the US and the retailer wanted me to pay shipping both ways to be sent a replacement, which worked out more expensive than the fuse! SR helped me out, so credit to them.

1 Like

The SR Orange fuses are known to be problematic with in-rush current on Amplifiers. I had a few replaced by the dealer that I use. They blew after a few weeks. Source components do not have the same demands on in-rush usually.

Orange is good but Purple is better. I changed oranges to purple and very happy with the result. Only one downside long burn-in time, around 300 hours. If you have cable cooker use it with fuse holder adapter and save weeks.

Where would you recommend replacing the fuse in a full Vivaldi stack? Would the dac be sufficient?

I dac divrebbero richiedere una minore corrente di spunto ?

Amplifiers are usually the only devices that have inrush demands. Large capacitors and large windings on transformers have their demands. I would try replacing all of the fuses starting with the DAC. It can get expensive. I have 14 fuses of which all are upgraded.

2 Likes

Grazie ,volevo provare un SR Purple sul Barrtok ma non vorreii si bruciasse,cin quello che costa !

I have just swapped in a purple into my bartok HE this evening and am thinkingā€¦300hrs! Thatā€™ll take ages; Iā€™d better get listening.

First impressions it sounds maybe a little cleaner than before but the main thing is its certainly not worse.

What sound improvements have you guys experienced after your 300hrs? Can you pinpoint what areas improve? Soundstage? Seperation? Tighter Bass? Extended treble?

Its too early to tell for me.

1 Like

keep us updated please!

1 Like

Doing some A/B testing it appears to add a little of unwanted brightness to my ears. Of course this may just be related to the additional clarity that it appears to produce.

Of course its only about 80hrs in but this is why i asked you guys what sound improvement you hear specifically?

Did you try to change the direction of the fuse ?

I put it in the direction as indicated above by ā€œruudvdeā€ in Sept 2021. It looks like it will be fine in either direction though. Is it worth swapping around do you think?

The 300hrs Burn in must not just be while playing music right? Surely electricity is passing through it whenever the device is on since the fuse is not in the audio path but rather the AC Circuit?

I suppose I could liken it to the OG Focal Utopia where the extra detail comes at the expense of brightness.

It adds more detail but for me this started to sound a little bright and I prefer a more smooth presentation.

Maybe Iā€™ll swap it around over give it another go. That might be a good call.

EDIT: The purples can indeed go in any direction.

Fyi, I used a black, blue and purple fuses. And this in arc 5, dcs Puccini, Rossini, and Vivaldi clockā€¦ so a lot of experience I think.

1 Like