Showing (off) your dCS setup - description and photos

How do you find the speakers? My dealer loves them…

I have a lovely pair of Devore O96. the CAs make the Devores really sing. I listen to vocals and classic music mostly, and the amps and pre do a wonderful job of pushing out a great soundstage. I also have a pair of Nagra VPA Mono amps that I still like to listen to.
mike

1 Like

They are amazing - don’t let the price influence a negative connotation – the X4’s are like $14K and I can only imagine how they sound verses the X2’s.

Best Sir,

Bob

2 Likes

Out of pure curiosity Bob, if you don’t mind, how many tubes total are in your system now?

Thank you,
R

Sure thing –
VAC 450iQ - each - 8 Genalex Gold Lion KT88 (total for both amps = 16)
VAC 450iQ - each - 5 Tung-Sol 6SN7GTB (total (10)
VAC Master Preamp - 2 Genalex Gold Lion 6922 (total 2). The preamp can take 2 each of the following tube types - 2x 8416, 7308, 6922, E88CC, ECC88, 6DJ8, (or 12DJ8 twin triodes)
VAC Renaissance SE phono preamp - 6 Genalex Gold Lion 12AX7.

Best Sir,

Bob

1 Like

this would be my dream speaker but …WAF! :roll_eyes:

Wow. I used to have the KT88 in my system. Fond memories… : )

New setup

13 Likes

Hi @Frankie67 ,

Can you enlighten us about what exactly has changed in your new setup?

1 Like

Hi Erno. So I have just moved the rack to the sidewall. I have replaced the AC power cord which goes to the mains with a Furutech SP-SO 32 cable and replaced all sockets with Furutech rhodium plated sockets ( FT-SWS NCF). I have also grounded each component of my system with Entreq ground boxes and also included an Etreq Cleanus passive main filter.

The system will take time to burn in and adapt but I am already experiencing a much quieterblack background with greater dynamics.

Below my current main components:

Amplifiers
Gryphon Mephisto Power Amplifier
Gryphon Commander Preamplifier
D’Agostino Momentum Phono

Speakers
Wilson Audio Sasha DAW Speakers

Digital Source
dCS Vivaldi (four stack)
SotM sNH-10G Switch + Plixir Power Elite PSU
Mutec Ref 10 120 SE External Clock + Plixir Power Elite PSU
Reiki Optical Converter + Plixir Power Elite PSU

Analog Source
Bergmann Galder Turntable
Bergmann Odin Tonearm
My Sonic Lab Signature Platinum Cartridge

Power Treatment
AC Dedicated Line
Plixir Elite BAC 3000 Power Conditioners
Entreq Olympus Infinity Tungsten
Frank Acoustics Ultra Bank 25000 Shunt Reactor
Doepke DFS Circuit Breaker

Cables
Transparent Audio Opus (full loom)

7 Likes

Thank you, Franco. Impressive! Congrats :call_me_hand:

1 Like

Terrific system!

1 Like

@Mark1961 - I’ve often wondered about Boulder’s implementation of Class A operation of their amps. Their specs state the following, ‘Bias operation is Class-A to full rated output power and managed with an analog circuit that minimizes heat and power consumption’.
I’m no EE but it seems that Boulder is trying to minimize the heat of their amps by some type of circuitry that allows the amp to operate in Class A when needed as opposed to the standard definition of Class A where the output stage of a class A amplifier is biased “ON” (conducting) all the time.

I’ve experienced this based on my Boulder 2060 vs. my Gryphon Antileon EVO amp, The Boulder 2060 was slightly warm when no musical source was playing and the Gryphon amp was fairly hot even when no source was playing. Both amps were Class A hot when playing music continuously for 10 - 15 minutes. Perhaps some folks with knowledge of various amp designs can chime in.

1 Like

I vitiated the Boulder factory before I bought the amp. It’s an impressive operation as they build their own PCBs with a pick-and-place machine and cut all the metal parts. The only thing they didn’t do was the metal anodizing. As for the class A - when music demands it increases the bias. If the load decreases it lowers the bias. As I understand it will stay in high bias for about 30 seconds regardless of load. I suppose this means it’s always ready for the next peak. I generally leave the amp on and it stays fairly cool when not playing. The sound is perfect for my taste - it’s not gritty like some solid state amps & it’s not too soft like the FET and tube amps I’ve had. I listened to their 2100 series amp vs the 1100 series and the difference was obvious. I use Eric Tingsted’s Lawn Mower song which has 2 guitar parts on top of each other. It’s the best song I’ve found to demonstrate the difference in clarity.

2 Likes

Just echoing and adding to @Mark1961’s accurate response, I find this “dynamic bias” feature of the Boulder quite attractive for higher power amps. In addition to the lower electricity consumption, there is a meaningful decrease in emitted heat.

My old Jadis only had 60 watts, versus the Boulder at 600W (into 8 ohms), and the former ran meaningfully hotter.

Separately, I once visited someone who had the 6 unit “flagship” JA800 (attached), and he said that the amp gave off so much heat that he and his wife had to listen in their underwear (!)

(Fortunately they were clothed during my visit) ; )

4 Likes

Rossini Apex → Mola Mola Perca (power amp), entirely off-grid battery powered

14 Likes

If you forgive me for saying, for a computer /work desk system, that’s mental :grinning:

5 Likes

@wusplay are those Fyne loudspeakers? And what is the brand of rack?

Looks great!

2 Likes

, Yes, is Fyne and Atacama rack.

He said he went full Gryphon, so they are Gryphon.Gryphon Pantheons.