Showing (off) your dCS setup - description and photos

That is a beautiful system for sure!

In the US, I like to buy used Nordost cables. The brand is probably the most popular high-end cable brand, so here you can typically sell a used cable for the same price as you bought the used cable.
Transparent is used all the time with Wilson speakers and ARC components, but Transparent scares me since you need to send in the cables to the factory for recalibration every time you change equipment. Not very convenient, especially if you live in a different country!

Also, I wonder if your listening room would benefit from some sound-absorbing materials on the walls behind the speakers?

I believe that Spectral recommend users to exclusively use MIT cables . I understand that this is to do with the filter in the MIT cable box which the Spectral amps are designed to work with . So I would not recommend an alternative brand in your case especially as I understand that use of Spectral amps with other cables may void the warranty.

http://spectralaudio.com/bulletins/9501.pdf

1 Like

Hello andre and many thanks for your reply.

Very interesting for Transparent Audio, I didn’t know that ! So it will be much more easier for me to go to Nordost. Thank you for that. There is some Nordost dealers in France and they can borow me Valhalla 2 AES EBU cables, for a try.

For the wall behind the speakers, it’s a good point, maybe I will try something one day. The Sovereign are “close” cabinet, not bass-reflex, and I have no problem with low frequences management. I’m more concerned with the “soundstage” who is excellent, but not as good as it could be with those speakers. Maybe a test with sound-absorbing material will help for that ?

Hello Pete Rogers.

Yes Spectral recommend MIT Cable, that’s why I use only MIT for DAC => Préamp interconnect, Préamp => Amp interconnect and Amp => Speakers cables.

But for the digital cables between the 2 DCS component, Spectral is not involved, so I suppose I can use other brand, or am I wrong ?

Yes, the MIT consideration only applies to connecting Spectral components to each other and for the power amps to speakers. Connecting third party components is not part of this regime.

I would recommend that you use this forum’s search facility as there are dozens of cable recommendations available. Use search terms; power cables, AES cables, , S/Pdif cables, ethernet cables and wordclock cables ( though I don’t think that your current setup involves the latter two).

However what tends to happen with questions like yours is that you will inevitably end up with conflicting advice. One person will say they use one brand, another a different brand a third yet another brand. I am afraid that you will just end up with several alternatives leaving you none the wiser as to which may be the best :thinking:.

1 Like

So not wrong. :wink: And as Pete observes, you’ve got lots of choices and there are plenty of opinions.

1 Like

I think it’s worth a try. Changes in room acoustics can be far more important than a component change, and much cheaper!

1 Like

10 Likes

Nice looking kit Steve! :+1:

1 Like

An update pic, moved the fraim shelves around, swapped the melco N1 for a N10, and also have a melco S100 switch on demo

11 Likes

Hi Dunc,
Is that a big step SQ wise from N1 to N10?

Looking spectacular Dunc

Best
Gregg

PS - I need to get a picture of my room up

Nice setup Duncan :+1: May I ask what speakers are you using?

In my setup, adding the clock gives a better base and high extension, and generally better sense of space/separation. (Listening using stock clock cables)

I had the N1ZS/2, which is top off the range in the N1, it sounded lovely but has a more smooth and analog sound to the N10, which i found to be more forward and open, this suited my system more and seems to work better with the rossini

1 Like

They are Pmc fact 12’s, tried a few different speakers, but my room is not exactly speaker friendly and these just worked.

Ah…thought they looked familiar. I used to have the twenty5 26’s, but they did not work in my room.

How did you like the Melco S100, together with your dCS setup?

Didn’t like it, it just robbed some dynamics from the sound.
Tried it going direct to the rossini and going through the melco N10, both ways the same disappointment, so obviously sent it back.
Not sure the Dcs stuff needs anything, as it looks like it can deal with things very well on its own, unlike other brands, that going by owners need help in this department?

Anyway saved me a few grand, and thats not what normally happens when i demo kit

2 Likes

Thanks Duncan. I will allocate my funds to the Vivaldi replacement.