Showing (off) your dCS setup - description and photos

Curious as that is exactly the opposite finding to my experience. Enhanced dynamics, orchestral instrumental timbre and three dimensionality ( sound stage) were immediately apparent.

1 Like

Yes indeed. Even if I am a happy user of the S100 getting a Vivaldi first would seem to be the right order of doing things.

1 Like

As you say the opposite, for me i couldn’t wait to remove it.
But i guess we all have different problems, when it comes to ethernet, maybe yours is very noisy and mine isn’t?
But it seems i am not the only one, to not like what the S100 does and most prefer the EtherRegen.
But tried it, it didn’t work and saved me money, so great outcome for me.

Indeed, indeed. And different preferences and sensitivities etc. Vive la difference!

1 Like

I would be willing to bet a round for all of us that the difference has more to do with what’s between our ears than any Ethernet noise or similar variable.

I’d love to disprove that Greg just to see the bar bill :laughing:

but I think you’re right

1 Like

Bartok now in rack, replaced an Auralic G2 stack.

15 Likes

Angus, are you active on PFM too by chance? Amber Audio?
Best,
Lee

Yes that’s me over on pfm.

Well, the quest continues. I’m having an additional two 20 amp circuits run, one for each amp. They’ll have Shunyata SR-z1 outlets and a Venom Defender will occupy the other plug. Power will get to the amps via Shunyata Sigma V2 NR power cords.

I also just got a Shunyata Omega XC to run my Denali power converter. The Denali powers the Vivaldi stack, and I have the Momentum HD preamp plugged into an existing 20 amp circuit for now.

The final configuration won’t be reached until the new dedicated circuits are installed. For the time being I have the amps plugged into the Denali with the Sigma power cords.

It was a huge upgrade…and I expect even more after the new 20 amp circuits are run…

If anyone is in the market for power cables checkout the new Shunyata V2 line…great reviews, and a certain winner in my system…

Slainte,

Mitch

7 Likes

Nice system…but a question however, do you plan building your own nuclear power plant ? :rofl:

Seriously, impressive stereo, it must sound great.

1 Like

Chris,

In relative terms, my power bill from the stereo went down as a result of the upgrade binge I’ve been on. I used to have Krell Evo 600 amps, that ran like toaster ovens in the standby mode. Almost all the circuitry was kept “warm” for quick startup. The Momentum 300s draw very little in off mode, and warm up pretty quickly…

Just doin my bit for the environment…

Cheers,

Mitch

I would like fighting against global warming with these fabulous amplifiers too :laughing:

2 Likes

David, I’m a big fan of 20A separate circuits for reliability purposes, and separation from other activities in the house, especially if you’ve got a lot of noisy activity, but unless your equipment was tripping relays before, I am curious why you expect a change in sound as a result of the capacity increase. Perhaps I am misreading your post.

@mitchell1079
its great that you are putting in dedicated lines.but it is better to have one dedicated line than two.you will have lower noise floor and less chances of ground loops and ground potential difference
unless you are driving big boy amps like boulder 21xx or 3x or dan relentless a single 20A circuit should be plenty.
if you really want some head room you would be better served with going for a single 30A or higher line instead of two 20A lines

3 Likes

A chap I talk to regularly (but have never met) has a Relentless. I assume he lassos the nearest power station when he feels like a listening session.

Oh the downsides of rented accommodation for us restless lot. I have no idea what’s in these walls. Likely the world’s ropiest electrical workmanship…and rats nibbling at it. Best not to think about it, provided the heat sinks on the power amps are still warm :stuck_out_tongue:

Greg,

Installing the second line, which will allow me to put an amp on its own line, with a Shunyata Defender on each, allows me to match/optimize power cable lengths. If I went with only one more outlet, the location would force me to use 2m power cables, and around .5m of that would be excess to the needs of the amp closest to the circuit. The new circuits will be equidistant from each individual amp, somewhere behind the grey bass traps in the photo below.

I may never get into the Relentless stratosphere, but the incremental cost for the second new line is minimal. I also have JL Audio Fathom 113s flanking the system on household 15 amp lines as well, and depending on where the new outlets go I might be able to plug them into the new circuits. Probably not a big deal for the subs, but having everything on lines exclusively powering the stereo couldn’t hurt…

Cheers,

Mitch

3 Likes

My setup is as follows:

Aurender W20SE Music Transport
dCS Rossini DAC
dCS Rossini Clock
Bel Canto BlackEx Dual Mono-AMP
Monitor Audio Platinum PL500-II Speakers
Speaker Plinths and Rack are Mapleshade
All cabling is Nordost Valhalla 2, QBase 8
SR Orange Fuses, Furutech NCF dedicated outlet
Kinetics acoustic panels

One cat who listens with me…

13 Likes

@CarlinSmith
Beautiful setup.
one Question.
whats the reason or thought process behind using aurender as transport instead of rossini
do you gain anything by using aurender as transport versus using your rossini
or may be you use aurender as music server instead of roon i guess?

I have a mental picture (video?) of you pressing play and kitty hitting the wall behind you :slight_smile:

Lovely system :+1:

1 Like