Showing (off) your dCS setup - description and photos

That’s an awesome system you got btw… I’d rather spend my money on audio, rather than flashy cars, etc. i found that for my system the reference clock provided a surprising level of improvement (so something to consider if you are thinking of getting a Vivaldi clock at some point), but also the subs are quite awesome (and comparatively speaking, a very worthwhile investment) with helping clean up the mid range and provide a very solid bass synergy with the Accuphase class A amps (each DB1D has 2kW class D amp).

My idea is to reclock units, that do not have a wordclock input by means of my Mutec MC-3+ USB, which is also used as a wordclock generator and controlled by my Mutec REF10 SE120.
(Photos of the system might follow once I have put the system into the new racks bought in 2019(!).)

I see… I am not knowledgeable enough to know how to do that unfortunately. For my system, I could also spend a little more on my DCS gear as I don’t run a tuner or a phono stage or a voicing equalizer. The difference between each Accuphase generation, i.e. C3850 to C3900 (and I’ve compared those two in my system) is very subtle, you really have to listen to them back to back to hear a difference - I would not spend the money to upgrade with each generation - you can easily skip a generation - maybe consider a C3950 when it comes out! The 801D4s are somewhat better than D3s (which I had before), but it is not drastic (I would say a better control of the treble and the bass drivers are improved, so the bass is better defined - but having the subs is even better). As for the cables, I was able to get a good discount from a friendly AQ dealer, so the pain was not nearly as bad as their retail pricing… (can’t say the same for my Transparent cables unfortunately). Looking forward to the photos of your system!

Dcs Bartok with Rossini clock, Burmester 032 and Focal Diablos.

16 Likes

My system has changed massively since i first posted.
Much simpler on the cable front now and with all the boxes.
Much better end result for sound quality and looks

21 Likes

For anyone interested, this is my current setup

[Using an Antipodes K50 music server, Meridian DSP7200SE speakers with an 818v3 processor, dCS Rossini Apex + clock with a Mjölnir headphone amp driving Stax headphones. Shunyata Triton v3 and Typhon QR power conditioning with Network Acoustics filters]

21 Likes

Just joined the club! Headphones-only rig (Riviera AIC-10 hybrid amp driving AB-1266 TC/Spirit Torino Valkyria, Taiko Extreme server, all plugged into the Niagara 5000 conditioner) :slight_smile:

22 Likes

Congrats! Now that is a very special headphone rig :ok_hand:

2 Likes

@simorag Did you manually rename your Rossini input to SERVER?

Nope, I don’t know how to rename inputs :laughing:

How do you connect your Taiko to the Rossini DAC? Ethernet?

I am using USB

OK thanks. This is the first time I see a Rossini DAC advertise its input as SERVER. I am used in this case to USB1. Maybe this is a Taiko thing?

Very possible, I had to change to Class 2 USB and I am using a custom driver from Taiko, specific for Rossini…

Ah, that is the explanation. So not the standard dCS USB driver.

this Taiko is a beast- did you test other servers as well f.ex. Innuos, Melco, antipod…

I had an Innuos Zenith MkII SE before moving to the Taiko.

I have not put the Extreme in comparison to similarly priced modern servers like the Antipodes K50 / Oladra, Innuos Statement, so unfortunately I cannot produce useful comparative info …

2 Likes

Very excited about some recent (major) tweaks in my system.

To start off, I’ve finally placed my stereo equipment on a dedicated AC line with a dedicated circuit breaker (https://www.doepke.de/en/products/p…sidual-current-f/for-audiophile-applications/). I am now waiting to receive a Plixir 3000 power conditioner (https://www.plixirpower.com/products/elite-bac-3000-pre-conditioner), which will sit on top of the chain just below the power circuit breaker.

I’ve changed all wall outlets with Furutech NCF Rhodium outlets (https://www.furutech.com/tech). All electronics are now connected to these outlets, except for the dCS Vivaldi and the D’Agostino Momentum phono stage which are connected to a Transparent Audio Reference Isolator.

I have connected the Gryphon Essence Mono amps, the Gryphon Pandora preamp, the D’Agostino Momentum phono stage and the dCS Vivaldi dac to Entreq ground boxes.

Finally, I’ve replaced all fuses with Synergistic Research Purple fuses.

All of the above has been done only some days ago and obviously needs some break-in but I can assure you that it has moved the system to an incredible level of expressiveness. More to come…

8 Likes

Any pictures ?

1 Like

Here you go

18 Likes